• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2017 12:24 pm
Dec 26, 2012
92 posts
15 upvotes
MILTON
sonyminidiscman wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:18 am
I did. Can't use these commercial ones because the top of the ramp hits my bumper because my wheel gets on... even worst when coming down because the springs compress a little bit. I have a stock height wrx.

I used 2x10s .... aint cheap, ain't light. but its sturdy and would trust it over these commercial ones. They are glued and screwed together and the bottom plate I made a few groves with my circular saw to allow for small rocks to get in the cracks.
Is your wrx 2016 or older? if yes I have to cancel my order then.
KOODO
TANGERINE BANK
Sep 1, 2015
104 posts
22 upvotes
Ajax, ON
GT!! wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:34 am
I was responding to sixshot28 who said that you still have to get under the car to change the oil filter. I wasn't making any comment on pump vs. ramp.
Yeah, my bad. I was using your statement to point out to those guys. Did not mean to actually reply to you. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1053 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
hdub8817 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:05 am
Is your wrx 2016 or older? if yes I have to cancel my order then.
I have 2010 WRX...
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3437 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
Scorpiate wrote:
May 15th, 2017 8:26 am
I was able to drive up myself no worries, just don't gun it. nice and slow and you do not need a spotter.
Yup, have one foot on the gas and the other on the brake as you go up the ramp.

Just for extra measure, I put jack stands under as well and remember to chock the rear wheels
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2877 posts
594 upvotes
Montreal
mcwilly wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:03 am
I'm tempted to get another pair of these, I paid full price last year for them. They are perfect for my little beater car, Toyota echo only weighs 2,000 lbs but the oil filter is tight underneath with not much room to work.
Pump would really only work if you didn't have to do the filter underneath.
Why would you want another pair?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
1886 posts
393 upvotes
roofster wrote:
May 14th, 2017 10:53 pm
These looks useful for getting under the car. But specifically for oil changes, why not use spend the money on an oil pump? I'm thinking about buying one and curious about other opinions.

This is the first result on amazon for oil pump - $45

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-Tool- ... s=oil+pump
But there's gunk and particles at the bottom of the oil pan. You need to get that stuff out because its the most damaging. Only gravity can do that.
Nov 2, 2012
442 posts
308 upvotes
Winnipeg
SomeOtherDude wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:23 pm
But there's gunk and particles at the bottom of the oil pan. You need to get that stuff out because its the most damaging. Only gravity can do that.
That's actually not true. The oil drain plug usually isn't at the lowest point of the oil pan. It never drains fully even if you leave it to drip for a long time. Jacking up the front/back/weird angle might help some, but it still won't drain everything. You'll actually get more from vacuuming it out than you will letting it drain as you can get the tube right to the bottom of the pan, and move it around as well if you really wanted to.

Here's an example with a cut open oil pan with water to show how much is left once it's finished draining.

Mar 13, 2010
77 posts
8 upvotes
Caerus wrote:
May 16th, 2017 1:10 am
That's actually not true. The oil drain plug usually isn't at the lowest point of the oil pan. It never drains fully even if you leave it to drip for a long time. Jacking up the front/back/weird angle might help some, but it still won't drain everything. You'll actually get more from vacuuming it out than you will letting it drain as you can get the tube right to the bottom of the pan, and move it around as well if you really wanted
So I'm guessing to vacuum the oil you shove a hose down through the dip stick tube? If so then how does one know the hose end goes to the deepest part of the pan?

I personally could never understand why car manufacturers would mount the drain hole anywhere else other than the back of a pan.
Feb 25, 2004
273 posts
36 upvotes
I use these ramps for my 13 Santa fe and 09 A3, both have enough clearance to get underneath and the ramps are sturdy, lots of misinformation about their quality, they are excellent for this task

A couple of things I'm going to suggest
even though you use a ramp I will recommend using Jack stands as a safe guard
I always throw in a bit of new oil to clean out the old stuff once it's drained, you can see the colour change and become clearer, something to consider for those wanting to ensure they got all the gunk
you don't need a spotter but it's helpful
take your time
Nov 20, 2009
605 posts
245 upvotes
My Basement
Caerus wrote:
May 16th, 2017 1:10 am
That's actually not true. The oil drain plug usually isn't at the lowest point of the oil pan. It never drains fully even if you leave it to drip for a long time. Jacking up the front/back/weird angle might help some, but it still won't drain everything. You'll actually get more from vacuuming it out than you will letting it drain as you can get the tube right to the bottom of the pan, and move it around as well if you really wanted to.

Here's an example with a cut open oil pan with water to show how much is left once it's finished draining.
Dipsticks are never situated right over the lowest point of the pan, so sucking out the oil may leave lots of oil and residue behind. That photo shows the water level slightly over the bottom of the drain plug so, assuming that the pan was level while the photo was taken, more would have drained out. B.S. example also. Someone just cut up a pan, poured in some water and wrote "see how much is left?"

I used to have an extractor. I once sucked out the oil, then took out the drain plug. Lots more came out. I'll never do a suck job again.
Aug 28, 2010
937 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
BeapChastard wrote:
May 14th, 2017 10:11 pm
Good deal but I started doing my oil changes with a pump, it's quicker and cleaner and you don't have to go under the car.
I was going to start doing this but heard that you dont get all the oil out/stuff at bottom?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21193 posts
2184 upvotes
RSole wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:21 am
Dipsticks are never situated right over the lowest point of the pan, so sucking out the oil may leave lots of oil and residue behind. That photo shows the water level slightly over the bottom of the drain plug so, assuming that the pan was level while the photo was taken, more would have drained out. B.S. example also. Someone just cut up a pan, poured in some water and wrote "see how much is left?"
In reality, neither method is going to get everything out. Anything left shouldn't be so bad as to cause any harm--that's what the filter takes care of. In some vehicles pumping may get more out, in others draining out the bottom will. But either way, not everything is coming out.
RSole wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:21 am
I used to have an extractor. I once sucked out the oil, then took out the drain plug. Lots more came out. I'll never do a suck job again.
LOL :lol:
Mar 31, 2008
201 posts
93 upvotes
Calgary
GT!! wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:08 pm
Why would you want another pair?
RFD effect, what if something happens to mine in the next 20 years!?
Jan 2, 2016
35 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
if any RFDer uses these on a Acura TL 2004-2008 please report back with your experience. I am looking to purchase these to do oil changes at home, but am skeptical that our cars may be too low to clear these (at stock height)
May 28, 2007
197 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga
boredstudent3 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 10:35 pm
These are great ramps, Parts Source had them for same price also last sale.

Use them for oil changes and it is quick!
Partsource belongs to CT.