Shopping Discussion

Canadacomputers selling open boxed products as new?! (Online)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2013 11:04 am
Tags:
None
May 3, 2011
144 posts
29 upvotes
Hamilton

Canadacomputers selling open boxed products as new?! (Online)

I bought this from CC online store:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=046561

They ended up sending me an open-box power supply with stickers and a cable missing!!!

I called CC to tell them. They wanted me to go through the RMA process to get a new powersupply. I complained and they agreed to send a new unit to a store and I could exchange in-store.

This feels like a bait and switch. Am I overreacting?

I have never liked shopping an CC.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Gunfunk wrote:
I have never liked shopping an CC.
Then don't shop there. Pretty simple.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 3, 2011
144 posts
29 upvotes
Hamilton
Hugh Jass wrote: Then don't shop there. Pretty simple.
Do you think it's ok for them to send an open-box unit?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
It's not a bait and switch (the most frequently overused and misunderstood phrase on RFD by far).

This could very well be just a simple mistake, so yes, I do believe you're overreacting.

CC replaced the PSU without hassle, case closed.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Gunfunk wrote: Do you think it's ok for them to send an open-box unit?
Not all, you paid for new that's what you should receive. But I made no reference to that.

I hate CC and wouldn't give them a cent. You said you never liked shopping there, yet continue to do so. Why?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
cwb27 wrote: It's not a bait and switch (the most frequently overused and misunderstood phrase on RFD by far).

This could very well be just a simple mistake, so yes, I do believe you're overreacting.

CC replaced the PSU without hassle, case closed.
They'll just send it to the next customer and hope they need it asap and dont complain.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 3, 2011
144 posts
29 upvotes
Hamilton
Hugh Jass wrote: They'll just send it to the next customer and hope they need it asap and dont complain.
I think I was the next customer
May 3, 2011
144 posts
29 upvotes
Hamilton
Hugh Jass wrote: You said you never liked shopping there, yet continue to do so. Why?
I guess I wanted to save some money (this PSU is pretty expensive...)

I thought online companies were selling identical products.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Gunfunk wrote: I think I was the next customer
:)
Gunfunk wrote: I guess I wanted to save some money (this PSU is pretty expensive...)

I thought online companies were selling identical products.
Reputable ones...yes. What's CC's reputation? Best prices, that's all.

But as cwb27 said, it's over, move on and don't trust CC in the future.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6697 posts
266 upvotes
St. Catharines
Typical CC service but I'm afraid most the major computer stores are no better. CC or NCIX, Newegg.ca will try and stick it to you anytime, you give them a chance. Never buy from them without using a credit card or Pay Pal for protection.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3013 posts
270 upvotes
Kingston
Image if you spent within your means then you wouldn't have this problem
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4438 posts
1927 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
starboy869 wrote: Image if you spent within your means then you wouldn't have this problem
Whatever you're trying to say, in pretty sure you're trying to be patronizing. Take your baseless judgement elsewhere.
Jan 5, 2009
573 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I stopped patronizing Canada Computers a long time ago. But yet they continue to expand and the forum is always full of complaints. Pretty much consider anything you buy there as FINAL SALE, refurb, open box and missing parts.
May 3, 2011
144 posts
29 upvotes
Hamilton
figment wrote: I stopped patronizing Canada Computers a long time ago. But yet they continue to expand and the forum is always full of complaints. Pretty much consider anything you buy there as FINAL SALE, refurb, open box and missing parts.
Well they are allowing an exchange for free (or until they tell me different), so it's ok overall.

I just think it is wrong to sell a NEW product and shipping an OPEN-BOX item.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3470 posts
728 upvotes
GTA
CC is horrible, I bought a hdd last year and they gave me insane trouble when I returned it 2 hours later because it was dead when connected. Never shopping there again.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
I've only bought stuff from their store so didn't have any bad experience.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
May 3, 2011
144 posts
29 upvotes
Hamilton
It is only fair to mention that I was able to exchange the psu today for a brand new one. They called me when it was received in store.

The customer service guy was very confused as the instructions came from hq, but he quickly exchanged it. No papers/money/invoices exchanged.
May 22, 2013
214 posts
33 upvotes
The definition of new under Canadian law is "in the same condition as when originally manufactured", or words to that effect. The fact an item is open-box because it was previously sold and returned does not necessarily mean it is not "new". The previous buyer may have simply pulled it out of the box, looked it over and decided it sucked, and then stuck it back in the box without even plugging it in.

When merch is returned, the staff at any retailer or e-tailer cannot possibly know if absolutely everything that was originally in the box is still there. It's unreasonable to expect them to know and remember the specifics of what every manufacturer puts in every product carton.

Assume it was an honest mistake, and if the merchant offers to make it right, let it go at that.