• Apr 25th, 2015 11:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
It's clear that the copyright infringement notices are carefully crafted to entice the people receiving them to respond by clicking on a link to get more information. That seems to be everyone's first reaction: "I clicked on the link to find out how much they were demanding, before I thought that maybe I shouldn't do that." Once the target victims have responded by entering into contact, the copyright troll can hound them like a collection agency to get a settlement payment.
Jul 19, 2004
157 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
JamesA1 wrote: torrentfreak is reporting that the MPAA has an alternative scheme to target these sites: they will try to convince the U.S. courts to let them seize the domain names of sites they identify as engaging in piracy. This sort of thing has been allowed recently (see the Microsoft vs. No-IP case), showing just how low the standard of proof is for U.S. courts to allow such drastic actions. There was no prior notice and they did not have to make anything public.

Normally the site is shut down right away and replaced by page displaying a notice of action. But consider that many of these streaming sites are accessed by users through higher-level interfaces that wouldn't display such a notice even if they chose to put one up right away. Think how easy it would be to quietly keep the site running for a few weeks and log IP addresses. They wouldn't have to stream any actual content, because people would likely keep trying until they heard something on the news. Any sites you use regularly stopped responding lately? Did you keep trying them?

This is one of the key reasons why the internet governance community is so anxious to wrest control of the domain name system away from the jurisdiction of the U.S. government.
So if Popcorn Time uses bit torrent technology, wouldn't users be at a lot of risk in case law enforcement started collecting IP address information?

Many youngsters today use Popcorn Time on their laptops.

Piracy-powered video streaming platform Popcorn Time is a major threat to Netflix
http://business.financialpost.com/2015/ ... =5694-b835
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
i got this copyright notice e-mail from my ISP (Electronic Box) for watching a show on Popcorn Time...

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Dear Sir/Madam and/or Sir/Madam Subscriber,

We are writing this message on behalf of HOME BOX OFFICE, INC. ("HBO"), with physical offices located at 1100 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036, United States (Attention: Director of Anti-Piracy).

We have received information leading us to believe that an individual has utilized the IP address xxx-rfd--xxx at the noted date and time below to host and/or facilitate the downloading and/or streaming of content (listed below) in which HBO is the copyright owner of such content (the "HBO Properties"). No one is authorized to exhibit, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise distribute HBO Properties without the express written permission of HBO, and the unauthorized distribution of HBO Properties constitutes copyright infringement. This conduct may also violate other laws, international law, and/or treaty obligations.
The title in question is: Game of Thrones

As the owner of and/or subscriber using the IP address, HBO requests that you immediately take steps to prevent further downloading or uploading of HBO content without authorization.

We have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law, and we are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

This letter is not a complete statement of HBO's rights in connection with this matter, and nothing contained herein constitutes an express or implied wavier of any rights or remedies of HBO in connection with this matter, all of which are expressly reserved.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Your prompt response is requested.

Any further enquiries can be directed to copyright@ip-echelon.com. Please include this message with your enquiry to ensure a quick response.

Respectfully,

Adrian Leatherland
CEO
IP-Echelon
Email: copyright@ip-echelon.com
Address: 6715 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, 90028, United States

- ------------- Infringement Details ----------------------------------
Title: Game of Thrones
Timestamp: 2015-04-1x
IP Address: xxx-rfd--xxx
Port: xxx-rfd--xxx
Type: BitTorrent
Torrent Hash: xxx-rfd--xxx
Filename: Game.of.Thrones.S01E01.HDTV.VOSTFR.Gillop.avi
Filesize: 466 MB
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

i don't usually download stuff, but i did this one time to try it out. :(
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
rcorkum wrote: shakes his head, you pay your cell phone bill right?
And... he has a GPS likely partially or fully enabled on his cellphone HAHAHHAHA
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: It's clear that the copyright infringement notices are carefully crafted to entice the people receiving them to respond by clicking on a link to get more information. That seems to be everyone's first reaction: "I clicked on the link to find out how much they were demanding, before I thought that maybe I shouldn't do that." Once the target victims have responded by entering into contact, the copyright troll can hound them like a collection agency to get a settlement payment.
The simple response to these tactics is to publicly post the links and request everyone click on them. When the copyright trolls start getting thousands of unique IP hits for each email they send out, and none of them the alleged offender, they'll have no choice but to abandon the practice.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
Does anyone know for sure that Popcorn Time uses bit torrent technology? That surprises me. If it doesn't, does that put Kodi users in the same boat?
Phils
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
ManCaveGamer wrote:
i don't usually download stuff, but i did this one time to try it out. :(
HBO has been cracking down. I already got two notices from them in April.
Jan 19, 2013
767 posts
80 upvotes
Surrey
How can I "protect" myself from getting any letters?
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5459 upvotes
Toronto
Phils wrote: Does anyone know for sure that Popcorn Time uses bit torrent technology? That surprises me. If it doesn't, does that put Kodi users in the same boat?
i got that notice from HBO above for using Popcorn Time, so it's definitely using bittorrent.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
Yes, Popcorn Time does use bittorrent.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2429 posts
403 upvotes
Phils wrote: Does anyone know for sure that Popcorn Time uses bit torrent technology? That surprises me. If it doesn't, does that put Kodi users in the same boat?
It's on the front page...
Popcorn Time streams movies and TV shows from torrents

Downloading copyrighted material may be illegal in your country. Use at your own risk.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Why not use Popcorn Time with a VPN connection?

One of the Popcorn Time forks has free built-in VPN.
Sep 19, 2004
85 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto Canada
This version of Popcorn Time has a Free VPN

http://popcorn-time.se/
provided free by
https://en.kebrum.com/

Looks like you have to select the lock in the top right corner and toggle it to locked.
tk1000 wrote: Why not use Popcorn Time with a VPN connection? One of the Popcorn Time forks has free built-in VPN.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2294 posts
720 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Got my first through a weird pop up in my browser from my ISP (eastlink) saying they received a notice from a copyright holder. Must be from game of thrones leaks.

Made me laugh,these trolls statistically never take anyone to court and even if successful will get nothing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)