Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Canadian Tire] - Car Ramps - $34.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2015 1:32 pm
Tags:
94 replies
Apr 15, 2013
17 posts
1 upvote
Yeah, I bought these back in May. They don't go on sale very often and had to bide my time - glad to see them on sale again.
Did my first oil change with them recently - worked really well for me.
Jun 8, 2011
142 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
They were on sale about a month ago. These ramps are awesome and provide perfect amount of clearance (2010 mazda3).

Also something to factor in. You do NOT need an oil filter wrench to tighten your oil filter. Only scenario where you'd need one is where the filter is very hard to access by hand.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1486 posts
567 upvotes
cpucrust wrote: Yeah, I bought these back in May. They don't go on sale very often and had to bide my time - glad to see them on sale again.
Did my first oil change with them recently - worked really well for me.
I 2nd this. They worked well under a compact sedan and small SUV. Side effect: makes your car jack and stands useless.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
cpucrust wrote: Did my first oil change with them recently - worked really well for me.
Apollo74 wrote: These ramps are awesome and provide perfect amount of clearance (2010 mazda3).
Really? According to the Q&A, they only raise by 9.75".

I don't remember how high my jacks raised my car, but I was at the highest level and I had very little room to deal with the plastic cover under the engine. With my car, I need to remove that to access the oil plug and filter.

Then again, considering I do an oil change every 3 months on average (Two cars, every 6 months), these ramps interest me.
Apollo74 wrote: Also something to factor in. You do NOT need an oil filter wrench to tighten your oil filter. Only scenario where you'd need one is where the filter is very hard to access by hand.
How is that something to factor in with the ramp purchase?
beeknight wrote: Side effect: makes your car jack and stands useless.
Tire change/rotate & brake job. You'll always need a jack and stands.
Jun 8, 2011
142 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
alkizmo wrote: Really? According to the Q&A, they only raise by 9.75".

I don't remember how high my jacks raised my car, but I was at the highest level and I had very little room to deal with the plastic cover under the engine. With my car, I need to remove that to access the oil plug and filter.

Then again, considering I do an oil change every 3 months on average (Two cars, every 6 months), these ramps interest me.

How is that something to factor in with the ramp purchase?

Tire change/rotate & brake job. You'll always need a jack and stands.
Just thought I would throw that in there because most people who are looking into buying these ramps are attempting to do an oil change for the first time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6949 posts
7522 upvotes
BC
Apollo74 wrote: Just thought I would throw that in there because most people who are looking into buying these ramps are attempting to do an oil change for the first time.
My 2014 Elantra's first oil change required a pipe wrench to get the oil filter loose.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
4278 posts
3753 upvotes
These go on sale about every 5-6 weeks for $35, and occasionally for $30. Anyone paying more than that for these has fallen into the obvious CT price trap.
Apr 4, 2012
313 posts
206 upvotes
Laval, Que
I bought this set in the early summer for the same price. Makes oil change much easier but I still would NEVER go under a car without proper jack stands in place.

beeknight wrote: I 2nd this. They worked well under a compact sedan and small SUV. Side effect: makes your car jack and stands useless.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2294 posts
719 upvotes
Nova Scotia
gophia wrote: I bought this set in the early summer for the same price. Makes oil change much easier but I still would NEVER go under a car without proper jack stands in place.
What is the fear? Do you think the plastic could be crushed by the weight of the vehicle or that it may slip off the ramps?
Apr 4, 2012
313 posts
206 upvotes
Laval, Que
I should have taken a photo, cause when my CRV was up on the ramp, the front plastic pillars warped under the load.

jmatheson64 wrote: What is the fear? Do you think the plastic could be crushed by the weight of the vehicle or that it may slip off the ramps?
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Apollo74 wrote: Just thought I would throw that in there because most people who are looking into buying these ramps are attempting to do an oil change for the first time.
They better buy a fitting oil filter cap instead of raising their car and realizing that they will need a wrench after all.

A matching cap is only around 7$ and makes the job a lot easier. It's a good investment.

Universal wrenches are crap though (Unless you buy an expensive model for car mechanics).
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1147 posts
389 upvotes
Kitchener
I have slight slope on my driveway - they fly forward when I'm backing out off them :( Still use them for last 5 years :)
Слава Україні!
Nov 10, 2013
259 posts
228 upvotes
this is not proper imo, during oil change you want to check the wheel movements, any movement in the wheel is bad.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Rakkaus wrote: this is not proper imo, during oil change you want to check the wheel movements, any movement in the wheel is bad.
You mean the steering? Like if the wheels can change alignment by pushing them?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1486 posts
567 upvotes
Zhopa wrote: I have slight slope on my driveway - they fly forward when I'm backing out off them :( Still use them for last 5 years :)
I had the same issue -- a towel underneath the high end of the ramp stops the slipping.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1486 posts
567 upvotes
gophia wrote: I bought this set in the early summer for the same price. Makes oil change much easier but I still would NEVER go under a car without proper jack stands in place.
Hmm.. good point. Where do you set up the stands while the car is on the ramp?

My stands are collecting dust but they can be a good insurance policy if I know where to put them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)