Home & Garden

Canadian Tire gazebo question-do I need to attach it to ground?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 11:27 am
[OP]
Jun 27, 2015
788 posts
49 upvotes
East York, ON

Canadian Tire gazebo question-do I need to attach it to ground?

Hi guys

I was looking at this ( or a similar one) gazebo in store http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sunjo ... p.html#srp
and I was wondering if this needs to be fixed in position in any way.

The same question goes for a pergola. If it is big and heavy enough do you need to dig holes, pour concrete and and install screws ?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1465 posts
277 upvotes
Windsor
CuriousC wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 10:14 am
Hi guys

I was looking at this ( or a similar one) gazebo in store http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sunjo ... p.html#srp
and I was wondering if this needs to be fixed in position in any way.

The same question goes for a pergola. If it is big and heavy enough do you need to dig holes, pour concrete and and install screws ?
Gazebo? Definitely; those things are really light, and obviously look like a parachute.

Pergola? Probably; they're a lot heavier, and no large surface for wind to catch, but if it does move, it'll probably destroy itself ... I'd still bolt it down.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Jan 11, 2008
608 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Either should be fixed into the ground or deck. Pre-made gazebos and pergolas should have instructions on how to do it.

The last thing you want is either structure to fly off or apart and damage either your own house or someone else's property. Then you'd have to replace or fix your structure *and* fix or replace what was damaged.
May 28, 2012
9317 posts
1719 upvotes
Saskatoon
My neighbour's gazebo landed in between our yards on a windy day a couple years ago...I found it draped over the fence we shared. Miraculously, it didn't wreck the fence, can't say that for the gazebo because they haven't had that up since it turned into a pretzel. Definitely anchor it down well.
Mar 18, 2015
141 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Are there any laws about leaving these up all year?
Or how close they are to the house.
This is my backup plan if I'm not allowed to add a covered porch in my back yard.
Jan 11, 2008
608 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
It really depends on your city or municipality.

Covered porches might be viewed as structure i.e. you may need a building permit.

The ones I see are usually up year-round. Some people who have the fabric coverings will remove them for winter, in case the snow gets too heavy and breaks through.
Mar 18, 2015
141 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Sorry to thread jack.
I'm in Markham.
I'm applying for a permit/variance for the covered porch.
This is my backup if it gets denied.
[OP]
Jun 27, 2015
788 posts
49 upvotes
East York, ON
I had a closer look at the one on display at Costco. It does have a foot plate with openings for bolts.
Now the question is how big/deep/heavy must the concrete base be for these things
Feb 20, 2011
297 posts
37 upvotes
east york
if pouring a concrete base the size depends on which size gazebo u buy...as for concrete base 5-6" is more than enough
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1509 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
I fastened (used concrete screws) my Costco gazebo on an area of 14'x30' patio slab (24"x24") it held strong for 5 years till we moved and it had to stay behind.

The wind will push it or if you have the Canadian Tires fabric, it will fly away like an umbrella (had this happened couple of time).

If you are going to have it on just grass, then I would suggest pour concrete and fastened it that way.

Cheers!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Aug 25, 2006
85 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Also in markham here. I got the similar 10 x 12 foot model and it held up like a champ for two years (and winters) no problems. I screwed it down to a wood deck (16' x 30' ish) with 4 stainless big strong screws per corner. I ain't going no where. Instructions say to remove a roof panel on each side if really strong winds are expected to allow a path for wind to go through though I never bothered. Had fabric ones for years before and got sick of replacing wind torn covers hence the move to the all metal one. Seems really well built and solid for what it's worth. After/during big snow accumulations I do rake the accumulated snow off the top to minimize snow loads... did this like maybe 4 times max over past two winters (More of piece of mind that actual need as I think it would handle it fine given how sturdy it appears).
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1222 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
irishguy wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:37 pm
if pouring a concrete base the size depends on which size gazebo u buy...as for concrete base 5-6" is more than enough
If you're gonna put sonno tubes then it should be 4 ft or great below ground.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7110 posts
894 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Pergola posts should be put in below the frost line. The gazebo, I would definitely bolt down to a concrete deck or buried posts.