• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2020 6:16 pm
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5203 posts
2486 upvotes
Vancity
Waste less food, or eat less (most ppl in the country over-eat). If that doesn't work, buy shares in companies that benefit from the price increase.
signature closed for renovation
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
Article from September 2020?
But yeah things are more expensive.
Excuse: “covid19”
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
Rich get richer, poor ones get covid and pay more for everything after/if they recover.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1556 posts
1391 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I always watch what I buy. The price of some things can stand the test of time and not increase so much with inflation. I can piece together a super cheap (considering inflation) string of groceries for meal prep from Dollarama, Walmart, and Costco.

People are also hoarding and consuming more - likely out of boredom, and for the dopamine.

Another aspect they don't look at - is maybe, the smart ones at least, are cutting down their spending on the trillion dollar fast food industry. And by eating at home and learning useful life skills such as cooking or even catching/growing their own food, they learn to be more self sufficient and save even more money than they would otherwise have spent on dine-in and take-out, which the quality of is likely going down among all of this, and we are really just being guilted at this point to spend more on such extravagances.

Also - delivery/convenience fees and grocery services.

And people working these essential services obviously deserve to make more. I don't mind that cost somewhat covered by consumers but a lot of the big companies really need to step up.

100's more isn't anything crazy though, however due to the debt ratios in this country this could break some people if they don't start taking more control of their finances and cutting some unnecessary purchases out.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
$695 increase on an average 13K grocery bill. That's 5% increase - hardly anything to scream at. Again, the headlines are meant to generate a certain emotion, and the meat is in the details (pun intended).
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
For next summer Ill finally get my backyard garden going

Im by no means panicking but ill do my part here in decreasing my grocery bill.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4963 posts
562 upvotes
GTA
Dont worry.. the wonderful Trudeau will keep hiking up the carbon taxes.. cost of groceries will increase every year $1k.. what did people think would happen?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
tehwegz wrote: I always watch what I buy. The price of some things can stand the test of time and not increase so much with inflation. I can piece together a super cheap (considering inflation) string of groceries for meal prep from Dollarama, Walmart, and Costco.

People are also hoarding and consuming more - likely out of boredom, and for the dopamine.

Another aspect they don't look at - is maybe, the smart ones at least, are cutting down their spending on the trillion dollar fast food industry. And by eating at home and learning useful life skills such as cooking or even catching/growing their own food, they learn to be more self sufficient and save even more money than they would otherwise have spent on dine-in and take-out, which the quality of is likely going down among all of this, and we are really just being guilted at this point to spend more on such extravagances.

Also - delivery/convenience fees and grocery services.

And people working these essential services obviously deserve to make more. I don't mind that cost somewhat covered by consumers but a lot of the big companies really need to step up.

100's more isn't anything crazy though, however due to the debt ratios in this country this could break some people if they don't start taking more control of their finances and cutting some unnecessary purchases out.
You lost me at Dollarama groceries point.
Oct 15, 2018
195 posts
266 upvotes
Dont know why the big drama. Grocery has been going up every single year for the past 34 years. And Im pretty sure that it has always been creeping higher every year for much longer than that.

This is not news except that the media like to come up with stuff like this just to get some clicks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
Property tax went up by the same percentage in Vancouver so this isn’t exactly shocking. Cost of living will go up even more when the government needs to balance all the covid spending this year (or that will be the excuse).
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
Paigne wrote: Property tax went up by the same percentage in Vancouver so this isn’t exactly shocking. Cost of living will go up even more when the government needs to balance all the covid spending this year (or that will be the excuse).
Wait for Toronto's first and creative move to get more money

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)