Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire 1/2 Price BBQ Sale bait and switch?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2010 3:48 pm
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
15 upvotes

Canadian Tire 1/2 Price BBQ Sale bait and switch?

Just had a natural gas BBQ outlet installed, and hoping for end-of-season deal on NG BBQ, otherwise wait for spring sales, when along comes Canadian Tire weekly flyer announcing selected BBQ clearance half price.
So, I check their website for NG BBQ's, and there is a Napolean BBQ, reg $800's, on sale for $400's - does this sound too good to be true, or what! So I check store stock online, and, YES, local Oshawa Gibb Street store has stock!
So, this morning, I check online again, and it now says "call re availability". Hmmmm. Trying to check other local stores, get message that system has problems.
So, at 8 a.m. I watch staff unlock the doors, and I head for the BBQ dep't. A friendly, helpful clerk is there, and informs me they have no stock on the "sale" model (Napoleon TR 485RB, CTC Product # 85-3019-8). They DO have an identical model, except it has a side burner, and I ask if I can have that for half price, but am told that is impossible.
I then ask her to check on her computer for stock at other local stores, and she says there is none.
There are a couple of other NG BBQ's on sale, but nowhere near the quality of the Napolean unit.
So, I browse some more - there's a CTC brand unit @$199, which is a pretty good deal for an NG unit with tube burners, but the grills are just light stamped steel. Then, there's a CENTRO unit for $267, lots of flashy stainless and shiny knobs, cast iron grills, AND a rotisserie! I decide on it. The clerk leaves to fetch one in a box. While waiting, I notice the CENTRO is MADE IN CHINA. I begin to recall those warnings about cheap China BBQ's where the "Stainless Steel" turns rusty real quick.
The box arrives. It looks like it fell off the truck ripped, dinged, dusty....I begin to smell a "bait and switch" scam, and say "no thanks".
I'm angry. When I get home. I call Canadian Tire's customer service at head office. They offer me the lame excuse that flyers are ordered from the printer weeks in advance, and this was a clearance of existing stock, so it must have all been sold out by the time the flyer was delivered. Yeah, right, they had a sudden run on $800 BBQ's.
AND, why is it still on the WEBSITE, then?.....that doesn't entail weeks of printer delay!
So, they check for me, I said I'd drive anywhere to get one, and they couldn't find any stock in the Province! Amazing how the local store stock vanished overnight!
How do you have a "clearance sale" on existing stock when the stock is ZERO?
So, I filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs. We'll see what happens. Like the old adage goes - If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. A Napolean BBQ for four hundred bucks? I smell a SCAM!
:evil:
29 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
55 upvotes
Burlington
I don't think you quite understand what bait and switch means.

In any event I was bored and found that, according the website, the store in Waterloo at 400 WEBER STREET NORTH has them in stock, as does the store at 240 GARRISON ROAD in Fort Erie. So try calling these stores and see where you get.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3552 posts
83 upvotes
The term "Bait and Switch" is one of the most over-used and miss-used terms on RFD, just like the words "scam" and "troll".

You we'ren't baited or scammed, they just ran out of stock :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7653 posts
800 upvotes
I love the new facepalm emoticon... seriously.

:facepalm:
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
15 upvotes
Anathem wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 3:47 pm
I don't think you quite understand what bait and switch means.

In any event I was bored and found that, according the website, the store in Waterloo at 400 WEBER STREET NORTH has them in stock, as does the store at 240 GARRISON ROAD in Fort Erie. So try calling these stores and see where you get.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2 ... RB+Natural

+Gas+BBQ.jsp

656 ERB STREET WEST WATERLOO, ON N2T2Z7

Phone: 519-884-1255

Fax: 519-884-5524

Service Phone: 519-884-1255
Not In Stock Store inventory last updated: Sep. 9, 2010

400 WEBER STREET NORTH WATERLOO, ON N2J 3J3

Phone: 519-885-1050

Fax: 519-885-7172

Service Phone: 519-885-1056
Not In Stock

Make this my store Store inventory last updated: Sep. 9, 2010

FORT ERIE, ON 240 GARRISON ROAD FORT ERIE, ON L2A 1M7 (Change)
Phone: 905-871-1564

Call Store for Availability
Store inventory last updated: Sep. 9, 2010

Are your pants on fire? :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7653 posts
800 upvotes
jan_db wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 4:21 pm
Are your pants on fire? :lol:
Probably not.

Edit: Nevermind, I looked up the wrong one too since OP posted a busted link.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
55 upvotes
Burlington
OK I goofed, its the propane model, not the natural gas model.

HOWEVER the Cobourg store apparently has stock, 1125 ELGIN ST (HWY. #2)

That said its not that hard to believe that they're out of stock. Most stores may only be carrying 1-2 skus at most out of season or end of season. If you saw the flyer yesterday night then checked again this morning what probably happened is someone bought the last model that night!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4219 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
Although the term "bait & switch" is used a lot around here, if the OP went on day 1 and no stores have stock, it does seem like a bait & switch.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
Not sure about Ontario but here in Calgary you can usually buy at sale price on Thursday even with official sale starting on Friday. Other option - people who get flyers early just bought them and now as sale started are using price guarantee.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
55 upvotes
Burlington
No Frills wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 4:58 pm
Although the term "bait & switch" is used a lot around here, if the OP went on day 1 and no stores have stock, it does seem like a bait & switch.

However the propane version of that BBQ is also on sale and is only slightly easier to find, so I think the reality is that we're just dealing with clearance on a hard-to-find item.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
4799 posts
692 upvotes
If it'll make the OP feel better - the Napoleon BBQ's at CT are made in China. I had a look at one a couple of weeks ago and the label on the back had the corporate address of the company and then said Made in China at the bottom of the sticker.
Jun 29, 2009
147 posts
10 upvotes
That would be true if the flyer specifically advertised the model that the OP was looking for but it doesn't. It just says that 1/2 price on select BBQ's and outdoor stoves, it doesn't list any specify BBQ.
Not sure about Ontario but here in Calgary you can usually buy at sale price on Thursday even with official sale starting on Friday. Other option - people who get flyers early just bought them and now as sale started are using price guarantee.
This is what happened. Most managers/cashiers aren't to argue with a customer over giving sales price early. It's just easier to give them the sale price a day early then it is to argue with them over "false advertising" and forcing them to come back the next day.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4219 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
Euroae wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 9:06 pm
That would be true if the flyer specifically advertised the model that the OP was looking for but it doesn't.
Oh, I thought it was. I stand corrected.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
15 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 9:08 pm
Oh, I thought it was. I stand corrected.
Correct - the FLYER just said clearance of SELECTED BBQ's! HOWEVER, on the CTC WEBSITE, the Napolean Nat Gas model IS shown at half price, along with a Mastercraft model, now 199, and a CENTRO model at $267.
The excuse given to me by the head office customer service rep, - that the flyers are sent to the printers weeks ahead, and thus stock is difficult to predict so far in advance - is ********, since, in this case, IT'S ADVERTISED ON THE WEBSITE, NOT IN THE FLYER, - the Website can be updated immediately to reflect stock.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
15 upvotes
Anathem wrote:
Sep 10th, 2010 4:37 pm
OK I goofed, its the propane model, not the natural gas model.

HOWEVER the Cobourg store apparently has stock, 1125 ELGIN ST (HWY. #2)

That said its not that hard to believe that they're out of stock. Most stores may only be carrying 1-2 skus at most out of season or end of season. If you saw the flyer yesterday night then checked again this morning what probably happened is someone bought the last model that night!

Thank you for that information! I have repeatedly checked on the Website for the Cobourg store stock on the Napolean BBQ, and it keeps showing "In Stock!" although it also displays "last updated Sept. 9".
First of all, the clerk at the local store who (tried hard ) to help me Friday morning told me that the stock availability info on the Web is notoriously innacurate.
Second, the head office customer service rep was unable to locate any stock in the Province, and advised me of that.
Therefore, I am highly suspicious of the "in stock" web info for the Cobourg store.
I WAS tempted to phone the store, and confirm whether or not they had stock, BUT have had previous experience being told, Yes, it's in stock, only to make a long drive and, on arrival, told - no stock.
As well, as another poster pointed out, the particular Napoleon model is MADE IN CHINA, which I hadn't realized. Both Napoleon and Broil King make BBQ's in Ontario, and I'd prefer to support local business than one in China. I have read warnings against buying cheap made in China BBQ's because of issues including poor quality, "stainless" steel that quickly rusts, and parts availability. It is disappointing that Napoleon would stoop to selling made in China products to those thinking they are buying a quality made in Ontario product!
It does explain the contradiction between the Napoleon quality expectations, the high price, and my observation on the (not on sale) similar floor model (only difference + side burner) of flimsiness (bendy side burner cover), and a LOT of exposed sharp edges.
× < >