Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Canadian tire torque wrench $53.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2014 4:06 pm
45 replies
Jun 21, 2007
997 posts
235 upvotes
Milton, ON
They have this deal every few weeks or months.
Mar 13, 2005
345 posts
41 upvotes
Better deal is the Breaker bar for $9.69
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2959 posts
2496 upvotes
Scarborough
You can't even spell Canadian? REALLY? Please say you typed this on your mobile device :(
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
Buy this. I picked it up a few months ago at the last sale (Both the wrench and breaker bar for ~$60).

Used it to swap the tires a few weeks ago, it's a great deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1983 posts
389 upvotes
Aurora
dumbass wrote: Better deal is the Breaker bar for $9.69
If someone needs a torque wrench why buy a breaker bar? The Walmart noodles are a pretty good deal too.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
I had also bought the breaker bar just to deal with emergency tire change if I get a flat on the road when I go on a long trip.

Torque wrenches need calibration every year ( Even if you dont use it or use it rarely) .. at least that is what is mentioned in the technical documents ( google it you may find it) and this is the reason I dont buy torque wrenches. Be careful , the warranty is for bad wrench and not the bad calibration. The calibration itself costs the price of torque wrench . So to me if you dont get it calibrated, you risk using it to torque at wrong settings which itself defies the whole purpose you bought it for.

Hence I prefer paying 20 bucks to a shop each season to change my tires. They torque it properly and their wreches are calibrated
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
Asker123 wrote: I had also bought the breaker bar just to deal with emergency tire change if I get a flat on the road when I go on a long trip.

Torque wrenches need calibration every year ( Even if you dont use it or use it rarely) .. at least that is what is mentioned in the technical documents ( google it you may find it) and this is the reason I dont buy torque wrenches. Be careful , the warranty is for bad wrench and not the bad calibration. The calibration itself costs the price of torque wrench . So to me if you dont get it calibrated, you risk using it to torque at wrong settings which itself defies the whole purpose you bought it for.

Hence I prefer paying 20 bucks to a shop each season to change my tires. They torque it properly and their wreches are calibrated
The calibration only matters if you are building a spaceship, not changing your tires. Being off by 3-5 lb/ft isn't the end of the world. If you have major concern mid-season re-torque them to ensure they are all still tight.

Any mainstream shop is looking to get cars in and out as fast as they can during tire change season so they can make as much money as possible. Plus they are taking the liability if one of your wheels falls a week after leaving the shop. For these reasons they will gladly over-torque your lugnuts just to make sure they stay on, and to save time looking up and recalibrating their torque wrench for each car.

When you take your car back to a shop to have them changed, they loosen the nuts using the same wrench. But if you try doing it by hand the first time you can definitely tell which nuts were over tightened by their wrench when you are jumping on the breaker bar trying to free them up.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Asker123 wrote: Hence I prefer paying 20 bucks to a shop each season to change my tires. They torque it properly and their wreches are calibrated
Tire shop torquing lug nuts properly? :facepalm:

I've seen one shop in my life that hand-torques nuts and they went out of business. The rest all play the NASCAR pit crew game and the nuts are fired to at least twice the spec'd torque - it's about getting you out of their shop as quick as possible and minimizing the chance of your wheels falling off(never mind the stuck nuts when you need to change them out the next season, that brings you back).
Apr 5, 2008
691 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
Does anyone know what the calibration mechanism is and if it is feasible to calibrate yourself? I wouldn't imagine it to be too difficult to put a known weight on the end, multiple by length, and read the torque T = f * d
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2076 posts
96 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
dumbass wrote: Better deal is the Breaker bar for $9.69
Where where I need it
Right Now :D
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Super_Chicken wrote: The calibration only matters if you are building a spaceship, not changing your tires. Being off by 3-5 lb/ft isn't the end of the world. If you have major concern mid-season re-torque them to ensure they are all still tight.

Any mainstream shop is looking to get cars in and out as fast as they can during tire change season so they can make as much money as possible. Plus they are taking the liability if one of your wheels falls a week after leaving the shop. For these reasons they will gladly over-torque your lugnuts just to make sure they stay on, and to save time looking up and recalibrating their torque wrench for each car.

When you take your car back to a shop to have them changed, they loosen the nuts using the same wrench. But if you try doing it by hand the first time you can definitely tell which nuts were over tightened by their wrench when you are jumping on the breaker bar trying to free them up.
Ok that is a good explanation. Other thing stops me changing my tires myself is that - Don't tire loose air pressure lying unused ( This is the first time I switched to winter tires so no prior experience) . So if they loose pressure, anyways I would need to load them in the car, take to gas station and fill air before installing on the car.. right... That again defies the purpose of buying the tire changing things like torque wrench because one logic people give to change tire yourself is that if we change ourselves, we dont need to load/unload them in the car. If I have to load them to my car anyways to fill air, why not just take them to the Garage to switch.....
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
3164 posts
3358 upvotes
57330 downvotes
Mir wrote: Where where I need it
Right Now :D
Canadian Tire, Today?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2076 posts
96 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
KiraSensei wrote: Canadian Tire, Today?
I looked and Looked (Browse via Internet) couldn't find it. Search came back with 2 results $39.99 or $49.99 Link
Dec 21, 2008
255 posts
161 upvotes
Asker123 wrote: Ok that is a good explanation. Other thing stops me changing my tires myself is that - Don't tire loose air pressure lying unused ( This is the first time I switched to winter tires so no prior experience) . So if they loose pressure, anyways I would need to load them in the car, take to gas station and fill air before installing on the car.. right... That again defies the purpose of buying the tire changing things like torque wrench because one logic people give to change tire yourself is that if we change ourselves, we dont need to load/unload them in the car. If I have to load them to my car anyways to fill air, why not just take them to the Garage to switch.....
A 'healthy' tire doesn't lose that much air if any. I've never had a flat on the 6 sets of tires I swap. Also, why go to the gas station and pay $1/fill when you can buy a small tire compressor for $30.00 at Canadian Tire?
El Cheapo

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)