• Sep 25th, 2019 3:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2596 posts
656 upvotes
Ontario

Canadian Tire Gas Bar Survey Coupon

Just wondering if the Canadian Tire Gas Bar Survey Coupon for 2 cents/L discussed here is still active:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ct-gas- ... y-1880331/
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
9 replies
May 7, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
My friends, here's the money way to play the Canadian tire gas bar game:

1. Do the survey. Gets you two cents per litre off gas. The 2 cents off will run for 2 to 3 weeks.
2. Consider obtaining a scotiabank cash back card. Pays you 4% on gas and grocery store purchases.
3. Use your scotiabank card to buy Canadian tire gift cards at the grocery store.
4. At Canadian tire, use the following in order to pay for gas: 2 cents off, run your triangle card which gets you 3.5 to 5 cents a litre in Canadian tire money, and then pay for gas with your GC. I worked it out -- it's roughly 10 cents per litre in savings.
May 7, 2005
312 posts
46 upvotes
Oakville
Well, I was doing exactly this until recently when I found out that my CT GC purchased from a grocery store had $0 balance. Apparently, someone stole the balance on my card, which had never left my wallet. CT didn't offer any help and I guess I'll have to eat the cost.

It may not happen to you but I just wanted to point out that buying CT GCs from grocery stores has a risk.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15988 posts
3113 upvotes
Toronto
iExcel wrote:
May 9th, 2019 11:32 am
Well, I was doing exactly this until recently when I found out that my CT GC purchased from a grocery store had $0 balance. Apparently, someone stole the balance on my card, which had never left my wallet. CT didn't offer any help and I guess I'll have to eat the cost.

It may not happen to you but I just wanted to point out that buying CT GCs from grocery stores has a risk.
We are well aware, there are many threads here on RFD about it. Sorry to hear.

Try speaking to the original location where you purchased the card (if that can be found). If you have the receipt, they should be able to help with this. Either way, the store should be made aware that their cards are compromised.

Canadian Tire just wants to pass the blame onto others, meanwhile it's their own poor cards that they have approved.

They are getting better, there is a new style out on the market that is a little harder to steal.
I doubt anything is perfect though, this is not unique to Canadian Tire gift cards but certainly, one of the more popular (next to gas cards).
RedFlagDeals addict
Jul 27, 2006
907 posts
498 upvotes
Moncton
RoyalElCheapo wrote:
May 8th, 2019 8:59 pm

1. Do the survey. Gets you two cents per litre off gas. The 2 cents off will run for 2 to 3 weeks.
2. Consider obtaining a scotiabank cash back card. Pays you 4% on gas and grocery store purchases.
3. Use your scotiabank card to buy Canadian tire gift cards at the grocery store.
4. At Canadian tire, use the following in order to pay for gas: 2 cents off, run your triangle card which gets you 3.5 to 5 cents a litre in Canadian tire money, and then pay for gas with your GC. I worked it out -- it's roughly 10 cents per litre in savings.
You can do better. Get the PC World Elite Mastercard & buy your CT gift cards at Shoppers when they have a 10% off sale. You get the equivalent of 4.5% cash back from the MC plus 10% off the gift cards. I always buy a years worth when they have these sales.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2002
1608 posts
151 upvotes
Scarborough
You can also buy CT gift cards right at the CT Gas Bar and use them the same day. If your CC gives you bonus cash back at gas stations...
----------------------------------------------------------------
Mar 12, 2015
144 posts
86 upvotes
Kitchener
RoyalElCheapo wrote:
Scotiabank changed gas cash back to 2%.
Jan 2, 2018
393 posts
329 upvotes
RoyalElCheapo wrote:

Wrong.
1. Wait for CT giftcards to come on 10% off at Rexall
2. Buy $5,000 worth at a time
3. Profit