• Apr 19th, 2014 10:30 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes

Canadian monthly dividend stocks

Trying to compile a list of quality names that pay a monthy dividend vs. a quarterly. Not looking to go into deep analysis in this thread, just compile some names, & I find it hard to search on this.

Having a mix of monthly and quarterly dividends is good for your portfolio since it gives you that constant cashflow needed to pay your monthly bills.

Monthly dividend payers tend to be either energy or restaurant (EDIT: or mining). Anyone have any good ones outside these sectors?

Baytex (BTE)
Enerplus (ERF)
Boston Pizza (BPF.UN)
The Keg (KEG.UN)
A&W (AW.UN)
Pengrowth Energy (PGF)

The one I have found outside energy and gas is Shaw (SJR) I left out Atlantic Power (ATP) because everything I am seeing tells me to avoid them at all costs.

EDIT: More..

Canadian Helicopters Group (CHL.A)
Goldcorp (GG)
Liquor Stores (LIQ)
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
57 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
Energy services:
Poseidon Concepts (PSN)
Savanna Energy (SVY)

Energy names with more modest payout coverage (aided by high DRIP percentages or simply more managable cashflow/capex/dividend mix):
Twin Butte Energy
Petrobakken

I think most REITs pay monthly as well; the non-real estate REITs like Chartwell, Exetendicare & Medical Facilities have higher yields. Actually, EXE isnt a REIT anymore but still pays monthly
💡😃😂😄
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
Any other media / techs that pay monthly than Shaw?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
brunes wrote:
Having a mix of monthly and quarterly dividends is good for your portfolio since it gives you that constant cashflow needed to pay your monthly bills.
If you're really running that close to the edge that your investment decisions are driven by whether or not a firm pays 'monthly' -- doesn't that speak to some sort of larger issue?

I mean, it would be a travesty if your portfolio ended up being filled with cr*p (ala most income trusts) simply because you were picking stocks based on payout frequency, rather than the viability of the business itself.
Jul 8, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
Just as a question, why did avoid ATP?

I havent bought any, but I've been eying this stock for a while now..
Jul 17, 2011
285 posts
130 upvotes
TORONTO
I believe all or most of the real estate trusts also pay monthly.

Sorry, charliebrown, I see you already said this...
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
b
Mark77 wrote: If you're really running that close to the edge that your investment decisions are driven by whether or not a firm pays 'monthly' -- doesn't that speak to some sort of larger issue?

The point of building a dividend portfolio is to generate cashflow... and with a lot of people, the end goal being to quit your day job and live off this cashflow.

If you are doing that, you are going to want to build up some monthly cashflow from monthly paying dividends.
I mean, it would be a travesty if your portfolio ended up being filled with cr*p (ala most income trusts) simply because you were picking stocks based on payout frequency, rather than the viability of the business itself.
When did anyone say to buy crap? We're just compiling a list because it is harder to search on this factor of a stock.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
strawberrykiwi1 wrote: Just as a question, why did avoid ATP?

I havent bought any, but I've been eying this stock for a while now..
Every analyst I read has a warning about them. Basically their dividend payout is way too high and unsustainable.
Jul 17, 2011
285 posts
130 upvotes
TORONTO
Alternatively, you can take a look at this website and ensure your quarterly pay out stocks are spread across every month. This site includes stocks from around the world:

I LOVE DIVIDENDS
Sep 8, 2005
389 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
AltaGas (ALA) is one that i own...
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
brunes wrote: The point of building a dividend portfolio is to generate cashflow... and with a lot of people, the end goal being to quit your day job and live off this cashflow.

If you are doing that, you are going to want to build up some monthly cashflow from monthly paying dividends.
Sure, but does it really matter if the money comes monthly or quarterly? I'd rather have a long-term sustainable return of 10% in a quarterly dividend, than a long-term monthly dividend of 8%. Remember that issuing dividends "monthly" actually costs an issuer money in terms of banking fees.

A line of credit and/or simply keeping some cash savings can smooth out cash availability.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
BigRFDfan wrote: Alternatively, you can take a look at this website and ensure your quarterly pay out stocks are spread across every month. This site includes stocks from around the world:

I LOVE DIVIDENDS
OOHHHH This site rules! Thanks!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Cineplex (CGX)

Liquor Stores (LIQ)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
1567 posts
1264 upvotes
Pembina Pipelines (PPL.TO)
Inter Pipeline Fund (IPL-un.TO)
Vermilion Energy (VET.TO)
Crescent Point (CPG.TO)
Corus Entertainment (CJR-b.TO)

some smaller-caps:

Badger (BAD.TO)
Bird Construction (BDT.TO)
Black Diamond (BDI.TO)
Killam Properties (KMP.TO)
Morneau Shepell (MSI.TO)
Wajax (WJX.TO)
K Bro Linen (KBL.TO)
CML Healthcare (CLC.TO)
Pizza Pizza (PZA.TO)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
have you mentioned SJR.B?

As for ENB and SU, I am in favour of SU as I do follow this company.
I don't follow ENB closely because it has gone up too much in price due to economic safety concerns.

SU has bunch of undeveloped assets. The management is disciplined not to develop properties that are not economical.
What I am trying to say is that as oil price rises (and/or price that can get rises), they will have assets to develop, no need to buy from someone else.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)