Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

4.8 amp 5/8" Bosch SDS+ Rotary Hammer $99.99 - starts Thurs

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2019 8:30 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester

[Canadian Tire] 4.8 amp 5/8" Bosch SDS+ Rotary Hammer $99.99 - starts Thurs

From the Canadian Tire website:
  • Bosch SDS-plus® Concrete Corded Drill is the ultimate concrete drilling solution for the hammer drill user, it has 4.8 amps of power and 1.4 ft/lb. of real impact energy that provides fast, smooth drilling performance when drilling small diameter holes into concrete all day
  • At 11.9" (30 cm) in length and 4.8 lb (2 kg) in weight, the tool is compact, lightweight and perfect for drilling applications in hard to reach areas or overhead
  • Dual-mode selector easily converts from rotation-only to rotary hammer mode
  • Variable speed tigger with reversing for complete control for drilling, driving and removing bits or screws
  • SDS-plus® bit system for toolless bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection and maximum impact energy transfer rate
  • Service Minder™ brushes eliminates guesswork and stops the tool when preventative maintenance is required
  • Integral clutch disengages torque transmission if the bit gets into a bind situation
  • 360° auxiliary handle with quick release depth gauge results in wide range of movement for comfort along with consistent drilling depth
  • Includes: Rotary Hammer, 360° Auxiliary handle, depth gauge, 3 SDS-plus® bits (3/16", 1/4", 5/16") and carrying case
  • Bosch Model #:11258VSR

This is the lightest weight Bosch rotary hammer - strictly for DIYers - and the replacement, upgraded (and beefier) model has been out for a while now. For $100, this is more than enough for almost all DIYer and is a steal at this price - there are definitely better SDS+ rotary hammers out there but chances are you don't own one of those and you'd have to pay a multiple of this price.

Edit: I do not have personal experience with this drill. While I am a fan of Bosch rotary hammers, I cannot speak to the performance of this one. While it is an SDS+ rotary hammer (with all the advantages of SDS), it is definitely for home use. It will undoubtedly outperform most consumer-grade cordless hammer drills in terms of cleanliness of holes and drilling speed and it's hard to beat at this price. That being said, I personally would not buy this unit.
Last edited by CaptSmethwick on Dec 19th, 2019 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5335 posts
3149 upvotes
A Place to Stand
I'm looking for something that will drill through granite, not counter tops but the real deal, the Canadian Shield. Anyone know if this drill is capable? And if so, any clue on the maximum diameter hole it could drill into said granite?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3673 posts
4140 upvotes
Anyone knows where to find good chisel bits for it? To use on concrete floor.
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
May 27, 2016
248 posts
236 upvotes
BC
PriceHunter wrote: Anyone knows where to find good chisel bits for it? To use on concrete floor.
This drill is only for drilling, there is no hammer only option.

It works very well for drilling small holes but don't expect to drill anything larger than 5/8", the clutch will just slip continuously.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
4278 posts
3753 upvotes
midget_man wrote: I'm looking for something that will drill through granite, not counter tops but the real deal, the Canadian Shield. Anyone know if this drill is capable? And if so, any clue on the maximum diameter hole it could drill into said granite?
I have an old version (hand me down, probably 70s, made in Germany) of a Bosch non-sds hammer drill and it made decently quick work of granite up at the cottage for a dock installation. I used the blue diamond head granite bits from Bosch as well. I’d assume this could do the same.
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
midget_man wrote: I'm looking for something that will drill through granite
Not this, it is too underpowered but SDS is exactly what you need. The 5/8 refers to the maximum drill size, and most SDS+ will handle around 1" for intermittent use, but watch for heat if you drill lots.

Personally I would skip this model as underpowered and it doesn't have a hammer only mode and I find a powered chisel incredibly useful for removing tile, concrete etc. For under $150 you can pick up a much better version.

NB 'Sport' rock climbers often use cordless SDS drills to fasten bolts into rock faces, so well tested in granite. What's your plan?
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
PriceHunter wrote: Anyone knows where to find good chisel bits for it? To use on concrete floor.
Princess Auto has great value combo kits with bits and chisels, sometimes Amazon too.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
AndrewBond wrote: Not this, it is too underpowered but SDS is exactly what you need. The 5/8 refers to the maximum drill size, and most SDS+ will handle around 1" for intermittent use, but watch for heat if you drill lots.

Personally I would skip this model as underpowered and it doesn't have a hammer only mode and I find a powered chisel incredibly useful for removing tile, concrete etc. For under $150 you can pick up a much better version.

NB 'Sport' rock climbers often use cordless SDS drills to fasten bolts into rock faces, so well tested in granite. What's your plan?
There's a heavier duty, 1" SDS+ rotary hammer with a hammer-only option that is available for under $150?
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
I paid $135 for a 15/16 Bosch with hammer a few months ago as my Makita died (after 10 years and lots of use). Only issue is no 'hold' button for trigger and it's definitely a cheaper build than I would have liked but was mid project.

I stripped a bathroom floor of tile in under 15 minutes with the chisel, so worth it!

So I managed to find a cheap n cheerful Hiltex with hammer and alleged 1.5" capacity AND includes chisel bits for $108....... Even gets some reasonable reviews.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hiltex-10513-Rota ... ds&sr=8-17
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5335 posts
3149 upvotes
A Place to Stand
AndrewBond wrote: Not this, it is too underpowered but SDS is exactly what you need. The 5/8 refers to the maximum drill size, and most SDS+ will handle around 1" for intermittent use, but watch for heat if you drill lots.

I don't have any specific plan, but I'd like to own a drill that can get through granite for the cottage where its abundant. I've always got something on the go there that would be better secured directly into the rock. I installed a dock a few years ago and had to rent a drill (and the drill bit which was extra) for the day. It was a heavy duty rock drill, but it ended up costing me $150+ for the day just to rent, to drill 2 holes. Even with the Hitachi beast of a drill it was (to me at the time it was anyways, from what I was used to), it still took some doing to get those 2 holes drilled in that granite, 1 inch holes as I recall. So if there was a capable drill for the occasional project that wasn't going to break the bank, I'd like to own it. Thanks for the feedback, maybe this one is not what I am looking for.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
A little embarrassed here...

I thought this was the same model of Bosch rotary hammer that I have owned for years and it is not. I own the 11250VSR. It is quite similar to the one I posted and I paid significantly more than the price for the one on sale this week. Mine does not have a hammer only option but is 6.1 amps and 7/8" - in other words, noticeably beefier while still being on the lighter side. I am sure that explains my enthusiasm for Bosch rotary hammers. I have no experience with this sale Bosch and agree that it is for light DIY duty. I cannot imagine trying to drill 1" holes into granite with this unit.

It's still a good deal though - for those who need to drill into concrete, bricks, mortar from time to time. A good SDS rotary hammer produces a significantly cleaner hole.

Again, apologies for my endorsement.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2004
1049 posts
622 upvotes
Earth
AndrewBond wrote:
Princess Auto has great value combo kits with bits and chisels, sometimes Amazon too.
Princesses auto kit. I bought a kit works ok
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
CaptSmethwick wrote: Again, apologies for my endorsement.
No need to be embarrassed or apologize, as this could be perfect for some people, and far better than any regular hammer drill. Definitely a better brand than the 'Holtex' I found.....
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1159 posts
244 upvotes
https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-1191VSRK-12 ... 46&sr=8-10

this one is about the same price on amazon with 7 AMP, even this 7 amp is for normal drill. It could do one concrete hole once in a while

I got one as a gift but I have to try it
Last edited by Demon_Twinz on Dec 19th, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
feedback: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=657823
ebay feedback : demon_twinz
heatware ID: demon_twinz99
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
midget_man wrote: Even with the Hitachi beast of a drill it was (to me at the time it was anyways, from what I was used to), it still took some doing to get those 2 holes drilled in that granite, 1 inch holes as I recall.
1" in granite will be tough whatever you use. Even in concrete I prefer to start with a pilot hole and work my way up in 2 or 3 steps as faster and less wear on drill or bits. With your own gear this becomes more affordable. I got into SDS in Scotland as all the homes I was flipping had 2 feet of sandstone for a wall!

NB I hope they rented you an SDS Max set, the bigger brother of SDS÷. Definitely many, many more $$$$ to buy but can run all day without issue.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
I would agree that SDS+ for smaller holes in less dense stone and concrete/mortar products. D-handled SDS Max products are beasts - I rented one when I had to drill 16" through a concrete foundation I knew contained large stones and it was amazing. I doubt that my arms would hold up to doing that all afternoon let alone all day.