Canadian Tire 7 in one Mitre Saw with Laser

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2012 9:09 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 18, 2006
2 posts

Canadian Tire 7 in one Mitre Saw with Laser

The below is my letter to Canadian Tire -- haven't heard from them. I want all future shoppers to be aware of their dubious return policy............. beware you have been warned

I recently purchased a 7 in one Mastercraft Mitre Saw with Laser. After assembling the saw and making some test cuts I found that the laser did not work and the F-stop rotation was not smooth. The cuts were imprecise.

Being dissatisfied with the product I purchased a more expensive Mastercraft Mitre saw costing almost double the original one. I proceeded to return the first item to another store on the Queensway in Toronto. At the return desk I wasn't greeted, when I asked if I could return the product I was told very rudely that some saws could not be returned. Apparently the saw which I purchased was one of them. The store clerk again rudely mentioned "It is right on your bill... "Warranty: 3 year repair only". The last time I checked "warranty" referred to something that did not work, not to a return policy. The store clerk then mentioned you can take your product, to the location you purchased it from.
I did take the product to my original purchase location on Dundas in Mississauga. The store clerk was very polite, however said she could not take back the product. After close examination of my bill right at the bottom I noticed that it said " Refund in 90 days if unused....." If I had know this, my decision might have been different. Other stores have "Non returnable items" clearly mentioned on their bills -- at times the check out clerk even circles this!

I proceeded to return the second more expensive saw which I had not opened. The store took it back without any fuss. A majority of my tools are from Canadian Tire. However after this bad experience I have decided never to purchase another tool or any other item from Canadian Tire. To me a store that does not stand behind its brand and product and does not concern itself with satisfaction does not deserve my business.

Long Time but Last Time Canadian Tire Customer
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
Canadian Tire has inconsistent return policies? This is first I've ever of it. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
With any retailer, with any purchase, it is totally your responsibility to ask about - and understand - warranty and return privileges before you buy an item. I see no issue with Canadian Tire here.

Stores have gotten tired of the losses they take from people who casually buy things, try them out - or use them to fill a one time need - and then return them for a refund. What's a store supposed to do with used goods? Increasingly they're clamping down hard on their return policies and instituting restrictions on returns including restocking charges. Fiercer competition between chains leaves them with less of a profit margin to play with and so I would expect to see return policies continuing to tighten.
Dec 29, 2011
420 posts
28 upvotes
SASKATOON
I think I spotted your problem here. . . .

"I recently purchased a 7 in one Mastercraft Mitre Saw with Laser."

You get what you pay for. Never buy power tools at CT, ever. Especially Mastercraft, it is crap.

Tradesman
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
Tradesman wrote: I think I spotted your problem here. . . .

"I recently purchased a 7 in one Mastercraft Mitre Saw with Laser."

You get what you pay for. Never buy power tools at CT, ever. Especially Mastercraft, it is crap.

Tradesman

power tools yes, i agree. for hand tools most of them are not bad and they get the job done.

bought a mouse sander and it was garbage. bought the 3ko cordless impact and it was also garbage. actually the cordless impact was the worst.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: Canadian Tire has inconsistent return policies? This is first I've ever of it. :facepalm:

Yeah...this has been known on RFD for years however thankfully word is getting out more with that Marketplace report and various Star articles.

I stopped shopping there years ago and haven't been happier.
woof wrote: With any retailer, with any purchase, it is totally your responsibility to ask about - and understand - warranty and return privileges before you buy an item. I see no issue with Canadian Tire here.
Customers are used to a 30 day money back policy with no questions asked as long as there's no hint of fraud etc.

This is changing and Canadian Tire has been on the forefront of this with Sears following shortly thereafter.

That's fine - just more reason for me to do business with stores that still have a real return policy like Wal-Mart, Costco or Amazon.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
jimmy-j wrote: power tools yes, i agree. for hand tools most of them are not bad and they get the job done.

bought a mouse sander and it was garbage. bought the 3ko cordless impact and it was also garbage. actually the cordless impact was the worst.

I couldn't agree more. Mastercraft power tools aren't worth the money (even with their 'big' sales). I've bought and used their Maximum wrenches, but that's about it when it comes to any tools from CT.

Sorry you learned the hard way OP.
Dec 29, 2011
420 posts
28 upvotes
SASKATOON
"power tools yes, i agree. for hand tools most of them are not bad and they get the job done."

Oh yeah, that's why I specified power tools. Hand tools are okay I guess for around the house and whatnot. I work construction so I've grown attached to Klein, Makita, Greenlee and Wera brand names. They are expensive. However I use them 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and they stand up to the abuse I put them through.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)