Travel

Canadian driver's license valid in Spain?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2006 8:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 14, 2005
819 posts
38 upvotes

Canadian driver's license valid in Spain?

I'm about to book a rental car in Spain for one week starting this Wednesday! This just crossed my mind: Do I need an international license or is my Nova Scotia one fine?

Thanks.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
1626 posts
40 upvotes
you can use it it most of europe wo a problem
if u want u can go to caa and purchase an internationl 1yr one.
my advice is, try not to drive i europe, specially spain/italy
most of their cars r 5 speed (no problem to me) but it might, specially if u don't drive agressively (mtl experience driving skills will come in handy)
just take the train to go around it's cheap and eficient, plus ur on vacation...

i also remember over ther double parking is very common, they leave the hand breaks off so people can move their car if required
eljay wrote:I'm about to book a rental car in Spain for one week starting this Wednesday! This just crossed my mind: Do I need an international license or is my Nova Scotia one fine?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1609 posts
67 upvotes
Rented a car in Spain two years ago...they didn't even ask to see a driver's license. Study up on international road signs...they can be very confusing at high speed, especially if you are in Basque areas where the signs are in Catalan and not Spanish....
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3680 posts
266 upvotes
From what I've heard your license will work in Spain (can say for sure it's valid in Germany, would assume it's valid in Spain as well). However, depending on your province it might be wise to get an international drivers permit. It's only $15, and although it looks pretty mickey mouse, it's very similar to pieces of european ID. I had a few problems with people thinking my Ontario license was fake ID, and my ex had a lot of problems with her Quebec license, as the birthdate isn't explicitly stated but within the number.

So for $15 you can potentially save yourself some hassle, money well spent IMO.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24879 posts
2466 upvotes
Ottawa
redkid wrote:you can use it it most of europe wo a problem
if u want u can go to caa and purchase an internationl 1yr one.
my advice is, try not to drive i europe, specially spain/italy
most of their cars r 5 speed (no problem to me) but it might, specially if u don't drive agressively (mtl experience driving skills will come in handy)
just take the train to go around it's cheap and eficient, plus ur on vacation...

i also remember over ther double parking is very common, they leave the hand breaks off so people can move their car if required
The requirement fo an International Drivers license is somewhat vague. Some rental agencies will require you have one. I recently encountered this with National rentals in Italy. There is some kind of deal with CAA as it is the only place you can get an internations license.
Oh, you can get automatics in Spain (all of Europe actually) if you request it. It will cost a lot more though.
I drive in Europe frequently and find it quite enjoyable, no worse actually than any of our major cities and, highway driving is no issue at all. Parking is also not a problem in most places I have been (small towns and big cities), just like anywhere else, you have to look for parking spots. International and local sineage is different than here, so you will need to pay attention to the information on the map you buy. The local maps have all sorts of good ifo on them, or check with your CAA office for drivers info.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2005
819 posts
38 upvotes
Thanks everyone.

Well, since I'm leaving tomorrow night, I'll leave it at Canadian license only. :)

I'm from Europe, so a small manual car with double-digit horsepower, twisty roads, and three cars next to each other on a two-way highway feels just like home. ;)
× < >