Personal Finance

Canadian Mortgage, GIC, and RRSP Rate Tables Updated Daily

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2015 2:03 pm
Dec 23, 2008
14 posts
1 upvote
Abbotsford B.C.
Thank You Thank You. I did not do my homework and my husband asked last night what looked the best for this year. Thankyou I love this website
Charley
Nov 4, 2007
12 posts
1 upvote
Ally offers 2% GIC for 1 year and for variable savings account. Is there a reason why Ally is not included in the list? I'm about to transfer money to Ally. Is my money safe there?
Jun 6, 2008
62 posts
Brentwood Bay
Derek wrote:
Feb 1st, 2008 12:44 pm
We've just added a bunch of rate comparison tables to our Financial Services section.

We currently have:
  • Canadian Mortgage Rates - Variable, Open, Convertible
  • Canadian Mortgage Rates - Closed
  • Canadian Mortgage Rates - Long Term
  • Mortgage and Real Estate Terms Glossary
  • Canadian RRSP Rates
  • Canadian GIC Rates - Annual
  • Canadian GIC Rates - Semi-Annual
  • Canadian GIC Rates - Quarterly
  • Canadian GIC Rates - Monthly
They're all updated daily courtesy of FiscalAgents.com so you can be sure to get the most accurate rates. All of the major financial institutions are included alongside some of the smaller players as well.

Check it out and let us know if it's useful!

http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main. ... ial/rates/

Good comparison. But I see at least one new major player is missing ..Ally : 5 year GIC is 4%.

http://www.ally.ca/en/guaranteed-invest ... rview.html
Jun 1, 2002
471 posts
31 upvotes
For the mortgage rate table, is what's listed what the "typical" person would get, or the best rate, or what exactly? I'm certainly able to negotiate a better mortgage interest rate with my bank than what's listed on the table, so I'm not really sure what to make of it...
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
3418 posts
20052 upvotes
North York
levush wrote:
Jun 5th, 2010 9:20 pm
Ally offers 2% GIC for 1 year and for variable savings account. Is there a reason why Ally is not included in the list? I'm about to transfer money to Ally. Is my money safe there?
Hi there-I have an account with Ally and very happy with them-they belong to Resmor, a very well known investment company.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1243 posts
113 upvotes
Phantom wrote:
Jun 8th, 2010 10:05 pm
For the mortgage rate table, is what's listed what the "typical" person would get, or the best rate, or what exactly? I'm certainly able to negotiate a better mortgage interest rate with my bank than what's listed on the table, so I'm not really sure what to make of it...
From what I can tell, these tables list the posted rates. These are the same numbers you'll find on their respective websites. You will more than likely be able to negotiate a better rate than those shown in these tables.
Mar 9, 2011
1 posts
Toronto
my broker offered me 3.42% fix rate....or 2.25% open variable......does anybody knows about better rates?
Sep 14, 2010
287 posts
280 upvotes
mar123 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2011 4:10 pm
my broker offered me 3.42% fix rate....or 2.25% open variable......does anybody knows about better rates?

I'm assuming that you're talking about 5-year mortgages...

I've seen 2.15% for 5-year variable. The 3.42% fixed you got...I haven't seen better than that for 5-year. I just redid my this morning at 3.79% 5-year fixed.
Aug 20, 2006
660 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
Is it better in long run to go with variable closed with those rates now? not sure about open since they seem higher
Dec 26, 2010
77 posts
3 upvotes
This weekend I was approved for my first mortgage through BMO. They are offering 4.14% (special) on a 5 year closed term but I got 4.04% so this table isn't up to date.
Jan 20, 2011
12 posts
Personally, id never go directly to a bank to get a mortgage.
Mortage brokers are the way to go. They offer access to all major banks except Royal bank.
They shop for the lowest prices for you, and you dont even pay them for their services as they receive commissions from the lender anyways.

Plus theyll help you lower your rate on a mortgage renewal as well.

Most people just automatically renew with their current provider but are typicaly paying .75% more because they dont look around again.

Just my two cents.
Dec 26, 2010
77 posts
3 upvotes
[QUOTE]Personally, id never go directly to a bank to get a mortgage.[/QUOTE] The house I bought was my neighbours and they had a great price. I wanted to get it ASAP and didn't have time to shop around for a broker. I'm happy with that rate anyway because from what I could find online that was the best you can get anyway.

[QUOTE]They shop for the lowest prices for you, and you dont even pay them for their services as they receive commissions from the lender anyways.[/QUOTE] I was told their fees get tacked onto your mortgage.
May 5, 2007
26 posts
Kreuger wrote:
May 9th, 2011 12:57 am
I was told their fees get tacked onto your mortgage.

That is incorrect. In most cases, a mortgage broker gets paid on a commission basis based on your mortgage amount...so they should not be charging you. The only time a mortgage broker may charge you fees is if it is a subprime mortgage and they are not being compensated by the lender. In all other cases, a good mortgage broker should not charge you for a straight forward deal.