• May 20th, 2017 6:56 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1170 posts
165 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
RSole wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:21 am
Dipsticks are never situated right over the lowest point of the pan, so sucking out the oil may leave lots of oil and residue behind. That photo shows the water level slightly over the bottom of the drain plug so, assuming that the pan was level while the photo was taken, more would have drained out. B.S. example also. Someone just cut up a pan, poured in some water and wrote "see how much is left?"

I used to have an extractor. I once sucked out the oil, then took out the drain plug. Lots more came out. I'll never do a suck job again.
Moving to redlightdeals.com
Jul 2, 2014
270 posts
34 upvotes
Maple, ON
The outdoor ramps at the dealerships are perfect. You just need a ladder to climb to pour the oil in.

Also, would it be wise to elevate the vehicle on 4 of these ramps? I figure as long as no one is closeby to kick one of the ramps by accident.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1134 posts
400 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
porchemasi wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:38 am
I was going to start doing this but heard that you dont get all the oil out/stuff at bottom?
It might leave slightly more oil in the car than a drain but it doesn't really matter. It's impossible to get all the oil out, 0.1L or whatever of old oil isn't gonna harm anything.

Next time I use my pump I think I'll also lift the car and open the drain bolt and see how much is left that the pump didn't get out. My guess is less than a cup.

As for crud and stuff, there shouldn't be any of that in your engine if you are changing your oil and filter on a regular basis. Extremely small particles would be suspended in the oil and would be pumped out with the oil if you pump it while it's still warm.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1134 posts
400 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
BikramjeetSGarcha wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:06 am
if any RFDer uses these on a Acura TL 2004-2008 please report back with your experience. I am looking to purchase these to do oil changes at home, but am skeptical that our cars may be too low to clear these (at stock height)
I have a 2009 TL and I use these ramps, it gets up them fine but the front does lightly scrape the ramps, not enough to break anything, just go really slow. I don't know if the 09 is the same height as the 3rd gen.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6598 posts
86 upvotes
Port Moody
BeapChastard wrote:
May 14th, 2017 10:11 pm
Good deal but I started doing my oil changes with a pump, it's quicker and cleaner and you don't have to go under the car.
problem is pump leaves more in imho, tried it , i personally use these stands/ramps and they are great , install a Fumoto oil drain valve and you are golden, very simple, oil change takes me no time at all
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
1398 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto
*Quick Update* (oil pan & funnels are added for your interest)

for those who interested, go get it before sale ends on 18th May, 2017...

oil pan is also on sale if anyone is looking for one.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plast ... p.html#srp
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/plast ... p.html#srp

various funnels are on sale too:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-re ... l?q=funnel
May 23, 2008
485 posts
76 upvotes
Gtown
I use the Rhinos to change the oil in my 2010 Mustang.
I have to be careful going up: slow and easy will do, gunning it will make the ramps fly out in front of the wheels. A part of the bumper is scraping the ramps, but it's not bad, the plastic in that part of the bumper is relatively soft.
The ramps are very strong, I suspect they're made of some sort of resin, I am not concerned they will break.
Actually if I think of it, each ramp had to only sustain about 500 kilos static load. Not that bad.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
1858 posts
380 upvotes
RSole wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:21 am
I'll never do a suck job again.
Perhaps try to blow it next time

Still don't understand the point of the pump. You still need to remove the oil filter under the car (in most cases) so you gotta get down there anyways.
Nov 20, 2009
558 posts
204 upvotes
Value Village
SomeOtherDude wrote:
May 16th, 2017 12:34 pm
Perhaps try to blow it next time

Still don't understand the point of the pump. You still need to remove the oil filter under the car (in most cases) so you gotta get down there anyways.
(Gulp). I wrote "I'll never do a suck job again." in a previous post, now I have to swallow my words. I just went to drain my load of old diesel oil and forgot that I have a full aluminum skid plate under the engine. That means removing 6 bolts, the awkward plate, then the petcock (drain plug).

Which is a good extractor? I was gonna get a Pela 6000 but read a bad review from NukeSkywalker at TDIClub and someone else who preferred one from Tractor Supply:
"Having read great things about the Pela system, I had high hopes. The first oil change went well, but the second one was long and time-consuming due to the air leaks. Also, I noticed the oil will leach through the container if you wait a couple of weeks before you dispose of the oil. The oil is impregnated into the plastic and cannot be removed, and will actually run down the side of the container and onto the shelf or floor. It's best to dispose of the used oil soon after the oil change.

The hand pump on the 6000 is another problem. Since it's not screwed in or otherwise permantly attached, you really need 2 hands to operate it, one to hold the pump housing and another to operate the piston. Since the tubing has no valve or clamp to stop flow, this makes it difficult to maintain a vacuum in the container while getting that last quart of oil removed. In my 2004 Jetta TDI, about a quart of oil resides in the bottom of the oil filter housing, and trying to extract that amount while trying to maintain a vacuum by operating the pump becomes a juggling act. A valve or clamp inline with the tubing would do wonders in this scenario.

All of my experience with the Pela has made me start to look at the small handheld pumps that are clamped to the battery terminals for power, and can pump the oil into any container for disposal. Or at least, consider replacing my Pela 6000 with one of the larger units that has an integrated hand pump that doesn't require 2 hands to operate."
Nov 20, 2009
558 posts
204 upvotes
Value Village
Those who believe in oil extractors should read this. I'm sure successful oil extraction may depend on the vehicle and the placement of the dipstick tube, Maybe I'll remove the skid plate after all after reading this post from Henrick at TDIClub:

"Top side oil changes are junk. I stand for what I speak. A few weeks ago I went to my favorite garage to have the oil changed early (only after 10k miles on the oil, not waiting till 18k miles "long-life service plan). The mechanic used a professional oil extractor and used compressed air available at the shop to "pressurize" that thing. I also asked to replace the drain plug with magnetic one too. So he did an oil extraction till there was nothing going through the tube and them raised the car to remove the drain plug. After he did that, I guess nearly 2 liters/quarts of oil came out. So much of the topside changes. "Never ever again, at least on my car" I said to myself and the mechanic. And yes, the extraction tube was inserted till the end, it wouldn't go any further."
Nov 29, 2011
151 posts
103 upvotes
CALGARY
The only topside oil change I do is in my Jet-ski Why? it has a hull. Most cars you have to get under to change the filter anyways. Also you can check other things Brakes, Tires, leaks, If old school lube job. If you're afraid of getting dirty this this an't the job for you.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1042 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
RSole wrote:
May 16th, 2017 3:28 pm
(Gulp). I wrote "I'll never do a suck job again." in a previous post, now I have to swallow my words. I just went to drain my load of old diesel oil and forgot that I have a full aluminum skid plate under the engine. That means removing 6 bolts, the awkward plate, then the petcock (drain plug).

All of my experience with the Pela has made me start to look at the small handheld pumps that are clamped to the battery terminals for power, and can pump the oil into any container for disposal. Or at least, consider replacing my Pela 6000 with one of the larger units that has an integrated hand pump that doesn't require 2 hands to operate."
LOL.............. i am dying...
Sep 1, 2014
372 posts
102 upvotes
Calgary
For what its worth i love my oil pump extractor, I've checked twice where i pump the oil first then open up the drain plug and it was bone dry. Im guessing the reason why some have oil left is because the tube isnt inserted all the way to reach the bottom of the pan. My oil filter is right behind the passenger side wheel so all I need to do is turn the tires to the right and I have access to the filter. Works great with a tranny fluid change as well.

I have the Mityvac MV7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3512 posts
433 upvotes
Kitchener
If only I had a spot to store the ramps...
This space is intentionally left blank.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel