Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 31, 2005
183 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto

Canadian Appliance Source Service Experiences

Canadian Appliance has been mentioned a fair bit here RFD when it comes to appliances and I'm wondering how their customer service has been lately. I'm considering buying a kitchen set (fridge, range, dw, hood) from them but after reading some reviews on their sketchy delivery service in the past it makes me hesitate taking the plunge. A lot of those reviews were from 2010-13 so I'm wondering if they've improved...anyone purchase & take delivery from them in the past year or so?
16 replies
Sep 30, 2010
50 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I've been keeping an eye on prices on CA and they do fluctuate in prices. For example, a double oven I've been looking at will go up several hundred dollars from one week to another then back down again. They're probably hoping to score on someone who's not paying attention.

I've also compared prices with Futureshop.ca and FS seems to bear their prices on several appliances.

You could probably price match but ultimately it's all about shopping around.
Sep 30, 2010
50 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Last year I purchased a Whirlpool washer and dryer from CA and had nothing but excellent service from the salesperson to delivery. I was satisfied with the price and they delivered on time as promised.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6070 posts
895 upvotes
Mississauga
I was not happy with customer service when I purchased a washer and dryer last year. Both sales rep and a CSR on the phone gave me false information that my appliances would be delivered in a week or two . Also never received a return call from sales rep to get a realistic ETA. After waiting two months for my appliances they messed up my delivery appt and tried to blame their mistake on me. Delivery was deferred another week because of this. The delivery guys were nice though - that was the only bright spot with my purchase.

Even though I'm really satisfied with my washer and dryer, I won't be buying from Canadian Appliance Source again.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1661 posts
548 upvotes
Kitchener
seems like a ymmv sitch... BUT... I bought a $3100 range for $1500... so I could put up with some crap... but, oddly enough... I didn't have to... whole transaction was smooth as a dogs cock... lol... so to speak...
[OP]
Dec 31, 2005
183 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
I had no idea a dog's cock can be so... ummm... so yeah definitely sounds a ymmv deal. Thanks for chiming in guys. I'll talk to the sales rep and relay my concerns re: delivery at least for the record.
[OP]
Dec 31, 2005
183 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
TYG3R wrote:
Feb 17th, 2015 8:51 am
My experience was good:

[url]One thing to watch out for is the 25% restocking fee for cancelled orders - my sales person didn't mention that, just saw it on the statement after we made the deposit.
Good to know, thx.
Dec 12, 2010
8 posts
4 upvotes
Kanata
We just had a crap, prolonged experience with Canadian Appliance Source... Hope other people make out better!
FYI, here's the review I left on their facebook page, BBB and google reviews:

The online reviews for CAS that we checked out beforehand were Hit-and-Miss but we decided to chance it anyway because their website said they had the appliance we wanted at the best price in town. BAD DECISION. We bought a fridge online Dec 16th with delivery scheduled for Dec 23rd, the only option available to us before Christmas. No where on the website did it say that the fridge was back-ordered, out of stock or would require additional time for delivery. Nevertheless, we got a call Dec 21st that the fridge would be back-ordered until Monday, Jan 11th. At that time, we were told we would get a call on or before that date to schedule delivery. We received no call on Jan 11th by 4:45pm so we called them. We were told we would receive a call by the end of the week to schedule delivery if we hadn't already received the appliance. Thursday, Dec 14th, 4:45pm we had heard nothing again so called in to inquire. We were told that the manufacturer had only just received the item. When we asked for clarification because we didn't understand why the manufacturer wasn't the one "making" the appliance and why would the manufacturer just be getting it if it was made by them, we were answered with derision. The agent refused to give us a delivery date upon which we could depend. She refused to even call us next week with an update, saying that she couldn't do that, she could only call when the fridge was ready for delivery. She argued with us that we chose a delivery date that was never possible to begin with so it wasn't her fault. We said we didn't choose, it was the only option available and that we understand this situation is not HER fault, personally, but she is the one answering the phone so she's the one who has to explain. I have to say that the agent answering the inquiry about Ottawa deliveries was not professional in how she spoke with us at all. She got very agitated when we "didn't understand" what she was saying because it wasn't making any logical sense (it wasn't clear if she just didn't understand the process herself or just had no patience) and even said "since we're just talking in circles, I'm going to hang up now". I would have assumed a company would like to ensure their customers understand what you're saying, no matter how long it takes you, the expert??, to explain and, at least, leave the conversation feeling like their concerns have been heard if they cannot be met instead of condescended. Unfortunately, we were not valued this way. In fact, we were further insulted because when we requested a refund we were laughed at. We were further scoffed at when we brought up contacting PayPal and our credit card company with a dispute over the purchase. She basically wished us luck. At this point, she said she wanted to hang up because we were talking in circles so I asked to speak with a manager. Of course, no manager was present at that time so I left a message stating our displeasure and requesting a response as soon as possible. Last evening, we started the PayPal dispute process. Today, just after noon, we received a phone call from Andre from a 416 area code on behalf of CAS. He said that they would not have this particular fridge in stock or in Ottawa (I can't recall at this point) until Feb 9th and still could not guarantee a delivery date. He suggested that he could give us a slightly different fridge at his discount instead but we would be expected to pay the extra $100 difference in purchase price. A better fridge, that was in stock and ready to deliver but we'd have to pay more for it after waiting nearly a month for what we already ordered at a cheaper price?? That didn't make a lot of sense to us. So we requested a full and immediate refund. This request was granted and we were told it would take up to 48 hours to process. Thankfully, we have already this afternoon received notification from PayPal that our purchase price has been refunded and the dispute closed. In conclusion, we will NEVER attempt to purchase from this company again and will STRONGLY discourage everyone I meet from doing so as well.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1603 posts
441 upvotes
Mississauga
My Experience was fairly good in September 2015. I ordered four items, but one item was back-ordered for 2 weeks, then another 2 weeks, then 1 week. It was a not so popular gas dryer which was back-ordered at other major retailers so I went prepared for a delay. Every couple of days I just checked the status online then follow up with an email inquiring about my 4th item. They usually replied within the day.

In-store ordering, order follow up and delivery crew were great. I even paid for an extended warranty and had second thoughts so I asked for a refund and got my money back.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4747 posts
1314 upvotes
ON
I've dealt with them before. Haggled on the price plus warranty and they gave me a better deal than I could find online even in the US (this was 3-4 years ago). Delivered as promised . No issues. Smooth as a dog's coat.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2165 posts
249 upvotes
Ancaster
We had no problems buying a new fridge in August 2015.

We skipped the online purchase & went to the store at the Heartland Centre. The process was painless...we paid about $50 less in store than the online price.

Delivery was seamless. The main delivery doing the lion's share of the work was very animated & engaging and left us with positive impression of CAS.
Mar 13, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
After researching stoves/ovens we decided to go with Canadian Appliance Source in Hamilton as they had the best price.

My husband was home when the delivery was made. Our old oven was carried out to the truck and the new oven was brought in to the house. This is where the problems started.

One of the delivery guys pushed the oven into the slide in space. We all heard a crack and I could tell by the expression on the guys face that something was wrong. There was a 2 inch piece of our new high end laminate countertop missing on one side and a chip on the other side. One of the delivery guys said to my husband "maybe you can finish pushing it all the way in. But my husband could not get the stove to move because it had been wedged in and was not straight.

The delivery guy that chipped the counter indicated that they had to get going and asked us to sign the invoice. We were not left with a copy.

The delivery company is independent of CAS
and would not admit liability. In fact when I called a supervisor I was told that the delivery guy claimed he never pushed the oven in - he claimed my husband did that.

Bottom line...this is a prime example of getting what you pay for. In the past we always went local with Sears. This time we took a chance - buyer beware - neither the appliance company or the delivery company will stand behind you should anything go wrong... never again will we make this mistake!!
Banned
Sep 27, 2017
16 posts
9 upvotes
Stay away from this company. Last year I bought a washer from them, paid for delivery, they took an extra 3 weeks to deliver the washer. Not only that, the washer broke on the first day, called Canadian Appliance Source and some guy named anil picked up and long story short they said it was not their problem anymore after delivery and blamed us for waiting 3 weeks to report any problems and trying to trick them, I told them their delivery was 3 weeks LATE and I only got the washer yesterday that is why it was their fault and they still deny and lie just to try to get off the hook for pulling this scam. We ended up called LG and seeing if they have a warranty for such a thing, they ended up sending a repairman over and took a look at it and he said it was a used washer and there was damage to because it was repaired wrong by Canadian Appliance Source and I told them Canadian Appliance Source said it was a new washer and he said they are wrong.

The repairman suggested I get a refund and I told him about my previous conversation with anil and what a dishonest company they run and how it is so unlikely they will do the right thing and give a refund. LG guy asked how did I pay and I told him with my credit card and he said I should take it up with my credit card company and do a chargeback. LG guy gave us a copy of the work report and left his contact info and extension just in case I needed him to back me up and we thanked him and he wished us the best of luck.

Afterwards I called Visa and told them I wanted to do a chargeback due to Canadian Appliance Source selling me broken goods and they mislead me saying it was a new washer instead it was an old one. So I gave them the store info, pictures of receipts, emailed them the work report from the LG repairman etc, Visa also ended up asking for pictures of the damage a week later and about 3 months even later I got a call back and they finished investigating and they would issue me a full refund. I am glad Visa was able to get my money back, I never want to deal with such a company like Canadian Appliance Source again, I recommend everyone just buy their appliance elsewhere.