• Jul 27th, 2017 3:47 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1780 posts
655 upvotes
AsianXL wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 4:45 pm
... received a confirmation this afternoon that they had begun blocking Kodi.
The title is misleading. The bold part is misleading. Those sites are blocked even if you use an Android app unrelated to Kodi. People like you give Kodi a bad stigma.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
[OP]
Dec 18, 2007
990 posts
212 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bogolisk wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 1:37 pm
The title is misleading. The bold part is misleading.
I am merely echoing what the rep said. The rep said they are blocking Kodi, so I am reiterating it here. Don't shoot the messenger!
Those sites are blocked even if you use an Android app unrelated to Kodi.
What android app?
People like you give Kodi a bad stigma.
Like most Kodi users?
Most people use Kodi for illegitimate reasons. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
Apr 28, 2017
203 posts
108 upvotes
It's clear you don't understand how Kodi works and honestly seems you're just trying to pick fights with people who use it.
Nov 5, 2011
20 posts
21 upvotes
Tillsonburg
AsianXL wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:27 am
I have unlimited data. If they can't honour that then don't advertise that they offer it.
Streaming isn't illegal in Canada. Downloading copyrighted material is.

Do people just read the title and reply? I specifically said in the OP that they are blocking KODI ADD-ONS.
Bandwidth is different than data limits. Think of bandwidth as pipe size ... Think of data limits as total volume over time ... For example, it would take a long time to fill a pool through a straw whereas it would be faster if you used a fire hose. The straw and fire hose is similar to bandwidth. How much water you get into the pool over a period of time is similar to data limits.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2068 posts
1046 upvotes
Richmond
AsianXL wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 2:10 pm
I am merely echoing what the rep said. The rep said they are blocking Kodi, so I am reiterating it here. Don't shoot the messenger!
Understood, but most customer reps have pretty superficial knowledge, so that statement doesn't mean much. What sort of sites they are actually blocking, what is their justification, and where they are getting their blocklist?

Let's try to be more specific here. We know they aren't blocking Kodi, so that statement was wrong. It also wouldn't make much sense to block a Kodi add-on. Let's pick a mythical one called Geniusis as an example - even if someone decided that they wanted to block Geniusis, the add-on itself would undoubtedly be available from many sources, and blocking any or all of them would do nothing to prevent people who already had it from using it. But let's say that an ISP decided they wanted to block some of the video streaming sites accessed via an add-on like Geniusis, let's say one called Videoze. That would affect other video streaming programs, not just Kodi with add-ons. Let's say you also had another app called Terranium that could also access Videoze - it too would be blocked by the ISP blocking Videoze. But of course that too has problems - not only are there many such video streaming sites, they change urls all the time, and most apps access them through content indexers rather than directly.

That's not to say that such blocking isn't happening. It's just that it would take pretty diligent maintenance of a broad blocklist to keep it effective.

Since video streaming from any source isn't technically illegal in Canada, and nobody has asked ISPs to stop it or threatened any legal action, why would these particular ISPs want to engage in such blocking? Commercial reasons would seem to be the answer - i.e., either conserving bandwidth or coercing clients into subscribing to their IPTV services.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1566 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
I thought selective throttling was illegal ?
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9662 posts
948 upvotes
they are not throttling, they are blocking it completely.
redzone wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 4:29 pm
I thought selective throttling was illegal ?
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1780 posts
655 upvotes
AsianXL wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 2:10 pm
Most people use Kodi for illegitimate reasons. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
I don't give a damn what people use Kodi for, it's none of my business. However, I despise spreading of false information. Posting a thread on a public forum with title "Canadian ISP is Blocking Kodi" when they actually blocked "illegal stream sites" is spreading false information.
Cable companies have been it doing for so long that my neighbour told me my OTA antenna is illegal! My 12-year old daughter told me that her friend's dad said Kodi is illegal! thanx to people who have been lumping Kodi with accessing illegal streaming-sites on public forums.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15814 posts
1713 upvotes
Montreal
Which providers are doing this. And what sites are they blocking? I just ran exodus this weekend with no issues.
Nov 18, 2015
534 posts
106 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 10:36 am
Which providers are doing this. And what sites are they blocking? I just ran exodus this weekend with no issues.
exodus isn't blocked. kodi isn't blocked. its the sources being pulled that are starting to get the axe.
May 14, 2013
323 posts
233 upvotes
Edmonton
1. OP clearly hasn't a clue how Kodi works in general;
2. OP reported on same false information that he claims he got directly from his ISP;
3. Creates an unnecessary commotion surrounding Kodi on RFD.

"This is fake news."
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1284 posts
26 upvotes
BambooMonster wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 2:57 pm
1. OP clearly hasn't a clue how Kodi works in general;
2. OP reported on same false information that he claims he got directly from his ISP;
3. Creates an unnecessary commotion surrounding Kodi on RFD.

"This is fake news."
Give him a break. This is where the entire thing is headed. The entertainment industry is not completely clueless. Kodi is another way of circumventing the Entertainment industry and avoiding insane high costs of tv programming. Yes, everyone knows the sources (addons and such) are what delivers us the programming - Kodi is just a media streamer/video player - which came from xbmc. Anyway, they are going to target the ISPs and compel them to block whatever they can....in *any* way they can...eventually.
Mar 1, 2012
394 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
ok i understand isps arent blocking kodi per se. They are blocking the add ons, which essentially is blocking kodi. Its like how isps are blocking vpns that allow you to watch netflix kind of. Anyways does carrytel cable block add ons? i just switched to this and it hasn't been scheduled yet. If the internet is rogers cable wouldn't it be blocked if i was with start or teksavvy? With start i can use kodi and my addons.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15814 posts
1713 upvotes
Montreal
karnige wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 2:36 pm
exodus isn't blocked. kodi isn't blocked. its the sources being pulled that are starting to get the axe.
I know. Which IPs are being blocked? Exodus pulls from a dozen different sites, none seem affected.
May 8, 2001
289 posts
21 upvotes
darkadvenger wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 3:59 pm
ok i understand isps arent blocking kodi per se. They are blocking the add ons, which essentially is blocking kodi. Its like how isps are blocking vpns that allow you to watch netflix kind of. Anyways does carrytel cable block add ons? i just switched to this and it hasn't been scheduled yet. If the internet is rogers cable wouldn't it be blocked if i was with start or teksavvy? With start i can use kodi and my addons.
No. They are not "blocking the add-ons" either. This one (or two) ISP is blocking one (or more) of the file hosting sites which has the file where the source is stored. I don't know which exact add-on the OP is using but all the add-ons I use have more than one source and eventually one does work so it has nothing to do with the add-on itself.