Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] $19.93 16x25x4 Honeywell Furnace Filter Clearance 50% off (and other sizes) YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2017 4:55 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3571 posts
2221 upvotes
GTA

[Canadian Tire] $19.93 16x25x4 Honeywell Furnace Filter Clearance 50% off (and other sizes) YMMV

FYI, I noticed these MERV12 Honeywell 16x25x4 filters were on sale at Canadian Tire. The shelves were already empty but I found a box on the top shelf with 3 of them and took the whole thing.
YMMV as it says in store clearance, but a few of the CT around me had is on sale.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/honey ... 3458p.html

These 1in ones are also on sale.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/filtr ... 5304p.html
28 replies
Jan 2, 2017
176 posts
96 upvotes
For the uninitiated: You likely don't need anything above MERV 8 unless you have really bad allergies or some medical condition that requires extra filtration.

Also when you go above MERV 8, your furnace will be doing much more work to push the same amount of air through which will burn your motor quicker, and can potentially even damage your motor if you put in a high MERV rating filter.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3571 posts
2221 upvotes
GTA
patroniton wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 1:50 am
For the uninitiated: You likely don't need anything above MERV 8 unless you have really bad allergies or some medical condition that requires extra filtration.

Also when you go above MERV 8, your furnace will be doing much more work to push the same amount of air through which will burn your motor quicker, and can potentially even damage your motor if you put in a high MERV rating filter.
That's true, and I usually use MERV 8, but flow varies widely between each brand/model.
For instance, the MERV 12 flows as well or better than some of the MERV 8 tested in this report. All of the filters between MERV 6 to MERV 12 were withing +/- 50 cfm.
http://homeenergy.org/show/article/nav/ ... e/4/id/667

I will be sure to note if my PSC blower is flowing significantly less with the MERV 12 filter. The previous owners were using 1in filters so I'm already way ahead using a 4in filter with regards to increased surface area.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
1937 posts
1027 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
That is indeed a steal for this price. I usually take out my filter monthly, fire up my compressor and blow the heck out of my filter, thus extending its life and also easing the burden on the furnace blower motor.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest town in Canada
Support local small business
Sep 4, 2006
373 posts
57 upvotes
Thanks, my closest CT had them at regular price, but I found another location that had them at the clearance price, so I bought three for ISPU.
Mar 19, 2002
172 posts
29 upvotes
thanks OP, id give you a thanks but the forum isn't showing the icons for your post. Strangely subsequent post show the thumbs. After ordering mine for instore pickup, I checked the actual dimension of the Honeywell and they are slightly too large in depth. They are actually 4-3/8". This is the Chatham store so they be restocking 6 units today at some point.
Heatware Reference Tyger
Mar 19, 2006
852 posts
241 upvotes
patroniton wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 1:50 am

True and even if you do have allergies etc., extra filtration at the furnace will not help you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3571 posts
2221 upvotes
GTA
Tyger wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:21 am
thanks OP, id give you a thanks but the forum isn't showing the icons for your post. Strangely subsequent post show the thumbs. After ordering mine for instore pickup, I checked the actual dimension of the Honeywell and they are slightly too large in depth. They are actually 4-3/8". This is the Chatham store so they be restocking 6 units today at some point.
The forums seems to be having all kinds of issues. Not sure if they're being DDOS'd or just the DB failing.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5503 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
StealthFinder wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 7:06 am
That is indeed a steal for this price. I usually take out my filter monthly, fire up my compressor and blow the heck out of my filter, thus extending its life and also easing the burden on the furnace blower motor.
How long will a filter last with regular blowing out? I assume blowing from the "inside" out?

How do you know when to replace?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2941 posts
636 upvotes
Montreal
Nanodollars wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:22 am
True and even if you do have allergies etc., extra filtration at the furnace will not help you.
Why not?
Oct 2, 2013
738 posts
315 upvotes
Montreal
Inno wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:30 am
How long will a filter last with regular blowing out? I assume blowing from the "inside" out?

How do you know when to replace?
Usually, a filter is considered not good anymore when the light can't be seen though the filter.
Mar 19, 2006
852 posts
241 upvotes
GT!! wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:40 am
Why not?
After the filter, the clean air is then transported through your ducts through your house. On its way to its final destination, the filtered air will pick up all of the allergens that you are allergic to. Furnace filters are there to primarily protect equipment not improve air quality.

If you really need have asthma bad allergies, the filtered air needs to be cleaned in the room and recirculated - say in a bedroom.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
2057 posts
888 upvotes
Ottawa
I think this is the one that will be on sale starting Friday for 50% off (16x25x1" 4-pack) for $19.99 - 3M MPR 600 = MERV 8
Filtrete Filters, 4-pk
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3571 posts
2221 upvotes
GTA
Nanodollars wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 11:51 am
After the filter, the clean air is then transported through your ducts through your house. On its way to its final destination, the filtered air will pick up all of the allergens that you are allergic to. Furnace filters are there to primarily protect equipment not improve air quality.

If you really need have asthma bad allergies, the filtered air needs to be cleaned in the room and recirculated - say in a bedroom.
True, but it will reduce the number of allegens/viruses/etc that are circulated through your house. If used constantly it will eventually lower the amount the whole house because instead of continuously circulating the offending particles, they will be trapped in the filter. Basically the same as your single room example, but in the whole house. You can speed up the process by cleaning the ducts. In your example, you'd have to disinfect the whole room and keep it under positive pressure to prevent new particles from entering.