Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Canadian Tire Commuter Auto Safety Kit $17.99 (with 1 year free Roadside Assistance)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2012 8:49 am
Mar 18, 2006
953 posts
119 upvotes
BC
AnnV11 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 12:32 am
If it is the silver (or even the gold) package, you get 1 free oil change too, which definitely bumps the value of this kit. Now that's not to say I'm recommending you ever let CT put your car on the lift...

(my experience has been that every time I've had CT do any work, even something as minor as an oil change, something mysteriously fails about a week later and I have to take it back for service. Not sayin' they're sabotaging my car, just that it's a mighty profitable coincidence for them. After the 4th time, I finally stopped taking my car to CT.)

But $18 for the kit and roadside assistance including an oil change is a great deal!

Edit: PS - has anyone looked at the price structure of their pay per use service?! It's $24 for the year, but a single service call costs $45 = $69 if you use it even once. The silver package is $70! Based on that, why even offer the pay per use version?
For people who need it 0-1 times a year?

In the first two years of driving, I locked my keys in my truck 3 times. In the last 8 years, none. But I've need a tire fixed, and battery boosted twice. So 3 times in 8 years.

Basically, its like airline cancellation insurance. It just saves you on paying higher fees IF you need it.
Nov 25, 2007
135 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
wewewetwet wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 4:07 pm
Canadian Tire Commuter Auto Safety Kit comes with 1 year free Roadside Assistance

Begins this Friday Reg. $29.99 --> $17.99 ( Nov 30th - Dec 6th )

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 4136431547
Thanks! But where did you see the price $17.99? I look at this week's GTA flyer(Nov 30 - Dec 6), but couldn't find this safety kit.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
267 upvotes
Kitchener
raptorsfans wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 9:17 am
Thanks! But where did you see the price $17.99? I look at this week's GTA flyer(Nov 30 - Dec 6), but couldn't find this safety kit.
+1

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1322 posts
433 upvotes
Kanata, ON
raptorsfans wrote:
look30 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 9:51 am
+1
Same in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
2002 posts
487 upvotes
Calgary
raptorsfans wrote:
No such sale in the Calgary flyer either.
Banned
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
114 upvotes
This doesn't
T comes with the oil change coupon does it?
Aug 31, 2009
305 posts
206 upvotes
BC
highly doubt the free oil change comes with this - they'd be insane to sell an $18 kit with a $40 oil change included and a $70 annual roadside membership. Makes me think that the roadside it comes with could be less than the silver package.
Banned
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
114 upvotes
jslwc wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 12:08 pm
highly doubt the free oil change comes with this - they'd be insane to sell an $18 kit with a $40 oil change included and a $70 annual roadside membership. Makes me think that the roadside it comes with could be less than the silver package.
Someone please confirm?
Aug 31, 2009
305 posts
206 upvotes
BC
harley1974 wrote:
May 25th, 2012 8:34 am
I called the Canadian Tire Roadside customer service about this. They said that the plan is not one of the Gold / Silver / On-demand plans, but is one set up for the emergency kit only. This is what I was told:
- 3 Service calls from below list.
- Tow to nearest CT within 100km. Likely nearest to breakdown. Not great needing to go to CT, but passable (IMHO) for only $18/year.
- Battery boost
- Lockout service
- Tire change with your spare. No puncture repair or sealant goop. If no spare, then they can tow you to CT.
- NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL IN THE USA
- Gas delivery

I'm wasn't convinced that the following was correct, since she hesitated, so be aware that YMMV:
- Voucher must be activated within 30 days, and is good for one year after activation. The means that we can't buy 5 and have 5 years of coverage by redeeming one a year.
- Unless the above is based on your receipt date, I can't see how this could be enforced.
- I am likely to buy two of the basic sets for our two cars, and maybe buy more if the redeeming process looks like it could be extended for more years.

Hope this helps.
This is from the May 2012 thread that oldskool75 mentioned...
Aug 31, 2009
305 posts
206 upvotes
BC
Someone else in the May 2012 thread said you could upgrade to Gold for $50 and that upgrade comes with an oil change coupon - this would have to be confirmed again though I imagine.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1586 posts
278 upvotes
Aurora
Flux wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 5:26 pm
I've had an emergency kit in my car for 10+ years. Guess it's time to replace it
I've been buying this kit (or similar) for years for each of my vehicles.
Free roadside assistance every year, plus have a couple kits lying around the house, and give the extras away at Christmas. Win/win/win.

cfrank73 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 5:36 pm
Seems to me the roadside assistance package is approximately the same as the CT Silver package.

One thing to note that I lost out on last time - you need to call and authorize it within something like 7 days from purchase (sorry, I can't remember the details per se) just be sure to open it and review the small print.

The kit itself is decent, but a great deal with the roadside (assuming you activate it in time)
Every single time I called they simply asked date of purchase. I never had to send in any proof. So if you bought it and missed the cutoff date I'd still call and give a different date.

If some people are thinking of calling for the free roadside assistance without actually purchasing the kit... we'll you're scum. haha
Jan 11, 2010
452 posts
29 upvotes
Towed to the nearest Canadian Tire service centre.

Last place I want work done on my car.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
1907 posts
525 upvotes
Gweedz wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 12:52 pm
I've been buying this kit (or similar) for years for each of my vehicles.
Free roadside assistance every year, plus have a couple kits lying around the house, and give the extras away at Christmas. Win/win/win.

Every single time I called they simply asked date of purchase. I never had to send in any proof. So if you bought it and missed the cutoff date I'd still call and give a different date.

If some people are thinking of calling for the free roadside assistance without actually purchasing the kit... we'll you're scum. haha
If you try the last opion (is it really even an option??) then be preparred that the providers can (and do on occasion) ask to see the receipt that is to be stapled to the inside of this roadside pamphlet.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
267 upvotes
Kitchener
luv_gr8_deals wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 12:59 pm
Towed to the nearest Canadian Tire service centre.

Last place I want work done on my car.
Better than the side of a road .....

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
× < >