Canadian ISP is Blocking Kodi

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2017 10:20 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8103 upvotes
BambooMonster wrote: Nothing is wrong with him. He's just making an analogy using your logic. You said ISP's were blocking addons, which absolutely is NOT TRUE.

Just to clarify, as many posters before me have attempted and it is quite clear you and some others do not understand.

1. Add-ons are essentially a doorway to the media (video/audio).

2. Each media has multiple sources.

3. These sources are stored on a variety of webhosts.

4. According to the OP and after much needed clarification from the RFD community, certain ISP's are blocking SOME of these webhosts.

5. SOME of the sources for certain media will no longer work. Other sources will continue to work.

If you have understood everything mentioned thus far, you will realize that the ISP's haven't touched Kodi and/or it's addons. It has blocked the sources. And just to be crystal clear. Addons are not sources.
You're getting caught up in semantics. What the OP posted is essentially true, in a roundabout way. You guys keep trolling and downvoting the OP when all they did was attempt to share something useful with the community. As it turns out the ISPs are indeed blocking Kodi in a roundabout way. This culture of negativity on RFD needs to stop, and you are part of the problem.
May 14, 2013
441 posts
517 upvotes
Edmonton
SickBeast wrote: You're getting caught up in semantics. What the OP posted is essentially true, in a roundabout way. You guys keep trolling and downvoting the OP when all they did was attempt to share something useful with the community. As it turns out the ISPs are indeed blocking Kodi in a roundabout way. This culture of negativity on RFD needs to stop, and you are part of the problem.
Is it really semantics? The OP reported inaccurate details and people are correcting him. That is negative?
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8103 upvotes
BambooMonster wrote: Is it really semantics? The OP reported inaccurate details and people are correcting him. That is negative?
Incredibly so. How was he supposed to know the details? He was just reporting that it was not working. 8 downvotes. Pathetic.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2412 posts
181 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Which providers are doing this. And what sites are they blocking? I just ran exodus this weekend with no issues.
You never try to run a search with it, do you? :)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
teleguitar wrote: You never try to run a search with it, do you? :)
Ahhh...There you go. It just tanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
To the people that keep saying kodi is blocked by ISPs try going to the below site? If the site is blocked by these ISPs then kodi is also blocked, if you can visit the site and then go to the download page and then download Kodi. YOU WILL SEE KODI IS NOT BLOCKED

https://kodi.tv/article/having-issues-f ... tv-streams

Maybe even read the article above before posting fake news.

I block the kids from watching R rated movies on Netflix (Netflix is a application/program), that does not mean Netflix is blocked for the kids. If the site that host illegal content is blocked by these ISPs that does mean Kodi is blocked (Kodi is the application/program).

When comparing Kodi to my above Netflix example the ISP is the parent and the customer is the child.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
451 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
All my Kodi add-on working fine on carrytel

I'm watching Elysium right now on Kodi and was watching some asian shows and exodus earlier
Mar 1, 2012
769 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
And I am fine with clarifications but to bash the op just because technically ISPs cannot Kodi sure. But if they are blocking sources then people have the right to know. Telling me to start a post about tvs blocking Kodi is a great analogy!
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
451 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
darkadvenger wrote: And I am fine with clarifications but to bash the op just because technically ISPs cannot Kodi sure. But if they are blocking sources then people have the right to know. Telling me to start a post about tvs blocking Kodi is a great analogy!
ISPs aren't blocking sources either

Op is severely confused
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2045 posts
638 upvotes
BC
Kodi has no other purpose than be one gigantic software use for rampant piracy. "Cutting the cord" is a favorite term I hear thrown around. It means getting the new Shows free and you cannot get that legally. Shaw, your ISP, can block you if you use your internet for illegal purposes. You cannot go to Court will "unclean" hands and claim foul.

Canada is all bark and no bite. If the US Courts shut down, or heavily fine,the people who create the Repos Kodi has not many other uses.
“The difference between humans and animals? Animals would never allow the dumbest ones to lead the pack.”
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
2204 posts
3203 upvotes
insync44 wrote: Kodi has no other purpose than be one gigantic software use for rampant piracy. "Cutting the cord" is a favorite term I hear thrown around. It means getting the new Shows free and you cannot get that legally. Shaw, your ISP, can block you if you use your internet for illegal purposes. You cannot go to Court will "unclean" hands and claim foul.

Canada is all bark and no bite. If the US Courts shut down, or heavily fine,the people who create the Repos Kodi has not many other uses.
Educate yourself about the law before you speak. Streaming content on Kodi is not illegal
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
So then in your opinion is bittorrent use for piracy only as well?

:facepalm:
insync44 wrote: Kodi has no other purpose than be one gigantic software use for rampant piracy. "Cutting the cord" is a favorite term I hear thrown around. It means getting the new Shows free and you cannot get that legally. Shaw, your ISP, can block you if you use your internet for illegal purposes. You cannot go to Court will "unclean" hands and claim foul.

The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
insync44 wrote: Kodi has no other purpose than be one gigantic software use for rampant piracy.

I watch HDHomeRun streams on Kodi: OTA antenna -> HDHomeRun -> Kodi -> TV.

My neighbour told me my OTA antenna is illegal. Now I'm told Kodi cannot be used for legal contents!
We're really in the golden age of fake-news.

Next Rogers and Bell will tell me that my TV is illegal unless I had a contract with them.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
sexyj wrote: So then in your opinion is bittorrent use for piracy only as well?

No no no. I download lots of Linux ISOs.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: :facepalm:

I watch HDHomeRun streams on Kodi: OTA antenna -> HDHomeRun -> Kodi -> TV.

My neighbour told me my OTA antenna is illegal. Now I'm told Kodi cannot be used for legal contents!
We're really in the golden age of fake-news.

Next Rogers and Bell will tell me that my TV is illegal unless I had a contract with them.
I'm actually surprised Robellus haven't started selling locked TVs on three-year contracts...
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2045 posts
638 upvotes
BC
What I meant was the majority of the people who use Kodi are attracted by the amount of illegal content available for free. Why do you think the uproar? You Tube is full of different Builds. They all stream illegal content. Why do you think the popularity of the myriad of crappy android boxes? There are legal content available but, anything worth watching comes at a price, and, why pay if it can be had at no cost.
For ever one of you operating legally there are one hundred others not doing so,
“The difference between humans and animals? Animals would never allow the dumbest ones to lead the pack.”
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1251 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have CIK and Kodi has been fine for me. No bigger issues than what's been going on lately. If anything, I would say things have gotten better since I have been using the latest update.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
insync44 wrote: What I meant was the majority of the people who use Kodi are attracted by the amount of illegal content available for free. Why do you think the uproar? You Tube is full of different Builds. They all stream illegal content. Why do you think the popularity of the myriad of crappy android boxes? There are legal content available but, anything worth watching comes at a price, and, why pay if it can be had at no cost.
For ever one of you operating legally there are one hundred others not doing so,
People throw around technical jargon a lot, but we all know why all those "Kodi boxes" are such a hot commodity.
The vast majority of people use these boxes for exactly that, streaming copyrighted content for free.

But as the law stands, they are not doing anything illegal. Consuming these streams is legal, only distribution of copyrighted material is not. Now back to the original post, it's always a cat and mouse game between ISPs, law enforcement, and the piracy world.

The streaming links which work today, might not work tomorrow. Which is why it's an ongoing exercise to keep Kodi or any other streaming service in an usable shape. This is where most of the users get frustrated, as they think it's a one time exercise buying a box for 50 bucks, and then it will work as flawlessly as their 100$ Rogers plan used to. The truth is, it never will.
Aug 1, 2011
7 posts
5 upvotes
AJAX
I use kodi as a client device/front end for my DNLA media server, and OTA DVR system (via mediaportal and HD Homeruns)
I don't stream or download anything off the internet with it - I don't want to pay for all the bandwith.

So, I disagree with the statement "kodi has no other purpose except for piracy" - you can also use a web browser for viewing pirated content, or a DVD player to play bootleg DVDs/CDs, that doesn't mean that a web browser or DVD player has no other purpose other than for viewing pirated content.