Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

FLIR TG165 Spot Thermal Camera

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2017 4:56 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
So is everyone buying this one vs the amazon unit? Any PM opportunities?

CT world MC should get decent amount of CT money back + extra year of warranty?
Feb 7, 2011
479 posts
129 upvotes
greg123 wrote: So is everyone buying this one vs the amazon unit? Any PM opportunities?

CT world MC should get decent amount of CT money back + extra year of warranty?
You can PM to home depot + 10% of difference which comes to CA$314.99 + Tax same as suggestion earlier
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
yellman wrote: Can always try it out and return it
You should just buy it and I'm sure if you put it up on kijiji for rental, you would get your money back easy.
Jan 10, 2005
530 posts
254 upvotes
Bishop8 wrote: Can I ask which generation One (1,2,3, Pro) you have, and whether it's iOS or Android? I'd happily save the money with the One as I'm only using it for home use. My android phone happens to use a USB-C connector, so that actually works out well for me. TIA
I have a F1G2, Android. Since I have Nexus phone, i had to get the overpriced reverse connector. You should be safe there with USB-C. I did notice with the new USB ones (G3) they downgraded the lowest model to 60*80 resolution, which is too low IMHO. This is a typical Flir move, cripple the low end to make people upgrade to pro. So if i were you I would get a G3 pro, or a G2 if you can find one cheap.

People seem angry about the G3, some battery issues, and apparently Flir forces you to sign up for an account to use their software. Not only that poeple claim you have to be connected to the cloud to even use the camera (slimy move, Flir).

If you can find G2 for 200 US or less that would be my choice. Or wait till the g3 is supported by 3rd party apps and the cloud only BS is cracked.
Jan 10, 2005
530 posts
254 upvotes
kaycee8877 wrote: Are any of these hackable anymore, or did they completely lock that all up?

The old ones you could hack the lowest cheapest version, and unlock it to the pro version resolution. They all used the same sensors but just had them 'firmware' locked to differentiate versions.
That was the E4, and a while ago. Very rare to find a hackable one today. Flir closed the loop on that one, they are all about providing you less value now, not more.
Jan 21, 2007
534 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Called HD and got denied. There isn't a model number on the Canadian Tire website and the stated the warranty differences as grounds to deny the PM. Sucks.
Aug 3, 2010
362 posts
139 upvotes
Had this and the iPhone Flir One. Felt this Flir unit was horrendous. But this is my opinion based on 2 years ago. They might have improved. the iPhone unit was very good but overpriced.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1056 posts
170 upvotes
MANGLER wrote: That was the E4, and a while ago. Very rare to find a hackable one today. Flir closed the loop on that one, they are all about providing you less value now, not more.
I managed to get a e4 and hacked into e8. But I bought it 1.5 years ago. Everyone loves it
Feb 2, 2016
52 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gotrice wrote: I managed to get a e4 and hacked into e8. But I bought it 1.5 years ago. Everyone loves it
The E4 is an excellent unit, on the other hand the TG165 is a fancy spot meter. It's not bad but it's limited in what it can do, it does have a clever laser box though. Canadian Tire is selling (clearing out) their $799 MasterCraft spot meter for around $240.

E4 recommended as it's a true array (albeit low resolution unless hacked) , as for the TG165 do some research first.

You can get a laser IR spot reader for under $80
Jan 19, 2017
893 posts
1056 upvotes
Kitchener
Dex wrote: Need a thermal camera to troubleshoot 1 bedroom that always seems 2 or 3 degrees cooler/warmer than the rest of the house. Much more obvious if the door has been closed for the whole day. Should I just buy the thermal camera or rent one? Too bad I don't have a friend I can borrow one of these from.
I'd rent, personally. That said, cold rooms usually cause by the heat duct at the end of a full run, that just have enough flow left at the end of the line. To avoid having to rent/buy one, could review your ductwork and see if you could close so duct valves or registers, to allow the flow to send to the end of the run. The, or a blatant insulation absence. Any way to peak in the attic?
Oct 27, 2016
111 posts
127 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anyone who grabbed this (I missed out, unfortunately...) there's an additional awesome addon! MIR from Flir directly, for a free MR40 moisture meter (or voltage tester) worth almost $100 CDN! Smoking deal if you got the IR at $349.

Form is available here
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3334 upvotes
the price of these things have really come down! really! just when i bought my house 15 years ago would've paid this price but infrared camera were in 1000.00 then. when you think about it, having a inspector coming to your house and depending how big your house is having them do a full tour of the house taking a day off for it would cost you a lot more some of them still don't use these things. it pays for itself a lot of ways.