Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Car Detailing Mothers Clay Bar 200g Value Pack (Cloth, Clay Bar, and Spray) - $29.74 In-Store [Warm]

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2018 3:15 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
prod wrote: Most cars dont even need clay, Ive had this same 200g pack for about 5 years, and still have 1/2 bar remaining.
All cars need a clay. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean the surface isn't dirty. This is an integral step to a proper surface prep. Clay bar your vehicle after you've washed it. Guaranteed, there's pollution still stuck to it. The clay helps to remove these as well as the visible surface contaminants.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2359 upvotes
Very curious as to what vehicles have magical paint that doesn't get marred from being "scrubbed" with a clay bar and impervious to surface contaminants from the air such as brake/rail dust.

I too wish to enjoy magical paint so that I don't have to waste time being careful when claying to avoid scratches when I can just mindlessly scrub with zero worries, or spend a fortune on Iron-X, since my paint would be brake dust free.
Nov 16, 2006
502 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
You can use plumbers putty for a fraction of the cost and get identical results.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
kaiseki wrote: Make sure you do your research on how to properly clay bar your car, cause I've seen some absolutely horrible results from people failing to do it properly
Extremely easy to do, how can anyone mess that up?
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2011
1802 posts
2057 upvotes
Québec Gold
major153 wrote:
Knock off quality good?
Honestly i never used that before I can’t comment about quality. I don’t know if it is normal but it melt down when in storage in plastic bag?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1398 posts
863 upvotes
texem71 wrote: Walmart has if for $25 and change the 200 gram. Will confirm tomorrow.
I got this for $12 at Walmart USA but i find Pinnacle clay bar is a much better quality.

Canadian Tire has the quick detailer in store on sale for $10
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2359 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote: Extremely easy to do, how can anyone mess that up?
You're giving people too much credit. It's just like with washing your car, bad approach/technique. Washing a car is even easier but people still manage to scratch up their paint.

If you don't wash your vehicle before claying, use too aggressive a grade of clay, clay in incorrect directions, clay starting from the bottom to the top of your vehicle, clay too dry, use too much pressure, not fold enough with debris stuck to the surface - it will do damage. Heck even if you do it correctly, there can still be fine scratches.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2132 posts
763 upvotes
blackston3 wrote: So is it the 200g clay bar + shine spray + cloth for $29

or just 200g clay bar for $29?

I would think option A would be the better alternative, right?
Sorry, I should've added more detail in the OP. But, yeah it does come with the same stuff, cloth and spray, just a larger bar for the same price.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2010
1020 posts
958 upvotes
Toronto
This is for touching up top coat scratches right? I have a white scratch on my fender from a hit and run so it'll work for that right? Do I need to get a little paint touch up can from the dealer as well or is that only for deeper scratches that are dark?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
Lemonylol wrote: This is for touching up top coat scratches right? I have a white scratch on my fender from a hit and run so it'll work for that right? Do I need to get a little paint touch up can from the dealer as well or is that only for deeper scratches that are dark?
I'd be interested to know this as well. I have an area where someone rubbed something along my front bumper and the clear coat has a whitish sheen/glaze to it that I'd like to get out.

Would a clay bar help?
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
So, how long would it take to do an average sized sedan, I understand that it varies probably with paint quality, contamination levels, etc. Just wondering average?
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
prod wrote: Most cars dont even need clay, Ive had this same 200g pack for about 5 years, and still have 1/2 bar remaining.
then you either:

1) do not drive
2) are not doing it properly
or
3) are super super rich and your butler has been doing it for you without you knowing.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
jackass_ca wrote: So, how long would it take to do an average sized sedan, I understand that it varies probably with paint quality, contamination levels, etc. Just wondering average?
quick, 30 minutes.
bad, 2 hours.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
dpw198 wrote: I'd be interested to know this as well. I have an area where someone rubbed something along my front bumper and the clear coat has a whitish sheen/glaze to it that I'd like to get out.

Would a clay bar help?
Yes! Absolutely. It is great at removing paint transfer.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Unless they stocked a new bigger box per OP’s description, bought this last week for 20% off (spray, cloth, 2 bars). I didn’t see another Mother’s clay kit on the shelf and only this one is on CT’s site.

I then polish/waxed the next day for a glass like finish:

Jul 31, 2004
344 posts
326 upvotes
Unionville
that's a nice mirror shine. bit off topic.. can someone recommend a decent swirl, polish, wax that's under $15-20 at crappy tire that can be used after the clay? Looking to do just a quick wash, clay, and polish. I don't want to spend like 6 hours detailing the car..
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
Lemonylol wrote: This is for touching up top coat scratches right? I have a white scratch on my fender from a hit and run so it'll work for that right? Do I need to get a little paint touch up can from the dealer as well or is that only for deeper scratches that are dark?
dpw198 wrote: I'd be interested to know this as well. I have an area where someone rubbed something along my front bumper and the clear coat has a whitish sheen/glaze to it that I'd like to get out.

Would a clay bar help?
No. A clay bar is not used to touch up scratches. If anything, it adds more. What it does do is remove contaminates sitting on top of the paint and clearcoat. If you use it on your scratch, you'll likely remove the paint transfer from the other vehicle but the scratch will still be there. Depending on how deep the scratch is, what you need is a polish to level out the scratch or a repaint if the scratch is deep.
Dec 22, 2009
207 posts
116 upvotes
YYC
Thanks OP and forum, tried the deceiving Mother's (it shows 160 g bars in picture, instead of two 100 g bars in package) for the first time and results are good, not uploading another black paint photo but, got the same mirror finishing.

The detailer in the bottle is good for quick touches too so, all in all, a decent deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
bringit wrote: that's a nice mirror shine. bit off topic.. can someone recommend a decent swirl, polish, wax that's under $15-20 at crappy tire that can be used after the clay? Looking to do just a quick wash, clay, and polish. I don't want to spend like 6 hours detailing the car..
you don't really get a "quick" polish.

You can get fillers, such as a glaze, or waxes that fill in scratches. Those only work temporarily and once the product wears out (typically pretty fast...) then you see the scratches again.

For a good polish, you need a machine and proper product. You can get a polisher for about $130-$150 on sale. Plus all the equipment and product you need, you are at $200 ish.

You could hand polish. But that is not quick nor easy (very tiring). Imagine this, a machine spinning at 3000-6000 RPM. how long would it take you to reach that by hand?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Watch some Chemical Guys vids on how to.
Don’t drop that bar! Keep balling/rolling to get fresh clay surfaces, kling wrap leftovers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)