Computers & Electronics

Canadian ISP is Blocking Kodi

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2017 3:47 pm
Tags:
Jan 20, 2008
64 posts
5 upvotes
Really? CIK are blocking online video hosting?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
1772 posts
644 upvotes
darkadvenger wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 3:59 pm
ok i understand isps arent blocking kodi per se. They are blocking the add ons, which essentially is blocking kodi.
Ok, you should go and post a thread titled "Canadian ISP is blocking TV". Your TV has as much to do with those blocked sites as Kodi.
Last edited by bogolisk on Jul 14th, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Jan 2, 2004
10 posts
Wow. I was just about to sign up with them! Thanks for the heads up!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1704 posts
383 upvotes
Richmond Hill
So can anyone who uses exodus with Kodi confirm they are not able to access links? I am about to sign up with Carrytel.
:D
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3043 posts
454 upvotes
GTA
This has been the case with some of these discount ISPs that use peering they have no control over.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2045 posts
1042 upvotes
Richmond
Dave98 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 10:11 am
This has been the case with some of these discount ISPs that use peering they have no control over.
Now that sounds like a plausible explanation. Some U.S. ISPs have blocklists of their own, and discount ISPs in Canada may be using their routing.
moulamou wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 9:55 am
So can anyone who uses exodus with Kodi confirm they are not able to access links? I am about to sign up with Carrytel.
Which links? Wouldn't a streaming app/add-on typically present 30 or more links, some of which would work and some wouldn't at any given time? How would you know if anything was being deliberately blocked unless you repeated the test with a VPN like the OP mentioned? Even then you couldn't be sure without repeating the test multiple times to be sure it wasn't just a temporary failure of that source to respond.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1704 posts
383 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Faith24 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 10:19 am
Which links? Wouldn't a streaming app/add-on typically present 30 or more links, some of which would work and some wouldn't at any given time? How would you know if anything was being deliberately blocked unless you repeated the test with a VPN like the OP mentioned? Even then you couldn't be sure without repeating the test multiple times to be sure it wasn't just a temporary failure of that source to respond.
All good questions. If the ISP is blocking the links shouldn't they all be blocked?

Maybe someone who has Carrytel as their ISP and uses Kodi to stream the content in question can provide us with an update as to how many links are available. When streaming, the usual links appear, I would notice if they were no longer available across different programs.
:D
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1847 posts
350 upvotes
All this bickering, yet no one has uploaded a log file showing error so that a block can be proven/dis proven?
Mar 1, 2012
388 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 7:53 am
Ok, you should go and post a thread titled "Canadian ISP is block TV". Your TV has as much to do with those blocked sites as Kodi.
wth you make no sense what so ever. wtf is a block tv?????? All i am saying is if its true that isps are blocking add on servers then kodi is essentially being blocked. My god what is wrong with you.
May 14, 2013
323 posts
233 upvotes
Edmonton
bogolisk wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 7:53 am

Ok, you should go and post a thread titled "Canadian ISP is block TV". Your TV has as much to do with those blocked sites as Kodi.
darkadvenger wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:28 pm
wth you make no sense what so ever. wtf is a block tv?????? All i am saying is if its true that isps are blocking add on servers then kodi is essentially being blocked. My god what is wrong with you.
Nothing is wrong with him. He's just making an analogy using your logic. You said ISP's were blocking addons, which absolutely is NOT TRUE.

Just to clarify, as many posters before me have attempted and it is quite clear you and some others do not understand.

1. Add-ons are essentially a doorway to the media (video/audio).

2. Each media has multiple sources.

3. These sources are stored on a variety of webhosts.

4. According to the OP and after much needed clarification from the RFD community, certain ISP's are blocking SOME of these webhosts.

5. SOME of the sources for certain media will no longer work. Other sources will continue to work.

If you have understood everything mentioned thus far, you will realize that the ISP's haven't touched Kodi and/or it's addons. It has blocked the sources. And just to be crystal clear. Addons are not sources.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10133 posts
3554 upvotes
BambooMonster wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 5:07 pm
Nothing is wrong with him. He's just making an analogy using your logic. You said ISP's were blocking addons, which absolutely is NOT TRUE.

Just to clarify, as many posters before me have attempted and it is quite clear you and some others do not understand.

1. Add-ons are essentially a doorway to the media (video/audio).

2. Each media has multiple sources.

3. These sources are stored on a variety of webhosts.

4. According to the OP and after much needed clarification from the RFD community, certain ISP's are blocking SOME of these webhosts.

5. SOME of the sources for certain media will no longer work. Other sources will continue to work.

If you have understood everything mentioned thus far, you will realize that the ISP's haven't touched Kodi and/or it's addons. It has blocked the sources. And just to be crystal clear. Addons are not sources.
You're getting caught up in semantics. What the OP posted is essentially true, in a roundabout way. You guys keep trolling and downvoting the OP when all they did was attempt to share something useful with the community. As it turns out the ISPs are indeed blocking Kodi in a roundabout way. This culture of negativity on RFD needs to stop, and you are part of the problem.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
May 14, 2013
323 posts
233 upvotes
Edmonton
SickBeast wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 5:20 pm
You're getting caught up in semantics. What the OP posted is essentially true, in a roundabout way. You guys keep trolling and downvoting the OP when all they did was attempt to share something useful with the community. As it turns out the ISPs are indeed blocking Kodi in a roundabout way. This culture of negativity on RFD needs to stop, and you are part of the problem.
Is it really semantics? The OP reported inaccurate details and people are correcting him. That is negative?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10133 posts
3554 upvotes
BambooMonster wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 6:05 pm
Is it really semantics? The OP reported inaccurate details and people are correcting him. That is negative?
Incredibly so. How was he supposed to know the details? He was just reporting that it was not working. 8 downvotes. Pathetic.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1284 posts
25 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 10:36 am
Which providers are doing this. And what sites are they blocking? I just ran exodus this weekend with no issues.
You never try to run a search with it, do you? :)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15798 posts
1711 upvotes
Montreal
teleguitar wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 6:21 pm
You never try to run a search with it, do you? :)
Ahhh...There you go. It just tanks.