[Canadian Tire] [CT] Mastercraft 128 Piece Socket Set *$40* Ends Sunday Aug 13

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 2:39 pm
Jun 25, 2009
975 posts
200 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:56 pm
It's just a BS marketing line that really has no logic at all. Others that come to mind - Coors saying their beer is "cold certified" (what does that even mean?) and Jeep calling their vehicles "trail rated" (a marketing term that they created for their vehicles only)

I hate marketing/advertising.

replace the word "mastercrap" with any other brand that has outsourced its labour to China and the statement holds true.
The country is not the issue, it's the "cheap" part, meaning low quality. Many high quality items are produced in China, those tools are not some of them.

When they were made in the usa, the quality was much better.
Jan 8, 2017
11 posts
8 upvotes
Does the quality really matter on a 40$ socket set? I'm a professional tech and I'd buy these every single time over a "high quality" snap on set that's 10x the price for a 1/4 of the tools. "Quality" for a socket is a placebo, they all turn the same nut.
Dec 26, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks OP. Popped into CT earlier today and picked up this set, you always need these tools. It looks like they have several other kits from Mastercraft on sale as well. I also picked up a screwdriver set for $10 and both are a great deal in my opinion. The screwdrivers have magnetic tips which is helpful and the 128 piece kit has a lot of goodies for the price. Played with the ratchet and sockets out of the box, seemed like decent quality and what you'd expect from CT mastercraft products. I mean, if you're doing basic stuff it will definitely serve its purpose but for something more heavy duty you may need an impact set.
Images
  • IMG_7497.JPG
  • IMG_7504.JPG
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1091 posts
168 upvotes
froesesp wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:52 pm
It's not tested, its cheap Chinese junk with a lifetime warranty, mastercrap was good before it went to china.
froesesp wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:43 pm
I have many tools from before and after, and there is a big quality difference, thanks though.
When did they switch to china? It's been chinese stuff for as long as I can remember.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
2221 posts
1350 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:43 pm
Great point.
I'd really like an explanation as to how Canadian Tire quantifies what Life in Canada actually is, and the methodology they use in their testing. Does a socket set and an electric kettle have the same mosquito repellency? Is it possible to shovel you driveway with either item?
Enquiring minds want to know!
Joe blow is drinking Tims coffee while trying to use these on his car. Car doesn't get fixed, he takes it to Canadian tire shop and gets hit with high bill and additional unnecessary repairs.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1548 posts
531 upvotes
KINGSTON
TransporterSD wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:49 pm
Joe blow is drinking Tims coffee while trying to use these on his car. Car doesn't get fixed, he takes it to Canadian tire shop and gets hit with high bill and additional unnecessary repairs.
There ya go. Now that makes sense!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1548 posts
531 upvotes
KINGSTON
UnexpectedDeal wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:23 pm
Does the quality really matter on a 40$ socket set? I'm a professional tech and I'd buy these every single time over a "high quality" snap on set that's 10x the price for a 1/4 of the tools. "Quality" for a socket is a placebo, they all turn the same nut.
Snap On gets delivered to your job site in a truck, so that alone gives you bragging rights worthy of ten times the price. Also, the Snap On sockets I own have such a smugness about them that they intimidate even the most stubborn bolts, to the point where they literally vibrate loose in fear.Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Mar 7, 2017
36 posts
15 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
The Husky deal that is currently on at HD is a much better value, coming from someone who has followed these closely for a while. However if you really need the plastic carrying case, I can understand the appeal of these.
Jun 24, 2011
818 posts
88 upvotes
MARKHAM
Save your money for the black chrome Stanley kit.
The regular mastercraft kits are rubbish, broke so many of their tools...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5291 posts
1089 upvotes
My beef is how CT and others stuff their socket sets with a ton of screwdriver bits worth 25 cents ea to up their "piece set" count.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1548 posts
531 upvotes
KINGSTON
plymouthhater wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 7:20 am
My beef is how CT and others stuff their socket sets with a ton of screwdriver bits worth 25 cents ea to up their "piece set" count.
That, and the Allen keys. I have dozens of those things kicking round.
I'd also like it they had all metric or all SAE sets. Of course, that's part of the strategy. Need a deep 16mm? Off you go to CT to buy one for $5....
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2482 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
DealFixation wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:47 am
The Husky deal that is currently on at HD is a much better value, coming from someone who has followed these closely for a while. However if you really need the plastic carrying case, I can understand the appeal of these.
Yeah I thought the same. Can't go wrong with a $20 kit.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
1302 posts
221 upvotes
Any 3/4" drive sockets in this set?