Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1101 posts
302 upvotes
ontario

Canadian Tire false advertising lol "spend CT money get 50x back"

how is Canadian tire still in business?
Last month, Siebner and other customers received the offer that read:

“On October 3rd, redeem e-CT ‘Money’ right at checkout and collect 50X on the amount you redeem.”

Siebner says she interpreted the offer to mean she’d receive a big payout. So she went shopping and bought two items totalling $34.20, and spent $25 from her Canadian Tire CT-Money account.

“I redeemed $25 — I was supposed to get 50 times that amount. To me, that was $1,250,” Siebner said.

One of Canada’s most prominent marketing experts looked at the advertisement and agreed.

“It doesn’t make sense, it’s not reasonable to assume you’d get $1250, but that’s what it seemed she’d be getting,” said June Cotte, associate professor at the Richard Ivey School of Business at Western University in London, Ontario.

Canadian Tire did not explain the meaning of the offer to Global News when asked. But in a statement, a spokesperson said: “We regret the confusion this caused and we will reach out to the customer to make sure she remains a customer for life.” Siebner says from her perspective there was no confusion.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2364817/canad ... paign=2015

either its black and white or it isn't? why wouldn't Canadian tire offer an explanation on the offer that it sent to thousands of customers?
4 replies
Banned
Apr 23, 2015
994 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Were you living under a rock? Every loyalty programs is a ##X system. Anyone who doesn't know that in 2015 must suffer from a severe case of low IQ.

I hate that loyalty programs are this way, but they ALL do the same thing. That's why I don't waste my time with loyalty programs from retailers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Wait. Someone seriously thought they would get over $1200 for redeeming $25 in store!!!??? Huh? And then they were surprised when that wasn't the case?

I'd be all over that deal too!! Lol. But I'd probably inquire before proceeding with the transaction.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1101 posts
302 upvotes
ontario
well I did a search and found the redflagdeals post about the deal itself

apparently its 50x in 'e-ct' money
ct-redemption-day-50x-e-ct-money-amount ... a-1822089/
Redeem your e-CT Money on October 3 and earn 50x e-CT Money on the amount you redeem. Normally, you don't earn e-CT Money on the amount you redeem.

According to their email, this results in getting 20% back. So if you redeem $10, you'll get $2 back.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I'm sorry but you'd have to be pants on head stupid to think you're getting back 50x what you're paying.
50x the usual base rate? Sure. In fact that sounds like exactly what happened.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)