• Nov 22nd, 2012 12:24 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 15, 2009
323 posts
108 upvotes
North America

Canadian Department Store Cards List

This thread is a list of Canadian department store cards (not Visa nor MasterCard) that are currently available. Department store cards are a great way to establish Canadian credit for young adults, immigrants, and seasonal residents / non-residents. This type of non-secured credit is usually easier to get. Please add to this thread if you know of any other department store cards.

CAPITAL ONE
HBC (also for use at la Baie, the Bay, Esso, Fields, Home Outfitters, & R.I.P. Zellers)

CHASE
Best Buy
Future Shop
Sears (also for use at Sears Outlet)

CITI (requires Canadian ID, but not in QC / PQ)
Home Depot
IKEA (apply in store)

DESJARDINS (requires Canadian ID)
RONA (also for use at Botanix, Réno-Dépôt, & Totem Building Supplies)
Staples / Bureau en Gros

PACIFIC & WESTERN BANK OF CANADA (apply in store)
Home Hardware

SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (formerly GE Money)
Chevron (also for use at Texaco)
Lowe's

TDFS | TD Financing Services (formerly HSBC - http://www.hsbcfinance.ca )
The Brick
United Furniture Warehouse
Visions Electronics
15 replies
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Chase also issues Best Buy store credit card
Aug 15, 2009
323 posts
108 upvotes
North America
Thanks for the Best Buy tip, I missed that one. I wish you could use the cards between the stores, supposedly the Future Shop card can only be used at its locations and not its sister stores, aka Best Buy.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3302 posts
1042 upvotes
Alberta
The Brick used to use Citi in addition to HSBC, but I am unsure if they still do.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Not sure theres much more to add to that list, as Canadian Tire, Walmart etc... scraped their store cards for Mastercards. I believe the same will happen eventually with HBC and Sears, as they already have Mastercards.
Aug 15, 2009
323 posts
108 upvotes
North America
I know the stand-alone Petro-Canada card went bye-bye recently. I'm not sure about the abandonment of the HBC and Sears cards though. I think a lot folks have them (those two cards in particular) because they can't qualify for a Visa or MasterCard.

I wonder what happens to one's score when the private-label cards are shut down (for everyone).
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
I don't know if Desjardins Accord'D really belongs here, but I'll say it anyways.

You know those "don't pay a cent event" or "no interest for 90 days/1 year/forever" promos that many businesses have? Well, a lot of them are thru Desjardins.

Go here> http://www.desjardins.com/en/particulie ... chands.jsp <for a list of merchants that accept it.

We bought some furniture from Leons, and used their "0 interest, 0 payments for 2 years" thing that they always have on. It's thru Desjardins, and once you're approved they'll send you a card you can use at any Accord'D retailers. They give you a credit limit and keep track of all the ins and outs of each purchase.

After we did it, within a week I got an invitation from Desjardins for their Visa. Now I have a Desjardins Visa, but it also has a separate credit limit just for Accord'D purchases. So in theory I can walk into Leons (or any of the other retailers who accept it) and buy something on their promo and get it instantly approved using this card.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
4205 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
Does anyone know which card is the least strict?
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Sep 24, 2010
917 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
kocoman wrote: Does anyone know which card is the least strict?
Do you mean, which is easiest to get?
I don't know the answer, but I know someone who applied for Sears and Leons' and were declined so I have an impression that those are probably some of the strict ones...
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
panda470 wrote: Do you mean, which is easiest to get?
I don't know the answer, but I know someone who applied for Sears and Leons' and were declined so I have an impression that those are probably some of the strict ones...
Sears is issued by Chase, which is probably one of the stricter lenders, and Leon's cards is now a Visa card issued by Dejardins. Visa= higher credit criteria
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
4205 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
Is there a list of what card check which bureau? I don't have credit history with TU (I get the error "The system was unable to get enough information from the credit profile to complete this process.")

What about for person with no credit history?

thanks
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
kocoman wrote: Is there a list of what card check which bureau? I don't have credit history with TU (I get the error "The system was unable to get enough information from the credit profile to complete this process.")

What about for person with no credit history?

thanks
For a person with no credit history, I imagine your only option would be a secured credit card either from the bank you deal with, or there's Hometrust that offers a secured Visa, People's Trust that offers a secured MasterCard, and Capital One that issues guaranteed credit cards (probably really low limit). I don't see any issuer giving you a normal card with no credit history. 5 years ago, maybe, highly doubtful these days.
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.

May 11, 2012
101 posts
3 upvotes
VANCOUVER
wayne74 wrote: Sears is issued by Chase, which is probably one of the stricter lenders, and Leon's cards is now a Visa card issued by Dejardins. Visa= higher credit criteria
Interesting. Would anyone know ease of qualification for the citi and hsbc cards? I know hbc and capital one is pretty easy.
Thx
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Home Hardware also has a card. The provider is Pacific and Western Bank.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
anthonykim wrote: Interesting. Would anyone know ease of qualification for the citi and hsbc cards? I know hbc and capital one is pretty easy.
Thx
I would imagine the basic rules of credit granting would apply for pretty much any lender. Minimal inquires in previous 12 months, low utilization on current accounts, and not an excessive amount of recently opened accounts should get you approved for at least their minimum. Assuming your credit file isn't riddled with negatives. Credit isn't as easy to get these days as it was say 5 or 6 years ago IMO.