Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Car ramp for oil change $37.49

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2017 12:24 pm
Mar 23, 2008
227 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a set of these on friday to work on my car. Lots of clearance to fit myself plus drill and such (repairing a heat shield that the dealer wanted $440 to replace ... Fixed it for under $100 and not a lot of new tools out of it... the ramp, a Rivet gun, random other stuff for me :))

I was able to drive up myself no worries, just don't gun it. nice and slow and you do not need a spotter.
Mar 13, 2010
79 posts
8 upvotes
I don't know about these but some ramps do slide forward when raising the front end on a rear wheel drive vehicle. It did it 35 years ago when I'd drive my 67 check on a set of homemade wooden ramps and I see it happens to my neighbour when he drives his vehicle on his steel ramps. The Canadian tire ramps look like they have lots of traction and a front wheel drive should crawl right up without the ramp sliding.
May 2, 2017
32 posts
1 upvote
Nice deal I will try it. I hope the quality is good as compare to price.
"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." ~ Bruce Lee
Jul 21, 2008
365 posts
234 upvotes
GTA
I used these on my 2009 corolla as well as my 2015 grand caravan and had no clearance issues with mudguards scraping the ramps when driving up them. Neither have very high ground clearances either.
Jul 2, 2014
287 posts
42 upvotes
Maple, ON
ES_Revenge wrote:
May 15th, 2017 7:42 am
Um, that's exactly what you're supposed to do (reading instructions does help sometimes). Were you trying to just drive up from a distance? Even pushing them under the wheels they can slip but it's not so difficult as to be impossible.
Yah lol. I figured giving myself some distance would make it easier and high rev straight up on top.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1086 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 14th, 2017 11:13 pm
I remember somebody posting on RFD how he just got 2by4's and just built his own ramp. Cheaper than buying these. Also, aren't they plastic? I'm a bit concerned if they would crack.

Isn't the oil filter accessed under the car?
I did. Can't use these commercial ones because the top of the ramp hits my bumper because my wheel gets on... even worst when coming down because the springs compress a little bit. I have a stock height wrx.

I used 2x10s .... aint cheap, ain't light. but its sturdy and would trust it over these commercial ones. They are glued and screwed together and the bottom plate I made a few groves with my circular saw to allow for small rocks to get in the cracks.
Nov 9, 2011
894 posts
171 upvotes
Winnipeg
BeapChastard wrote:
May 14th, 2017 10:11 pm
Good deal but I started doing my oil changes with a pump, it's quicker and cleaner and you don't have to go under the car.
Still gotta change the filter dudeFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking EyeThumbs Down Sign maybe every other oil change, but after the 1st change it's pretty much a must swapping out the oil filter as well.Thinking Face
Le_arned to Churn now I use it as my hanrness.
Buy low sell high, always make a way to get what you want!💪😁👌
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21649 posts
2406 upvotes
Comical wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:16 am
Yah lol. I figured giving myself some distance would make it easier and high rev straight up on top.
Not sure if serious but that's almost a surefire way to get to a "why did you turn" incident :lol:
Sep 1, 2015
104 posts
22 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Damn it.. Bought it on Saturday for $50-ish. Going back there this evening for a price check.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3013 posts
664 upvotes
Montreal
sixshot28 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:32 am
Still gotta change the filter dudeFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking EyeThumbs Down Sign maybe every other oil change, but after the 1st change it's pretty much a must swapping out the oil filter as well.Thinking Face
Many engines now have the filter on top, in which case you do not need to go under the car to change it.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3013 posts
664 upvotes
Montreal
Speaking of cars that have the filter on top, another option for them is to use a Fumoto oil drain valve as the drain plug. With one of those installed you can probably reach under to release the valve without lifting the car at all. This is what I've been doing on my roadster for years.

Oh, and if someone is going to comment that you still need to lift the car to get the Fumoto valve installed (and you don't have ramps or jackstands), just bring your car somewhere to have the oil changed and bring the Fumoto valve and ask them to install it in place of the original one.
Sep 1, 2015
104 posts
22 upvotes
Ajax, ON
GT!! wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:02 am
Many engines now have the filter on top, in which case you do not need to go under the car to change it.
That really means it depends on the car. So, telling people a pump is better than ramps really doesn't make sense.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3013 posts
664 upvotes
Montreal
dhimoet wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:22 am
That really means it depends on the car. So, telling people a pump is better than ramps really doesn't make sense.
I was responding to sixshot28 who said that you still have to get under the car to change the oil filter. I wasn't making any comment on pump vs. ramp.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5611 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
phredder wrote:
May 15th, 2017 8:27 am
I don't know about these but some ramps do slide forward when raising the front end on a rear wheel drive vehicle. It did it 35 years ago when I'd drive my 67 check on a set of homemade wooden ramps and I see it happens to my neighbour when he drives his vehicle on his steel ramps. The Canadian tire ramps look like they have lots of traction and a front wheel drive should crawl right up without the ramp sliding.
These are designed to not slip. There's some grippy surface on the bottoms to prevent that.
Mar 31, 2008
280 posts
125 upvotes
Calgary
I'm tempted to get another pair of these, I paid full price last year for them. They are perfect for my little beater car, Toyota echo only weighs 2,000 lbs but the oil filter is tight underneath with not much room to work.
Pump would really only work if you didn't have to do the filter underneath.