Off Topic Archive

Locked: Canadian bank debit cards in the states?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2005 11:14 am
Tags:
None
Jun 14, 2004
947 posts

Canadian bank debit cards in the states?

My friend was wondering if he can use his bank debit card (TD canada trust) in the states to make purchases...he doesn't have a c.c.

Thanks
Share:
30 replies
Jul 5, 2004
21389 posts
1585 upvotes
I don't know whether it's possible or not, but my professor was telling me that he went to the states once, ate at a nice restaurant, and when he tried to pay debit, they refused to take his card because it was from a non-American bank.

They even refused to take his credit card because it was also from a Canadian bank.

So even if the card will work, your friend may run into a business which will refuse to accept it.

You know how Americans are.
Jan 13, 2004
387 posts
Binbrook
x21hx wrote:My friend was wondering if he can use his bank debit card (TD canada trust) in the states to make purchases...he doesn't have a c.c.

Thanks
Nope, you can't use them in the states. So make sure he brings enough cash or has someone with him that can charge everything on CC.

F
[OP]
Jun 14, 2004
947 posts
Ok, thanks guys for the info...
Aug 18, 2004
31 posts
Check with you individual bank on this one. I've never had a problem making debit purchases in the US, but I checked with my bank before going down. I bank with CIBC and all they do is they charge you a fee for making an international debit then they charge you for the exchange rate (which I'll point out is a rip off).

My advice - take cash. It's not worth paying the service fees to make that debit purchase.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3775 posts
62 upvotes
i'm a little surprised at some of the experiences written here. i've never had a problem using either my debit card or credit cards (visa, mc, amex) in the u.s. or in several other countries, for that matter.

i thought the whole idea behind visa was that it was "accepted everywhere. . ."

besides, at the very worst, your friend can go to any atm in the u.s. and draw out american currency (at the bank designated conversion rate). if you take a look at the back of your debit card, there are symbols for "plus" and "cirrus" and probably one or more other international banking systems. this means that your card will be accepted at any atms that run with the same system.

that DEFINITELY will work.
Jul 20, 2004
639 posts
23 upvotes
I have never had a problem either making Debit puchases in stores, using my debit card to withdraw money from ATM machines or using my VISA while travelling in the States
Sep 21, 2003
491 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
I've never tried to use debit cards elsewhere, but I have used them to withdraw money in US, Europe and Asia with no problem. You just need to find a bank that accepts Cirrus or Plus . To me that's the easiest thing. Use your credit card as much as you can and just make cash withdrawals for when you need cash.
Jan 13, 2004
387 posts
Binbrook
wanna_be wrote:I have never had a problem either making Debit puchases in stores, using my debit card to withdraw money from ATM machines or using my VISA while travelling in the States
I was in Drums, PA a few weeks back and I attempted to use my debit card a numerous different stores (fast food, and the mall) and none of them accepted Canadian debit cards...like I said earlier...your credit card WILL be accepted ANYWHERE in the world...especially VISA or MC...some places won't take AE or smaller companies cards...I also tried using my debit card at an ATM in the states and it was a no go...but I used my credit card to withdrawl cash...horrible cost involved when you factor in exchange, banking fee and credit card fee for withdrawling cash.

Your best bet is to bring a bit (few hundred) in travallers cheques and bring your trusty MC. Nuff said...

F
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2217 posts
75 upvotes
Ottawa
I was able to use my CIBC debit card years at an ATM ago in the USA. As long as they have affilianted associations, you're good. Say, the ATM says it accepts Interac Cirrus, or Interac Plus, you'll be able to use it.

~V79~
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
1323 posts
I agree, I had no problems getting cash from an ATM with my bank card.. as long as one of the logos on the machine match one of the logos on the card (Cirrus, Plus, etc).

Lots of places don't even accept direct debit as a method of payment though, and a few didn't like it because they didn't recognize the card or it was Canadian but once I convinced them to try it was fine.

Never had a problem with my Mastercard or Amex anywhere.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Those who were able to use their bank cards (not credit card) for a debit transaction (not at an ATM) in the US: do you have a Cirrus or Maestro logo on the back? I think that's the only way it will work, if at all...
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
1323 posts
I have both the Cirrus and Maestro logo on my bank card.
Feb 17, 2002
908 posts
15 upvotes
I used my PC Financial Debit card a few times in San Francisco.

Their bank machines also accepted it to withdraw money from.. I think it was "Bank of America."
Jun 8, 2004
228 posts
16 upvotes
Hamilton
i asked my bank this question a while ago (TD can trust) and the teller told me that debit is possible but it depends on the store. she said that ATM's should work but they debit your acct the exchange PLUS a service fee (i think she said the fee was something like $4.50 USD)
× < >