Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1109 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Canadian ISP is Blocking Kodi

Recently, I noticed that a few Kodi add-ons no longer work. However, these add-ons work when I am connected to my VPN, so I fired an email to my ISP this morning and received a confirmation this afternoon that they had begun blocking Kodi.

Just want to give everyone a heads up that if you're a CIK Telecom customer, either choose a different provider or purchase a VPN to circumvent ISP censorship.
73 replies
Jun 20, 2017
29 posts
11 upvotes
Same as Carrytel. So I just left and moved to Bell.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1403 upvotes
Richmond
How would they "block Kodi"? It's a local media player that doesn't even need an internet connection to play local content. Even Kodi add-ons would have to be blocked individually - they're all different, communicating with different web urls. Maybe they're blocking a specific add-on that you're using? But Kodi add-ons stop working on their own quite frequently due to haphazard support, and apparently a bunch recently stopped working because a lawsuit knocked tvaddons.ag off the air, and they were a major maintainer of Kodi add-ons.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1109 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Faith24 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 5:19 pm
How would they "block Kodi"? It's a local media player that doesn't even need an internet connection to play local content. Even Kodi add-ons would have to be blocked individually - they're all different, communicating with different web urls. Maybe they're blocking a specific add-on that you're using? But Kodi add-ons stop working on their own quite frequently due to haphazard support, and apparently a bunch recently stopped working because a lawsuit knocked tvaddons.ag off the air, and they were a major maintainer of Kodi add-ons.
I was speaking specifically of Kodi add-ons. CIK Tel are blocking a bunch of online video hosting sites. Yes I am aware of tvaddons, but I wasn't referring to that in my OP.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1403 upvotes
Richmond
Video hosting sites would be different again from Kodi add-ons. That would affect other apps besides Kodi add-ons that access the same video hosting sites.
Oct 17, 2004
503 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
yoloto wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 5:13 pm
Same as Carrytel. So I just left and moved to Bell.
Had Bell for a bit, they do block IPTV providers but not sure about Kodi bit. I confirmed this not by using VPN, but rather by using phone as a hotspot and all worked flawlessly. When switched back to cable ISP issue was resolved.

Their tech support was useless and kept saying they block nothing but I had proof of that so left them and didn't look back.
I'm too poor to buy crap
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1586 posts
192 upvotes
They are not blocking "Kodi" they are blocking your illegal streaming services...
Jul 15, 2008
18 posts
2 upvotes
Vaughan
Which companies block Kodi? Carrytel and who else?
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9783 posts
1032 upvotes
They are blocking it most likely because it's using too much of their bandwidth.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Apr 28, 2017
219 posts
122 upvotes
You can't block Kodi. Kodi is simply a program that runs addons to dozens of streaming servers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1109 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sexyj wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 10:46 am
They are blocking it most likely because it's using too much of their bandwidth.
I have unlimited data. If they can't honour that then don't advertise that they offer it.
tdott wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 10:25 am
They are not blocking "Kodi" they are blocking your illegal streaming services...
Streaming isn't illegal in Canada. Downloading copyrighted material is.

Do people just read the title and reply? I specifically said in the OP that they are blocking KODI ADD-ONS.
May 14, 2013
323 posts
234 upvotes
Edmonton
Well, it was only a matter of time before the little guys caved. Just like how they "forwarded" copyright infringement notices, ISP's are getting pressured by big TV companies to crack down on just about anything that threatens their products/services. They aren't cracking down on Kodi or their addons. They are blocking the hosts that are known to store copyrighted files. The reason the addons can't find any "streams" is because the servers where the files are hosted are either taken down or relocated. The addons themselves work just fine, the streams don't.

In any case, everyone knows that 90% of the addons available on Kodi infringe on copyrights in one form or another. Any person who has done any due diligence in researching the privacy and security implications associated with third-party addons through Kodi will know better and actually run VPN when streaming. So really, the only people who are actually being affected by this "block" are the "sheep" who jumped on the "free TV" bandwagon and had 0 intention or care in the world to actually protect themselves via subscribing to VPN. Obviously, getting something for free with no strings attached is amazing, who doesn't want that right? But good things don't last forever, just like what is happening here. Be thankful you got a "free" ride... Unfortunately you're going to have to pay a small fee to a VPN to keep enjoying.
Jan 10, 2017
333 posts
118 upvotes
GTA
Use a VPN when streaming or else your isp will be hammered down by copyright organizations. We are protected from Canadian laws, but doesn't mean it makes your isp happy to let it continue
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9783 posts
1032 upvotes
That's how the game work. No such thing as unlimited data on their end to their pipes. It's all a number game to them.
AsianXL wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:27 am
I have unlimited data. If they can't honour that then don't advertise that they offer it.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1403 upvotes
Richmond
AsianXL wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:27 am
Do people just read the title and reply? I specifically said in the OP that they are blocking KODI ADD-ONS.
This topic is certainly of interest to anyone using or thinking of using any of the affected ISPs, but it would help to be sure what we're talking about. You could change the thread title if it's not accurate. But you did say that you meant video hosting sites rather than Kodi add-ons. Since you haven't given any examples, we're not sure what you mean.