• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2017 12:24 pm
Sep 25, 2001
550 posts
108 upvotes
Victoria, BC
hdub8817 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 11:05 am
Is your wrx 2016 or older? if yes I have to cancel my order then.
I have these ramps. I have a 2011 BMW 335is and it hits the spoiler going up. I cut a 2x10 that sits just in front of the ramp and works great going up and down. I am a big guy and can fit under to open the BMW to access the oil drain plug via access door. I also have a 2002 WRX and it has no problem going up the ramp (without hitting). I tested them with my 3/4 Diesel and no issues with the ramps. These are very sturdy and I trust them, just make sure you stop at the top and don't drive over them or half tire up.
Aug 12, 2010
174 posts
33 upvotes
NCR - RCN
Got a pair, thanks! :)

Not sure if the car will clear though... and it's 6" in the air. Will try this weekend to see if it's high enough for my work.
Nov 20, 2009
605 posts
245 upvotes
My Basement
Okay, I finally flushed my vital fluid. I have a set of the old metal ramps but I had to cut a set of pre-ramps out of 4 x 4 wooden posts to ease the transition in height to avoid the lower bumper/air deflector from hitting the metal ramps. They are about one meter long, and tapered at each end. The leading edge is tapered to match the angle of the metal ramp, upon which it rests, and the trailing edge is the lowest angle you can practically cut to allow easy mounting by the vehicle. Essentially it is a long, imperfect parallelogram.
These plastic ramps mentioned by the OP seem very nice and I sometimes wonder why the old metal ramps are not sold anymore. Lawsuits, collapse, crushing deaths?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21193 posts
2184 upvotes
GoPDemon1 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:12 am
That seems impossible on most cars to use 4 ramps
It's possible, but it's not really recommended. I've also seen ppl put half the car up on ramps and half up with a jack and then stands. It's not really ideal...might as well just put the whole car up on stands as it's usually not too hard.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
3937 posts
1759 upvotes
Kitchener
I should sell my set of ramps, never buying another car that requires oil, so not sure what else they're actually good for???
Last edited by IntrepidRT on May 16th, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
6959 posts
1047 upvotes
Sometimes I even wonder if it's worth it to get dirty for what I think it's 10-15$ saved? Indie mechanics do it for 40$ with tax, is about 46$. Regular oil when it's on sale is about 20-25$ (for 5L). Oil filter is about 7-10$.

DIY for mechanical stuff is definitely worth it as the labour is ~100$ per hour. but oil change is almost not worth it. I'll continue monitoring oil sales, get a more accurate saving compared to my 40$ indie mechanic. And they also do 30 point inspection so that's nice too.

And like I said in a previous post, please use safety, plenty of reviews where these type of cheap plastic ramps just crack. And having a jack under (you would need 2) is not full proof either. I would rather get standing jacks and then use steel rims as a safety underneath the tires.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1033 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto, ON
no ramp or jack is making me go under a damn car...my trusted mechanic charges me 15 dollars only.. i supply oil and filter amd crush washer..
I would rather skip 10 tim horton coffees every 6 months than going under a car....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5383 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:33 pm
It's possible, but it's not really recommended. I've also seen ppl put half the car up on ramps and half up with a jack and then stands. It's not really ideal...might as well just put the whole car up on stands as it's usually not too hard.
Might work with a 4X4, but my Hyundai's don't have enough clearance to place the ramp under the body for the back wheels.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21193 posts
2184 upvotes
Inno wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:42 pm
Might work with a 4X4, but my Hyundai's don't have enough clearance to place the ramp under the body for the back wheels.
Some people reverse the rear on to the ramps...of course even then you're only getting two ramps under. But, if one needs to work on something on the rear end only, the reverse up the ramps could work--just be careful the front end doesn't scrape anything doing that either.

Honestly ppl engage in all kinds of "tricks" to get a car lifted it seems, but usually if you have to ask the question, "should I be doing this?" lol the answer is just use a jack and stands instead.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5383 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:50 pm
Some people reverse the rear on to the ramps...of course even then you're only getting two ramps under. But, if one needs to work on something on the rear end only, the reverse up the ramps could work--just be careful the front end doesn't scrape anything doing that either.

Honestly ppl engage in all kinds of "tricks" to get a car lifted it seems, but usually if you have to ask the question, "should I be doing this?" lol the answer is just use a jack and stands instead.
I was referring to the suggestion of getting all four wheels up on ramps. Yes, I've backed up onto ramps with my daughter's Smart which has the engine in the rear.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1053 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:43 pm
Sometimes I even wonder if it's worth it to get dirty for what I think it's 10-15$ saved? Indie mechanics do it for 40$ with tax, is about 46$. Regular oil when it's on sale is about 20-25$ (for 5L). Oil filter is about 7-10$.

DIY for mechanical stuff is definitely worth it as the labour is ~100$ per hour. but oil change is almost not worth it. I'll continue monitoring oil sales, get a more accurate saving compared to my 40$ indie mechanic. And they also do 30 point inspection so that's nice too.

And like I said in a previous post, please use safety, plenty of reviews where these type of cheap plastic ramps just crack. And having a jack under (you would need 2) is not full proof either. I would rather get standing jacks and then use steel rims as a safety underneath the tires.
Yes but I also find going there waiting and calling for an apt is more annoying... I change oil for 3 cars and a bike.... so that 15 bucks adds up quickly...

I also help my parents change their oil so they dont get ripped off by BMW... oil changes are like $200-300.......... and they add all kinds of fee on top... I buy the oil, filter, DEF, from BMW itself so parts alone is about 120.
Jun 15, 2011
38389 posts
5519 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Do you guys know if cars with a lip, regardless of stock height or not, will scrape when going up or down?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
20700 posts
1763 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:43 pm

I pay $25 for 5L of synthetic, conventional is even less. My dealer charges $70, I pay $25 in oil and $8 for a filter, net savings of $37 a pop. Over 3 changes a year it's $111 per year, over 4 cars it's $444.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
6959 posts
1047 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
May 17th, 2017 11:54 am
I pay $25 for 5L of synthetic, conventional is even less. My dealer charges $70, I pay $25 in oil and $8 for a filter, net savings of $37 a pop. Over 3 changes a year it's $111 per year, over 4 cars it's $444.
Right but you use the dealer at 70$ cost. An indie mechanic does it just as good and they are generally 40$ (some charge even less, some more). Mine also does 30 point inspection which the dealers charge extra. (part of their ******** packages). For example, KIA charges a whooping 400$ for their "big inspection" which is literately just visual inspections. I showed my indie mechanic the car manual and he agreed to do the inspections and sign them off for the same price of the oil change. That's 360$ in savings. (for warranty purposes).

Of course I do the super easy jobs myself (changing the air and cabin filters). But those are 2 minute jobs vs ~ 30-60 minutes doing your own oil change. And the savings are significantly more than the oil change savings.

But anyway, we're straying away from the thread topic. Only thing about these, I would be extremely concerned trusting my life in some cheap plastic with so many reviews about them cracking.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20700 posts
1763 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:10 pm
Right but you use the dealer at 70$ cost. An indie mechanic does it just as good and they are generally 40$ (some charge even less, some more). Mine also does 30 point inspection which the dealers charge extra. (part of their ******** packages). For example, KIA charges a whooping 400$ for their "big inspection" which is literately just visual inspections. I showed my indie mechanic the car manual and he agreed to do the inspections and sign them off for the same price of the oil change. That's 360$ in savings. (for warranty purposes).

Of course I do the super easy jobs myself (changing the air and cabin filters). But those are 2 minute jobs vs ~ 30-60 minutes doing your own oil change. And the savings are significantly more than the oil change savings.

But anyway, we're straying away from the thread topic. Only thing about these, I would be extremely concerned trusting my life in some cheap plastic with so many reviews about them cracking.
If you know of any indie shops with a cheaper 0w20 change let me know. It's the only service that is remotely competitive.