Computers & Electronics

Canadian ISP is Blocking Kodi

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2017 10:20 pm
Tags:
Jan 12, 2017
626 posts
239 upvotes
insync44 wrote: Kodi has no other purpose than be one gigantic software use for rampant piracy.
What a bunch of BS, you must be watching Judge Judy reruns.

The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2045 posts
638 upvotes
BC
PatK621 wrote: What a bunch of BS, you must be watching Judge Judy reruns.

The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
What a bunch of BS. You obviously have your head in the sand. I'm not saying Kodi condones the Repos. In fact they maintain a "holier than thou attitude" and do not allow any talk of add ons, on their site. But I'm certain they could stop it in their design.

The "legit" consoles PS4 and Xbox One do not even allow Kodi. The popularity of Kodi blossomed with the allure of Pirate add ons like Exodus etc. Sure they are legitimate Apps but if you install them all and pay that defeats the purpose of "cutting the cord".

Lets face it the allure of "free" brand new series and Movies is a big temptation to any human being. Not all but most. Keep a $10 bill on any sidewalk and see how long it lasts.

I'm not criticizing Kodi. But when a person watches his 5TB HD with Movies and TV Shows where do you think he got those from? Nobody purchases 5TB worth of Movies.
“The difference between humans and animals? Animals would never allow the dumbest ones to lead the pack.”
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
insync44 wrote: What a bunch of BS. You obviously have your head in the sand. I'm not saying Kodi condones the Repos. In fact they maintain a "holier than thou attitude" and do not allow any talk of add ons, on their site. But I'm certain they could stop it in their design.

The "legit" consoles PS4 and Xbox One do not even allow Kodi. The popularity of Kodi blossomed with the allure of Pirate add ons like Exodus etc. Sure they are legitimate Apps but if you install them all and pay that defeats the purpose of "cutting the cord".

Lets face it the allure of "free" brand new series and Movies is a big temptation to any human being. Not all but most. Keep a $10 bill on any sidewalk and see how long it lasts.

I'm not criticizing Kodi. But when a person watches his 5TB HD with Movies and TV Shows where do you think he got those from? Nobody purchases 5TB worth of Movies.
Wrong Kodi is coming to the Xbone, if it was just for pirates why is it available on Google play and the windows store? Why do Microsoft and Google support the development or work with the Kodi dev's?

I can use chrome to watch any of those links so chrome must be as bad as kodi then?
Banned
Jan 14, 2017
8 posts
5 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: Wrong Kodi is coming to the Xbone, if it was just for pirates why is it available on Google play and the windows store? Why do Microsoft and Google support the development or work with the Kodi dev's?

I can use chrome to watch any of those links so chrome must be as bad as kodi then?
Wrong.

He's not saying it's just for pirates, he's saying that the vast majority of Kodi users use it for streaming content that they could not otherwise obtain without paying for it due to copyrights

If you think the reason why Kodi and the android boxes are currently exploding in popularity are due to anything other then allowing unauthorized access to copyrighted material than I have a bridge I could sell you.

I'm in that camp, I have 4 Android boxes. 1 for each television in the house and the sole reason I cut the cord 2 years ago was because I could watch whatever I wanted when I wanted without having to pay for it each month by by having these android boxes instead of paying $100+ each month for cable.

There's a reason why Rogers/Bell have started legal proceedings and currently have an injunction against the sales of the android boxes pre-loaded with 3rd party software which enables unauthorized access to copyrighted material. Europe had deemed Kodi illegal and yes we are not Europe but it won't be long in coming IMO.

It takes a while for laws to catch up with technology
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
Source that says Kodi is illegal in Europe? Most of the dev's are from Europe and this is news to me.

I can agree that kodi add-ons and cheap hardware has influenced cord cutters do to the ease of use, so it's only logical the big 3 will be kicking and screaming.

The fact of the matter is regardless of what a user uses an application for has nothing to do with the fact Kodi is/will be a legal application and will not be blocked, its addon are a different matter. Any vendor can still sell a kodi android box legally as long as it doesn't have pirated addons, that will not change.
Jan 12, 2017
626 posts
239 upvotes
The choice to 'Pirate' is a personal one, follow the rules and Kodi is a perfectly legal platform in all countries to take your home theatre forward, offering a library system for your legally collected movies, music, pictures and home videos. Kodi.TV offers ~1000 add-ons which meets the requirements in most countries, and offers entertainment that I never get tired of. You need to make a consious effort to allow outside sources, search down pirate links and install code overlays that compromise the software structure to the degree of inoperability in most cases. (you can be a thief and steal, it's your choice; shop lifting is free too) Cord cutting doesn't have to be illegal.

Purchasing HD content and utilizing hard drives is an expensive proposition, requiring large local storage systems, it's the price most home theatre enthusiasts are will to pay. Kodi spawned from the love of media. It is an entertainment hub that brings all your digital media together into a beautiful and user friendly package. It is 100% free and open source, very customisable and runs on a wide variety of devices. It is supported by a dedicated team of volunteers and a huge community who are not Pirates. https://kodi.tv/about

The populatrity of Android systems, comes at a time the industry is moving into streaming media over the internet and at this time is the main motivator for this technique and offer legal streams at a price. The wave of sellers who decided to make a quick buck modifying Kodi, installing broken piracy add-ons, advertising that Kodi let’s you watch free movies and TV, and then vanishing when the user buys the box and finds out that the add-on they were sold on was a crummy, constantly breaking mess is not doing the consumer a favour. These sellers are dragging users into the world of piracy without their knowledge and at the same time convincing new users that Kodi is a buggy mess.

Kodi wants to entertain you, not help you steal.
Last edited by PatK621 on Jul 25th, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
colossk1 wrote: Wrong.
Europe had deemed Kodi illegal ...
Where do you see this? or you're just making this up! Some European countries declared some Kodi boxes illegal, and rightly so. But not Kodi the program.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
2204 posts
3203 upvotes
I have to laugh at anyone who claims the majority of Kodi users uses it legally
Jan 12, 2017
626 posts
239 upvotes
User381785 wrote: I have to laugh at anyone who claims the majority of Kodi users uses it legally
I have to laugh at anyone who publicly declares themselves a 'Pirate'.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
2204 posts
3203 upvotes
PatK621 wrote: I have to laugh at anyone who publicly declares themselves a 'Pirate'.
Not a single person has said that here. It's just laughable someone is naive enough to think most Kodi users use it for legal purposes. They don't. But then again, streaming through Kodi isn't illegal under Canadian law.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
User381785 wrote: Not a single person has said that here. It's just laughable someone is naive enough to think most Kodi users use it for legal purposes. They don't. But then again, streaming through Kodi isn't illegal under Canadian law.
Plenty do use it for legal purposes and plenty don't, that in itself is a personal choice. The discussion in this thread is in regards to Kodi being blocked by ISPs because it is illegal. Which is not true and has been proven over and over the application is legal and will stay legal, thus will not/is not blocked.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
User381785 wrote: Not a single person has said that here. It's just laughable someone is naive enough to think most Kodi users use it for legal purposes. They don't. But then again, streaming through Kodi isn't illegal under Canadian law.
To be fair, colossk1 just sort of admitted that the only reason he got 4 Kodi boxes was so that he didn't have to pay $100+/month on a cable bill.

I think the whole Kodi terminology just got carried away and has become synonymous with watching stuff online for free whether legal or not. The average Joe Six Pack wouldn't know that Kodi requires add-ons or plugins in order to get those sought after streams. They just want a simple box that can access all that content. Sort of reminds me of the DirecTV days and getting free movies/shows so long as your card still functioned. Same goes for those who can get a Rogers box with "free access" to all the channels. Personally from everyone I know that has installed Kodi in their living rooms, it's 100% for being able to watch TV shows or movies that typically require some kind of payment. For example, watching movies that are still out in the theatres or have come out on Bluray and TV shows like The Walking Dead, GoT or any other show that is only available on cable. None of these families have used it to stream their ripped content from a NAS somewhere in the house or even legit streaming channels. In Canada it's not illegal to stream them but I would hazard to say that it's likely not morally right to do so. What I frown upon is what this shows to the kids that live in the house. That it's ok to not have to pay for something if you can find a way not to? How do you explain going to Cineplex and paying to watch Wonder Woman vs sitting at home and not paying for the same movie albeit via a cam-rip with people walking in front of it? Would it be ok to pass by a farmer's pumpkin patch and walk away with a pumpkin if there's no specific sign not to and he's not aware of you doing it?

The whole cutting the cord doesn't imply that one is going to steal content either. Originally it was meant to reduce your monthly expenses while still being able to watch what you wanted. This could be by installing an antenna and getting OTA HD channels, iTunes subscription for movies/shows and Netflix like services. The cable/satellite companies just got too greedy with how much they charge and is the reason why people were leaving them for other alternatives. Sadly I think this term got hijacked as well to mean, "I don't want to pay for anything but still want to watch everything I did before."

To the OP about ISPs blocking Kodi, as others have mentioned this just means that they are trying to block the sources of the stream. Not the add-ons or the Kodi application itself. This is trivial to do if you understand routing/networking and can decode a Wireshark capture. And yes, blocking the stream sometimes involves blocking the IP of the source which means that you block not only the Kodi add-on trying to get that stream but also any other method of trying to get to that IP even if it's with a web browser. There are other ways to try and narrow it down to match on other criteria like whether it's video or audio or if your security appliance is able to determine the application that is requesting access to that IP address.

Personally I've tried Kodi and the add-ons for being able to stream that content. It wasn't for me. Half the time I spent trying to find a working stream and for the times it does work I found that I didn't like the quality. I'm a bit of a home theatre snob so I like my 1080p (no 4K tv yet) and full surround sound while watching stuff. I've tried using it to play my local content from my NAS but I found that Plex works better for me for all of that. Add my Netflix plus OTA antenna and we've got enough stuff to watch to keep us busy. I'm not going to say I don't download other shows/movies via torrents or newsgroups but it's less than what I used to do in the past. I don't mind paying for services if it's simple and convenient aka Netflix. I would pay in a heart beat if I could get HBO Go or whatever it's called so that I could stream GoT the same night it airs but sadly I can't do it legally in Canada and I'm not about to upgrade my cable package just for that. Speaking of which, our cable DVR hasn't been turned on in months so I think it's time that we finally say goodbye to it after 15 years of having used it.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
really, saying Kodi is mostly used for watching illegitimate contents is the same as saying the computer is mostly used for watching pr0n. I don't give a **** about what you use Kodi for. I'm just getting pissed when my daughter asked me: "Daddy, isn't your Kodi thing illegal?". I'd be really pissed if she asked me: "Daddy, did you just buy a brand new 'puter to watch... naked ppl?"

All that because a bunch of clueless open their trap. So if you have no clue, shut the **** up!
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 27th, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: inappropriate language
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Sep 2, 2017
1 posts
I just wanted to bump this thread and add that my isp in Manitoba has started blocking source sites. Pretty much using the same box at my place and at my friends places with the same ISP, Gvid links are found but are not loadable(bypassed when trying to load). When at friends places with a different ISP, box works perfect.
Jul 20, 2012
2 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
What kind of VPN boxes or software are kodi users using in this thread. Anyone using IPVanish?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)