Touring LXR: performance rating of 130,000 km

All 13 inch $52
All 14 inch $62
All 15 inch $72
All 16 inch $82

Dave
Aug 20, 2004
143 posts
Interested in the details as well... although I think I'll go with pure summer rubber instead this year.

Edit: Answered the exact minute I asked. Tx.

Dave
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19888 posts
1520 upvotes
Yep I'm with Dave, above... Sorry but I have to say it (again)...

Friends don't let friends buy all-season tyres.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
doing my homework on tires and a tire is more than just a tire my friends....ya, you can find the cheapest tire and slap it on your car....but quality is number one. you have to check out the specs, ratings and overall usage of the tire.

you have to look at:
the make
the UTQG rating
tread ware rating
traction rating
temperature rating
speed rating
and type (weather wise)

if you drive a goolie or a sundance ... then motomasters would be fine, otherwise, invest wisely.i learnt my lesson.

DavidY wrote:A local flyer has listed the following for sale this FINAL week:

Motomaster AW/AW+: performance rating of 100,000 km

All 13 inch $39
All 14 inch $49
All 15 inch $59

Motomaster SE: performance rating of 115,000 km

All 13 inch $46
All 14 inch $56
All 15 inch $66
All 16 inch $76

Touring LXR: performance rating of 130,000 km

All 13 inch $52
All 14 inch $62
All 15 inch $72
All 16 inch $82

Dave
ES_Revenge wrote:Yep I'm with Dave, above... Sorry but I have to say it (again)...

Friends don't let friends buy all-season tyres.
haha, but that depends when and how long you drive your car for...example:
i drive my car all year because i cannot afford a beater, so i have to change from winter rubber to a summer rubber as the seasons roll. now, my winters go on when i hear the weather girl say it will snow tomorrow. BUT when spring rolls around....it snows, it doesnt snow, its gets warm, it stays cool....its for this type of weather mixture that i reccomend a High Performance All Season tire...dont let the "all season" fool you. summer rubbers are good sor warm weather only, if they get caught up in this weather mix, the compound of your rubber is not made for it. they will not function properly and you could wear them out quicker.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19888 posts
1520 upvotes
kornstar369 wrote:haha, but that depends when and how long you drive your car for...

summer rubbers are good sor warm weather only, if they get caught up in this weather mix, the compound of your rubber is not made for it. they will not function properly and you could wear them out quicker.
Haha, yeah well I know what you mean about the stupid seasons and how they never really change definitely--that is a pain. I do drive my car year 'round, but I have winter wheels and tyres and summer wheels and tyres.

The winter I use stock 15" steel wheels on Motomaster Nordic IceTrack tyres (mfg. by BF Goodrich/Michelin), summer time its 17" aluminum on BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW tyres.

There are indeed some good all season tyres, they are a bit pricey (not that high performance summer tyres aren't more expensive a lot of the time, but they are worth it to me anyway). However all seasons are a compromise at best. Convenient, yes but if you think about it cost wise, it isn't much different (over time) because your tyres only wear for part of the year, and the winter tyres take over for the other part of the year. You have two sets of tyres but they last twice as long together, and the performance benefits are worth it IMO.

As for getting caught out in the wrong weather, yeah got caught in a light snow/ice on the G-Force T/As and I could barely control the car at all! In the dry they hold the road like *glue*, in the wet they are very good, in the snow? lol forget about it you might as well be on a sled hahaha... Evenso, a quick switch over to winter tyres and you're getting better winter safety than all-seasons.

Anyhow, good guide on the tyre selection too, hopefully people will make use of it!

That said, the Touring LXR Motomaster isn't a bad tire, for an all-season. Made by Michelin/BF Goodrich, good treadwear warranty and cheap price. It's the best tyre of the group there anyway. Certainly cheaper than a $250+/tyre G-Force T/A...
Sep 8, 2003
709 posts
32 upvotes
Remember to add $14 for balancing and $2.50 for disposal.
Mar 22, 2003
968 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
kornstar369 wrote:doing my homework on tires and a tire is more than just a tire my friends....ya, you can find the cheapest tire and slap it on your car....but quality is number one. you have to check out the specs, ratings and overall usage of the tire.

you have to look at:
the make
the UTQG rating
tread ware rating
traction rating
temperature rating
speed rating
and type (weather wise)

if you drive a goolie or a sundance ... then motomasters would be fine, otherwise, invest wisely.i learnt my lesson.

haha, but that depends when and how long you drive your car for...example:
i drive my car all year because i cannot afford a beater, so i have to change from winter rubber to a summer rubber as the seasons roll. now, my winters go on when i hear the weather girl say it will snow tomorrow. BUT when spring rolls around....it snows, it doesnt snow, its gets warm, it stays cool....its for this type of weather mixture that i reccomend a High Performance All Season tire...dont let the "all season" fool you. summer rubbers are good sor warm weather only, if they get caught up in this weather mix, the compound of your rubber is not made for it. they will not function properly and you could wear them out quicker.

Yes you are right, you should choose your tires with care.
As for the Motomaster tires candian tire does not make there own tires, they get another tire maker to make them. I heared from a friend who use to work at [rfdlink=http://forums.redflagdeals.com/autolink ... ?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink] that some brands of motomaster tires are made by michelin. look at the thread they are the same..
Jan 23, 2003
135 posts
i got mine last week... they told me is made by goodyear.... so i brought it... so far so good... i have no complain
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
robinto wrote:Remember to add $14 for balancing and $2.50 for disposal.
You can tell them to mount them for you (free) without balancing and dispose the tire at your city's depot. Also don't forget to tell them to install new tire valves for free.

Then you take the tires somewhere like Costco for balancing for $5 per tire.

Saving of 11.5 + tax per tire, total --> $52.9.
Mar 22, 2003
968 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
DragonZealot wrote:You can tell them to mount them for you (free) without balancing and dispose the tire at your city's depot. Also don't forget to tell them to install new tire valves for free.

Then you take the tires somewhere like Costco for balancing for $5 per tire.

Saving of 11.5 + tax per tire, total --> $52.9.

Have you ever drove a car were the wheels were not balance, lets just say it's not a fun ride
Dec 9, 2004
452 posts
Ottawa
I've had the Motomaster SE's on for a couple of years. First year I had them on for winter as well, and expectedly they underperformed. I decided to invest in a set of winter tires last year and driving became appreciably safer and less scary.
The tires themselves are fine for their price. However, looking back I should have invested more on slightly better tires. They are michelin's old design, so you can expect a minimum level of quality. But for incremental costs, I believe you can get better drivability on wet roads, better high-speed stability, and more durable thread wear than these Motomasters.
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
Nightgod wrote:Have you ever drove a car were the wheels were not balance, lets just say it's not a fun ride
thats the sacfrifice to save 52 bux....

but as far as the motormasters go...i still wouldnt pick them up even made by bridgestone or whoever...i just dont trust em...
Jul 22, 2004
18 posts
I seriously doubt that they will install them and let your car out of the shop WITHOUT balancing them. That could be a safety issue. :!:

I called my local CT and they said add $20 per tire for installation, balance, etc.
× < >