• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2013 4:45 pm
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
405 posts
82 upvotes
Kelowna

Canadian Tire doesn't allow negative review

After purchasing a product from Canadian Tire with two 5-star reviews on their website, I wanted to leave my own feedback when the product turned out to be of really poor quality. As it turns out, you cannot leave negative reviews as the Canadian Tire's policy is to reject it and have you call their Customer Service team to sort out the problem offline. I tried submitting the review twice and both times it was rejected.

The product in question is the Guy Fieri Non-Slip Cutting Board.

And the review I submitted:

[QUOTE]These cutting boards are terrible. I bought two and both were in the garbage within 30 days.

Sure they look good at first, but things start going downhill the moment you remove the plastic wrap. Hidden behind the paper is a sticker saying that you can't run them through the dishwasher and no cutting on the design side.

I should have returned them at this point, but I decided I could live with these limitations. What a mistake. After only a few times hand cleaning in the sink, I noticed they started to warp. At first it wasn't bad, but eventually they became so warped it was dangerous to chop items on as sometimes they would slip.

I continued using them figuring I should at least get some use out of them. After a few more cleanings the white plastic separated from the insides which turned out to be particle board! Honestly, I would highly recommend you spend a little more money and buy something else.[/QUOTE]

And Canadian Tire's response:

[QUOTE]Sorry,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review/question/answer to CanadianTire.ca. Unfortunately, we cannot publish your content as it did not meet our Terms & Conditions and/or Review Guidelines that are posted online. Further details are available below:

The health and safety of our customers is of the utmost importance to Canadian Tire. We work hard to ensure that our products are compliant with legislative and consumer regulations. If you have a safety concern about a product from Canadian Tire, please contact our Customer Service Representatives by calling 1-800-387-8803. They are available to assist you Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (EST) and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST). Please know that any product concern you have reported to us will go through a thorough investigation as part of our standard business process.
Please re-submit your content so that it adheres to our Review Guidelines. Thank you for visiting CanadianTire.ca![/QUOTE]

I suppose they can run their website any way they like, but they've lost me as a customer as a result. I already had a fairly low opinion of this retailer and now I realize I can't even trust the reviews posted online.

Update: The review was approved with the removal of the "dangerous" wording.
23 replies
Aug 12, 2010
489 posts
271 upvotes
drlarsen wrote:
Dec 8th, 2013 6:04 pm
After purchasing a product from Canadian Tire with two 5-star reviews on their website, I wanted to leave my own feedback when the product turned out to be of really poor quality. As it turns out, you cannot leave negative reviews as the Canadian Tire's policy is to reject it and have you call their Customer Service team to sort out the problem offline. I tried submitting the review twice and both times it was rejected.
I made a negative post on DX.com for a product that was $20 of utter crap....never saw the light of day
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1097 upvotes
[QUOTE]These cutting boards are terrible. I bought two and both were in the garbage within 30 days.

Sure they look good at first, but things start going downhill the moment you remove the plastic wrap. Hidden behind the paper is a sticker saying that you can't run them through the dishwasher and no cutting on the design side.

I should have returned them at this point, but I decided I could live with these limitations. What a mistake. After only a few times hand cleaning in the sink, I noticed they started to warp. At first it wasn't bad, but eventually they became so warped it was dangerous to chop items on as sometimes they would slip.

I continued using them figuring I should at least get some use out of them. After a few more cleanings the white plastic separated from the insides which turned out to be particle board! Honestly, I would highly recommend you spend a little more money and buy something else.[/QUOTE]

Remove that part and see what happens.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6757 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
Your review sounds more like a blog narrative to be honest... And it says right on the product page 'hand wash only', so your mention about this being hidden under a label doesn't hold water.

My opinion, re-write your review and just say it didn't met your expectations and it'll probably be posted.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12590 posts
1958 upvotes
City of Vancouver
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noma- ... qUP6tJDtGY

^ Someone reviewed this item and gave it 1/5 stars:

Stay away - FRAGILE
November 6, 2013

"I bought a couple strands of these lights and upon opening the second box I found a broken light. Took it back, exchanged for another. Realized I needed one more strand so back again I went and the box I picked up off the shelf had a broken bulb as well. Finally got the lights back to the house, and while taking them out of the packaging, another bulb broke!

These are all going back. The very thin glass bulbs are way too fragile and break easily. The only replacement in the box is the LED light and not for the bulb itself.

You would be much better off finding a light with a more durable bulb.

Major design flaw here."
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5852 posts
1511 upvotes
BC
scouzer wrote:
Dec 8th, 2013 7:40 pm
Not Found!
Works for me. Must have been a temporary accessing fault - can't put the blame on CT for that.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1784 posts
377 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Not Found!

The page you are looking for does not exist on this server.
I see it.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1097 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Not Found!

The page you are looking for does not exist on this server.
The link works for me. It's for "NOMA 50 Indoor C3 LED Tear Drop Christmas Lights, Assorted Colours - Product #151-0738-6"
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12590 posts
1958 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ojam wrote:
Dec 8th, 2013 6:51 pm
Remove that part and see what happens.
^ Or, just leave out this small part: "it was dangerous to chop items". You can write something to the effect of, "The warpage in the cutting board rendered it ineffective for chopping and slicing."

Personally, I do not like the aesthetics of this chopping board!

[IMG]http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Canadia ... _1?$medium$[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1097 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Dec 8th, 2013 8:03 pm
Personally, I do not like the aesthetics of this chopping board!

image snip
It is pretty terrible looking.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
629 upvotes
Toronto
I noticed a couple of years again the reviews on cdn tire are planted. And completely fake.
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
120 upvotes
Kitchener
I have sent negative reviews and got email saying thank you sir but they never post it
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
Why don't we flood their facebook page and leave negative comments there? Or do they have to be pre-approved?