Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

39.99$ Mastercraft 3KO Corded Impact Wrench 220 ft-lbs

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2014 6:15 pm
Jun 5, 2008
681 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal, QC

[Canadian Tire] 39.99$ Mastercraft 3KO Corded Impact Wrench 220 ft-lbs

I found this today at Canadian Tire. I think it's a great deal if you are, as I am, tired of charging your batteries/don't have a compressor. As winter time is coming, I thought some of you might appreciate it for your wheels swap.
70 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2237 posts
569 upvotes
Kelowna
This is often on sale for this price. Still, it is a good deal. Just used it to change my tires Saturday.
Banned
Feb 25, 2007
2007 posts
792 upvotes
Woodbridge
Swapped my winters this weekend as well as changes my front rotors and brakes . took me about 2 1/2 hrs for a total of 77$ :) . Used hand tools
Go Big or Go Home! , Chi Chi Get the Yayo!
Jun 10, 2003
297 posts
16 upvotes
cronichead wrote: Swapped my winters this weekend as well as changes my front rotors and brakes . took me about 2 1/2 hrs for a total of 77$ :) . Used hand tools
Impact guns are not just for tires.

Going to pick this up today. I have an air impact wrench but it can be frustrating to get the compressor out each time.

Thanked.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think I'd use this for putting wheels on per se; but for taking the wheel bolts off (or nuts) I can see this being pretty handy/quick.

I'm just concerned for the amount of wrist jerk you'd get trying to remove some stubborn wheel bolts. Also, I wouldn't want an unpredictable jerk to damage the wheel itself. I use a 24" breaker bar to loosen/crack the bolt before replacing the socket onto a ratcheting socket-wrench and removing the bolt completely... as you can imagine, this takes a bit of time to do, swapping from breaker bar to socket-wrench.

Does anyone have any experience in how the torque force works on this thing? Can you comfortably hold it in place with out ripping your wrist off?
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
FYI - This unit regularly goes on sale for $40. It will also have a difficult time breaking any nuts that are seized. I was not able to remove my lugs after a winter using this unit.

I bought the 7.5A unit a month or so ago, which was on sale for $99. It is miles better than the 3.5A version. My recommendation is to consider a beefier unit if you plan to use it for wheels.
Jun 6, 2007
27 posts
4 upvotes
Repooc wrote: I don't think I'd use this for putting wheels on per se; but for taking the wheel bolts off (or nuts) I can see this being pretty handy/quick.

I'm just concerned for the amount of wrist jerk you'd get trying to remove some stubborn wheel bolts. Also, I wouldn't want an unpredictable jerk to damage the wheel itself. I use a 24" breaker bar to loosen/crack the bolt before replacing the socket onto a ratcheting socket-wrench and removing the bolt completely... as you can imagine, this takes a bit of time to do, swapping from breaker bar to socket-wrench.

Does anyone have any experience in how the torque force works on this thing? Can you comfortably hold it in place with out ripping your wrist off?
Impact tools use a brief but powerful force to loosen/tighten fasteners. And they are heavy, so the force you feel is very low. They will not rip your wrist off.
Also, you are less likely to break a stuck fastener with impact than with straight torque. (Start with a reasonable power level and let the impacts weaken the bond)
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
+1 Good to know.. thanked.

That's exactly what I was eluding to in my previous post... hence why I've always used a long breaker bar allowing me control the amount of leverage I place onto the bolt.

I'd hate to fire this gun up on a sized bolt and completely wrench my wrist.
Jun 5, 2008
681 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Yea, I just did some testing. This unit barely removed my summer seized lugs. I think I will keep on cracking my bolts with a breaker bar and finish em off with this gun as it takes like half a second :D .

For the question about torque, the tool is quite beefy and it doesn't feel too bad in my hand, even for my smaller sized hands. It hasn't ripped my wrist off, might be different for you tho.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
Raptor200637 wrote: Yea, I just did some testing. This unit barely removed my summer seized lugs. I think I will keep on cracking my bolts with a breaker bar and finish em off with this gun as it takes like half a second :D .

For the question about torque, the tool is quite beefy and it doesn't feel too bad in my hand, even for my smaller sized hands. It hasn't ripped my wrist off, might be different for you tho.
Yes, you always need to start with breaker bar to loosen a bit, and then finish tightening with a breaker bar
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the real feedback
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
Engi-Nir wrote: Yes, you always need to start with breaker bar to loosen a bit, and then finish tightening with a breaker bar
WAT?!

Are you sure you're an engineer?

Always use a torque wrench to tighten to spec... not a breaker bar.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
Repooc wrote: WAT?!

If you tighten by hand that is suffice, never had any issues with lug nuts falling, being tight to remove, ,etc. Do have a torque wrench, never bothered after the first novice attempts.

But I guess, if people not comfortable with how much they tightening, good to use torque wrench.
Jan 30, 2010
451 posts
470 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks OP. 3 left on the shelf at the Dundas/403 location (Winston Park) as of this post.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2959 posts
463 upvotes
Montreal
My father's impact wrench started to fail when he changed his tires. Didn't realize it until I told him he's missing a bolt on his wheel. Always hand check once done
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1401 posts
665 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote: WAT?!

Break bar was mainly used and it served quite well.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2237 posts
569 upvotes
Kelowna
How tight are you guys torquing your lugs that you can't get them off? Most cars don't require moire than about 90 ft lb.
Jun 5, 2008
681 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal, QC
tunglete wrote: this http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... 3182p.html
went onsale twice this year at 49.99 and I grabbed one @47.99 in there clearance box. I highly recommend this cuz of its power.
Are those 20 ft-lbs that much better?
Sinyk wrote: How tight are you guys torquing your lugs that you can't get them off? Most cars don't require moire than about 90 ft lb.
Mines were set at 80 and I struggled until I removed the socket extension.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)