• Jun 17th, 2005 12:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 11, 2003
152 posts
11 upvotes

Canadian Senate recommends increasing duty free allowances, new border crossing

There are some interesting tidbits in today's report on security and national defence.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national ... 50615.html
Within five years, Canadians shopping in the U.S. for as little as an hour should be allowed to bring back $2,000 US worth of goods without paying tariffs.

'Excessive shoppers' would be off hook

Kenny said the proposal to hike tariff exemption figures is a matter of national security, though it would cost federal coffers almost $100 million a year.

"If someone is nervous about smuggling a sweater across the border, they're showing the same signs as someone trying to smuggle a bomb," he said.

Border inspectors should be spending more time checking for signs of criminal or terrorist activity, the report said.

"These are the people who demand Canada's attention, not excessive shoppers," the report said.
This will make for some interesting day trips with a proposed limit of $2000 for just an hour in the U.S.

As well, there is a proposed new border crossing between Detroit and Windsor. Any chance that any of this will actually happen under the current government is anybody's guess though.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
I won't believe it till it actually happens.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
It's about time. Not because I exceed my spending limit on a regular basis, but the majority of my customs experiences coming back to Canada have always been explaining everything I'm bringing back, and whether or not I have any tobacco or alcohol. Meanwhile the questioning has been quite thorough going to the US, ranging from a variety of topics.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14394 posts
133 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm sure it won't apply to smokes and booze.
Just cheap clothes from the Walden Galleria.

Wonder if they'll do the same thing for air travellers?
1.5Litres of wine, 1 litre of booze or $750 in t-shirts after 7 days - thats total garbage -
they've already raped me on the airline ticket surcharges (taxes) !!
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1991 posts
171 upvotes
I wish they'd implement that now! By the time they do that (if they do it) all my favourite US stores will probably be in Canada and I won't need to cross border shop anymore.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
girlstar wrote:I wish they'd implement that now! By the time they do that (if they do it) all my favourite US stores will probably be in Canada and I won't need to cross border shop anymore.
You know what it said about something that is too good to be true?

If is miraculously does pass, I don't think it will be for a long while after lots of debate and even still, it won't be $2000, maybe $500 i can see happening. but be prepared for lots of opposition from bordering shopping towns on our side of the border.