Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Canadian Tire Commuter Auto Safety Kit $17.99 (with 1 year free Roadside Assistance)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2012 8:49 am
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3534 posts
413 upvotes
Regina
where do i sign up for the assistance?
Nov 29, 2012
1 posts
EAST YORK
wewewetwet wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 4:07 pm
Canadian Tire Commuter Auto Safety Kit comes with 1 year free Roadside Assistance

Begins this Friday Reg. $29.99 --> $17.99 ( Nov 30th - Dec 6th -->extended to Dec 13th )

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 4136431547

One of the members here was nice enough to share a fine print on the kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-vaeRdsP5qpA/UJ_Tw ... 25255D.jpg

Thanks! Bought one today but with 2 services a year and tow for 50km
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1716 posts
139 upvotes
North
I find it interesting that none of the so called 'safety' kit includes some sort of traction aids like ...

Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
1907 posts
525 upvotes
alowe wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 1:51 pm
Premium Auto Safety Kit Reg. $60 / Sale $36:
The picture of the previous kit mostly matches my memory of the contents tag on the Premium Kit. Includes Roadside Assistance with two 50 km tows to Can Tire.
Same contents as Roadside Assistance kit, with:
-Shovel
-Tire gauge
-Air compressor
-Duct tape
-Larger plastic ties
-Tool kit with 2-ended screwdriver, mini flashlight
-Large safety triangle instead of the 2 piece one in the smaller kits
-60 piece first aid kit
(I can't remember the multi-tool, ice scraper & snow brush)

I bought the Premium kit last night but haven't rifled through it yet. I figured the portable air compressor alone was worth upgrading as the cheapest one I saw on Canadian Tire's shelves was $20. I would've settled for the Commuter kit but my drive home for Christmas will be 1000 km each direction. Maybe I should also grab some snow traction grips just in case...
Did you not use the $5.00 off coupon from their website for the Preminum Kit?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1586 posts
278 upvotes
Aurora
pulsar wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 10:10 am
These are probably the cheapest of the cheap booster cables. Not all booster cables are created equal. I've seen some cheap cables which couldn't get the job done whereas my own thicker lower gauge cables did. The thinner cheaper cables just can't carry enough amperage to get the job done.
They are cheap (inexpensive) and thin, but are perfectly fine for the vast majority of cars out there. In desperation I've used these to boost a class 8 truck with an 8D battery. They got hot as hell and even melted the plastic handle a bit, but they did the job. For regular cars they should last for years.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1716 posts
139 upvotes
North
jslwc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 1:12 pm
There's a $5 coupon for the Premium kit, which brings it down to $31. $13 more than the commuter kit that is on sale for $18 this week. May not be a bad idea to get the premium kit if it comes with enough extra goodies - looks like an air compressor and shovel are two of the things that would be above and beyond the $18 kit.

Coupon:
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/Canad ... fety_enpdf

Premium:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

Commuter:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en
x2plyx wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 5:26 pm
Tempted for the booster cables alone, just to buy a single pair of them is about the same price (actually more @ CT) + you'd get all these extras besides.
pulsar wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 10:10 am
These are probably the cheapest of the cheap booster cables. Not all booster cables are created equal. I've seen some cheap cables which couldn't get the job done whereas my own thicker lower gauge cables did. The thinner cheaper cables just can't carry enough amperage to get the job done.
flyer12 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 7:59 am
Did you not use the $5.00 off coupon from their website for the Preminum Kit?
It worked for me.
Gweedz wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 8:37 am
They are cheap (inexpensive) and thin, but are perfectly fine for the vast majority of cars out there. In desperation I've used these to boost a class 8 truck with an 8D battery. They got hot as hell and even melted the plastic handle a bit, but they did the job. For regular cars they should last for years.

Note that the 10 gauge booster cables are only 8ft long. It should be fine for cars and 'light' trucks.

Deal Addict
May 20, 2002
2010 posts
15 upvotes
Does CT provide a gift receipt? Is a gift receipt accepted for verification purposes?

I paid for this with the CT Options MasterCard to get the 5% back in CT Money until December 20, which instantly shows on the receipt. Did anybody else get a receipt where the prices did not get printed (only the last number got printed)? :confused: Has CT ever crookedly refuse to honour a receipt where they didn't print the prices?

The store I went to had a Match-It Challenge promotion with touchscreens. Were the prizes any good, e.g., $10 off coupon at Mark's?
flyer12 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 1:12 pm
be preparred that the providers can (and do on occasion) ask to see the receipt that is to be stapled to the inside of this roadside pamphlet.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
5823 posts
1726 upvotes
Trying to activate the Canadian Tire plan that comes with the kit is such a pain. Not surprised at the sub-par phone service.

First call, they hung up within 5 seconds.

Second call, they asked for the # of pieces in the kit and the cost of the kit (responded with $17.99 and 47-piece commuter auto kit), to which they said that they couldn't find this kit but they said they could activate it. *Click* - they hung up.

Okay, revised strategy: Tell them the retail price is $29.99 instead of giving the $17.99 sale price for CT.

Third call was successful, short and easy so YMMV depending on rep. Be prepared to spend 1+ hours trying to just activate your plan if you have bad luck with reps. They'll also try to upsell you to the more expensive non-free plans.
Internet Movie Car Database (Contributions) - http://imcdb.org/movies.php?contrib=Soro
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1211 posts
170 upvotes
Aurora, ON
as per small print snapshot from the first post, free towing service does not cover cars that require flatbed or dolly wheels.

so, you're SOL if:
- drive a Subaru or any other car with permanent AWD
- get into an accident that makes your car not towable
Nov 26, 2003
560 posts
54 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 2:07 pm
Trying to activate the Canadian Tire plan that comes with the kit is such a pain. Not surprised at the sub-par phone service.

First call, they hung up within 5 seconds.

Second call, they asked for the # of pieces in the kit and the cost of the kit (responded with $17.99 and 47-piece commuter auto kit), to which they said that they couldn't find this kit but they said they could activate it. *Click* - they hung up.

Okay, revised strategy: Tell them the retail price is $29.99 instead of giving the $17.99 sale price for CT.

Third call was successful, short and easy so YMMV depending on rep. Be prepared to spend 1+ hours trying to just activate your plan if you have bad luck with reps. They'll also try to upsell you to the more expensive non-free plans.
Did they ask for any kind of proof of purchase? Did they mention what you could be asked to produce should you call for service in the future such as keeping a copy of your receipt in your car, etc?
Nov 5, 2010
89 posts
56 upvotes
LarryLat wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 2:54 pm

so, you're SOL if:
Just curious...Isn't this covered by your auto insurance already?!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1840 posts
80 upvotes
LarryLat wrote:
so, you're SOL if:
What's wrong with neutral gear?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
5823 posts
1726 upvotes
Lukus wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 3:06 pm
Did they ask for any kind of proof of purchase? Did they mention what you could be asked to produce should you call for service in the future such as keeping a copy of your receipt in your car, etc?
Nope. Name, address, etc.

Part of me wonders if it was even activated at all.
myapple wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 3:09 pm
What's wrong with neutral gear?
Only manual Subaru's should be towed in neutral with all 4 wheels on the ground.

It's bad, because it damages the AWD system if only two of the four wheels are spinning
Internet Movie Car Database (Contributions) - http://imcdb.org/movies.php?contrib=Soro
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1586 posts
278 upvotes
Aurora
LarryLat wrote:
as per small print snapshot from the first post, free towing service does not cover cars that require flatbed or dolly wheels.

so, you're SOL if:
I'm sure the tow truck driver will ignore this if it means he gets the job, or worse comes to worse you pay him $30 to use the dollies, but the rest of the tow is free.
× < >