Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

CTC & HD - Chamberlain 3/4 HP Belt Garage Door Opener $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 6:54 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto

CTC & HD - Chamberlain 3/4 HP Belt Garage Door Opener $199.99

Deal Link:
Price:
$199.99
Expiry:
November 26, 2017
For my 1000th post here is a GREAT DEAL for a solid machine.
3/4HP belt drive with a DC motor battery backup. You can link it up to MyQ if you buy the separate adapter.
EDIT: Rexall GC deal is dead.

EDIT: Additionally, Home Depot has a similar opener but with WIFI built in for $199. Add 2% Ebates cash back if you order online. You do not get the battery back up with the Home Depot model. THE HOME DEPOT DEAL ENDS ON THE 29TH
Home Depot link here: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.34-h ... 37133.html
It makes more sense to use the $10 off Home Depot coupon code for email sign up here instead of ebates https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/custom ... ||11365101|
if you are really cheap, you could do ebates for one and coupon for the other.
__________________________________________________________________________________
So in short, if you have a garage with no separate entrance into your house like a town house, or if you get frequent power outages, the battery back up is a good option.
You can always add the Chamberlain internet Gateway to get internet connectivity to this model.

If you want WiFi right out of the box, the HD deal is better. There is no need for the internet gateway to connect to the internet, HOWEVER if you have a poor WiFi signal in your garage, you may want to reconsider purchasing the built in WiFi model. With this model you can buy a separate key release for your garage door to open it in case of power failure.

IMHO If you have two garage doors and plan to buy two openers, it makes far more sense to buy one of each retailers versions. You should only need to control one door with wifi and the other would have battery back up. You get the best of both worlds. The opener colors will not match, however the remotes can all be programmed together. Also if you decide to want internet connectivity for both, buy the gateway and you are set. you will still have one unit with a battery back up.

gdo.JPG
HD.JPG
Last edited by DIrty-D on Nov 22nd, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 11 times in total.
134 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6560 posts
10849 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
Congrats on 1000th post!

Why would you need a separate adapter? It has MyQ built in...

There is also this similar one at Home Depot on sale starting tomorrow. (but as you posted, you can buy discounted Cdn Tire cards, making buying from CT cheaper)

Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2597 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
pathfinder35 wrote: Congrats on 1000th post!

There is also this similar one at Home Depot on sale starting tomorrow. (but as you posted, you can buy discounted Cdn Tire cards, making buying from CT cheaper)

I don't think this model comes with battery back up
Mar 28, 2011
229 posts
210 upvotes
Local Ontarian Scotl…
********Includes: A battery backup, two 3 button remote controls, wireless keypad*********
Mar 14, 2006
371 posts
193 upvotes
The Canadian Tire one does not have built in Wi-Fi. It is MyQ ready which means you would need to buy the separate adaptor in order to use your phone to control the garage door opener. If you read the Q&A section on the website, it is answered and they indicate that it does not include the internet gateway.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/chamb ... #Questions

The one at Home Depot has Wi-Fi built in so the MyQ adaptor is not required. However, it does not come with a backup battery like the Canadian Tire one.

Link to the Home Depot garage door opener can be found Here
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2005
1274 posts
633 upvotes
pathfinder35 wrote: Congrats on 1000th post!

Despite the totally misleading content on CDN tire website as well as the very confusing literature regarding myQ, my understanding (which stands to be corrected) is:
- a myQ enabled opener like the one in OP needs an internet gateway (is not included) to use smart phone functionality. This is based on specs on the site and reviews. Haven't checked the box though
- a wifi myq opener like the one linked here from home Depot does not need extra internet gateway functionality to connect to smart phone . It's built in
- the following opener from lowes on sale for $229 (if LAR card additional 15%off today) comes with internet gateway (not mentioned specifically but it says so on the box).
https://www.lowes.ca/garage-door-opener ... erm=652189
Mar 7, 2011
996 posts
1008 upvotes
theshowman wrote: Despite the totally misleading content on CDN tire website as well as the very confusing literature regarding myQ, my understanding (which stands to be corrected) is:
- a myQ enabled opener like the one in OP needs an internet gateway (is not included) to use smart phone functionality. This is based on specs on the site and reviews. Haven't checked the box though
- a wifi myq opener like the one linked here from home Depot does not need extra internet gateway functionality to connect to smart phone . It's built in
- the following opener from lowes on sale for $229 (if LAR card additional 15%off today) comes with internet gateway (not mentioned specifically but it says so on the box).
https://www.lowes.ca/garage-door-opener ... erm=652189
is that one from home depot available? Im in for $200
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
tunda11 wrote: is that one from home depot available? Im in for $200
The one he linked is chain driven.
Feb 4, 2017
137 posts
33 upvotes
whats the purpose of battery backup in Garage door opener? i need to buy one but i am confused with all these options....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
bhushh009 wrote: whats the purpose of battery backup in Garage door opener? i need to buy one but i am confused with all these options....
Allows you to open your garage door if there's a power outage.
Only useful of you have no other access to the inside of the garage.
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
243 upvotes
tunda11 wrote: is that one from home depot available? Im in for $200
Yes, on sale tomorrow, MyQ enabled (i.e., no need to buy a Chamberlain internet gateway), belt (not chain), DC motor, etc.
Jun 24, 2012
253 posts
164 upvotes
Hamilton
psudolam wrote: Yes, on sale tomorrow, MyQ enabled (i.e., no need to buy a Chamberlain internet gateway), belt (not chain), DC motor, etc.
Can it be made to work with an existing chain setup?
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
243 upvotes
Richhy wrote: Can it be made to work with an existing chain setup?
I dont know. But why would u use the chain, when the Chamberlain belt is warranted for life, and it is quieter than chain.
Last edited by psudolam on Nov 22nd, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4267 posts
5183 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Richhy wrote: Can it be made to work with an existing chain setup?
Not easily, unless you start McGyvering the motor sprocket, etc.. I don't see the point.. It comes with the motor, belt, belt riding bar, and all the new accessories.
And these DC motors are impressively QUIET.. My Liftmaster is only about 6 or so years old, great and still works. However I really like how quiet these new ones are. Installed one in sisters house and was amazed.
Last edited by Emporium on Nov 22nd, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 24, 2012
253 posts
164 upvotes
Hamilton
Emporium wrote: Not easily, unless you start McGyvering the motor sprocket, etc.. I don't see the point.. It comes with the motor, belt, belt riding bar, and all the new accessories.
And these DC motors are impressively QUIET.. My Liftmaster is only about 6 or so years old, great and still works. However I really like how quiet these new ones are. Installed one in sisters house and was amazed.
Oh I didn't realize it came with the belt and riding bar as well, good to know.
Apr 26, 2005
698 posts
298 upvotes
Richmond
to sum up:

CanadianTire 199 - 10% off Giftcard deal
Missing integrated wifi

Homedeport 199
Missing battery Backup

Lowes 229
Chain drive. No battery.

I believe if you really need the battery backup function, CT's deal is better.
I personally perfer HD's version
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4267 posts
5183 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Richhy wrote: Oh I didn't realize it came with the belt and riding bar as well, good to know.
I was skeptical about belt drive in the beginning also, but it comes with lifetime warranty on belt (as mentioned above). And when you realize that if the door springs are in good shape, and door is properly balanced, the opener should barely be stressing. The majority of the work is (or at least should be) handled by the springs. I've seen some garage doors, that if you disconnect the motor, and manually lift the door to the half way point up, it will want to slam closed... That is TOTALLY wrong.. On a perfectly balanced system, it should be able to sit at roughly the halfway point (1/3 to halfway) without any tenancy of opening or closing. If it can't, the door needs to be balanced.

PS: If you don't know what you are doing, please NEVER try to adjust springs on your own. They have enough energy to kill you. Takes a split second for an accident to happen with some of the powerful springs. And some older garage doors, don't even have safety cables on side mount springs, so if they snap, good luck... And overhead torsion style springs you need to be very cautious.
raid-5 wrote: to sum up:

CanadianTire 199 - 10% off Giftcard deal
Missing integrated wifi

Homedeport 199
Missing battery Backup

Lowes 229
Chain drive. No battery.

I believe if you really need the battery backup function, CT's deal is better.
I personally perfer HD's version
Well, it all depends also where you live. Here in QC, the number of random power outages is getting questionable in the last few years. For sure, if you have no other access into garage, it is a no brainer, get the battery backup. However, even if you have access from inside, during a power failure, it is a serious pain in the @ss to have to go inside, unclip the opener, open the door, get the car out of the garage, and then you may need to close the door from the inside again, in order to lock from the inside [assuming you have locks - many new installations don't] (since you may not be able to clip the opener clip on the inside due to pressure applied to keep door down. Then when power comes back, you need to remember to unlock the door, before using the garage door opener again, as to not rip the locks to shreds.

Personally, I think the WiFi access is nice, but far from a "need". The backup power, is a lot more critical in my opinion. But to each his/her own. We are in the age of gadgets, so everyone has their own vices and "needs" :)
Last edited by Emporium on Nov 22nd, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
2458 posts
916 upvotes
Toronto
Any recommendations for an installer. In Milton. Pm please.
Oct 29, 2017
19 posts
12 upvotes
Brampton
CT is not missing wifi, this is new unit where myq is built in same as lowe's deal. I Picked 2 when lowe's had a deal for 249 with additional 15% off 400. Adding ebates, came down to 210 per unit. But with Battery backup CT deal is better.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
Emporium wrote: I was skeptical about belt drive in the beginning also, but it comes with lifetime warranty on belt (as mentioned above). And when you realize that if the door springs are in good shape, and door is properly balanced, the opener should barely be stressing. The majority of the work is (or at least should be) handled by the springs. I've seen some garage doors, that if you disconnect the motor, and manually lift the door to the half way point up, it will want to slam closed... That is TOTALLY wrong.. On a perfectly balanced system, it should be able to sit at roughly the halfway point (1/3 to halfway) without any tenancy of opening or closing. If it can't, the door needs to be balanced.

PS: If you don't know what you are doing, please NEVER try to adjust springs on your own. They have enough energy to kill you. Takes a split second for an accident to happen with some of the powerful springs. And some older garage doors, don't even have safety cables on side mount springs, so if they snap, good luck... And overhead torsion style springs you need to be very cautious.

Well, it all depends also where you live. Here in QC, the number of random power outages is getting questionable in the last few years. For sure, if you have no other access into garage, it is a no brainer, get the battery backup. However, even if you have access from inside, during a power failure, it is a serious pain in the @ss to have to go inside, unclip the opener, open the door, get the car out of the garage, and then you may need to close the door from the inside again, in order to lock from the inside [assuming you have locks - many new installations don't] (since you may not be able to clip the opener clip on the inside due to pressure applied to keep door down. Then when power comes back, you need to remember to unlock the door, before using the garage door opener again, as to not rip the locks to shreds.

Personally, I think the WiFi access is nice, but far from a "need". The backup power, is a lot more critical in my opinion. But to each his/her own. We are in the age of gadgets, so everyone has their own vices and "needs" :)
Easier solution, is a quick release key.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.quic ... 18727.html

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)