Canadian Passport $87/5yr till June 30th then $120/5yr $160/10yr

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2013 11:15 am
Mar 7, 2011
252 posts
202 upvotes

Canadian Passport $87/5yr till June 30th then $120/5yr $160/10yr

Just noticed the price increases today.
For some people, it's going to be worth renewing your passport prior to the deadline and going with the 5 year non-"e" passport.
73 replies
Oct 22, 2006
688 posts
305 upvotes
It will be cheaper to renew it for 10 years. Half the hassle and cheaper. It all depends when its expiring.
ScroogeMcDuck wrote: Just noticed the price increases today.
For some people, it's going to be worth renewing your passport prior to the deadline and going with the 5 year non-"e" passport.
Feb 12, 2012
30 posts
18 upvotes
London
The 10 year looks like a better deal doesn't it?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
8092 posts
349 upvotes
Also don't forget if you renew passports you're going to need to have your long form birth cert. that's what the agent said when I went to renew my kids. There is/ was a grace period so in was ok. Probably not so lucky going forward.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
616 upvotes
in a plane
I'm so annoyed because I actually *wanted* the 10-year passport, but mine expired in December and I had no choice but to renew. I'm considering re-renewing it again after the 10 year one goes live... I dunno. I want to keep my visas. I even tried to ask if I could pay more and get the first versions of the e-passport, but was told no.

On the flipside... at least I can sit on my passport or put it in a pocket. Or bend it. Or put it in a bag. Or get it wet. Or... you know, do STUFF that happens when you travel with it :)
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
sienna owner wrote: Also don't forget if you renew passports you're going to need to have your long form birth cert. that's what the agent said when I went to renew my kids. There is/ was a grace period so in was ok. Probably not so lucky going forward.
Long form is only required for children, and not even in all cases.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?l ... id=q046412
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2012
1187 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
robot123 wrote: Tried to PM at BB with no success
Why do people always beat me to these deals? Hoarders and resellers. :(
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
2386 posts
1108 upvotes
Ontario
Will this help me cross-border shop at bestbuy.com?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A GOOD MOTTO TO LIVE BY: "Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur" (It is a wise man who speaks little)
RFD MOTTO TO LIVE BY: Buy now, think later
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
LegobrandonCP wrote: Why do people always beat me to these deals? Hoarders and resellers. :(
This is perhaps the only Hot Deal where you can't get around the "one per customer" restriction...
Nov 12, 2003
492 posts
11 upvotes
Pseudo Nim wrote: I'm so annoyed because I actually *wanted* the 10-year passport, but mine expired in December and I had no choice but to renew. I'm considering re-renewing it again after the 10 year one goes live... I dunno. I want to keep my visas. I even tried to ask if I could pay more and get the first versions of the e-passport, but was told no.
try PM with USA ... only $110. may need an Amerifriend
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3409 posts
896 upvotes
West Istand, Montrea…
Shouldn't be here, but . . . I don't know why the government keeps doing this '5 year' and now '10 year' validity thing. Most countries require 6 months validity on a passport when they let you in - I had suggested that they make passports valid for 5 and a half years - their retort was that they would be coming out with a 10 year passport. I tried to explain that we still don't get our full value.

Recognising that we need 6 months validity to actually go anywhere, these are in actuality 4.5 and 9.5 year documents - how hard would it have been to make them 5.5 and 10.5 years so we could actually use them for the full term we pay for?

I'd not have made a stink about it except for the fact that I was denied a 5 year visa by the Brazilian consulate because I needed to have 5 years plus at least 6 months - and a one year visa was the same price as the five - so I would up paying for the same visa five times.
Sep 8, 2006
830 posts
336 upvotes
Surrey
it doesn't say anywhere how many pages the 10 year passport will have. Also, why even have a 5 year passport for adults? doesn't make sense...

if the 10 year passport only has 24 pages, i don't think its worth it.
Mar 31, 2006
124 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
emmpeethree wrote: it doesn't say anywhere how many pages the 10 year passport will have. Also, why even have a 5 year passport for adults? doesn't make sense...

if the 10 year passport only has 24 pages, i don't think its worth it.
From Discontinued products or services
The 48-page passport option will also be discontinued. While the previous 5-year non-electronic passport had 24 pages, the new 5- and 10-year ePassport books both have 36 pages.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3870 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
So if im travelling to mexico for 1 week vacation in march and my passport is expiring in june....i will get denied at the airport? Is this true and a very strict rule?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)