Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14708 posts
1709 upvotes
Toronto

Canadian Tire Gift Cards - Balances Can Be Stolen, With No Recourse

006.JPG
009.JPG
Canadian Tire gift cards are not safe. There are numerous threads throughout the years, talking about how gift card balances can be stolen (often because the numbers on the back of the cards are in complete view and those cards are available for anyone to touch, on the retail floor). Esso and Petro Canada gift cards come to mind.

What's even more concerning is the terms you agree to by purchasing Canadian Tire's gift card. Unlike other retailers, who will work with you if your balance is stolen (Shoppers Drug Mart, Esso), Canadian Tire will not, and has written those terms on the gift card.
The scary line is;
Canadian Tire is not responsible for replacing the value on this card if it is lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without your knowledge or consent.
Until either
A) Canadian Tire gift cards change and include blocked out numbers for no one to see
or
B) Canadian Tire removes this line from the gift card terms,

I would STRONGLY encourage you to NOT purchase Canadian Tire gift cards, until this problem is solved. If your balance is stolen, Canadian Tire doesn't have to do anything for you.

The cards I am talking about, look like the ones I have included photos of (mine was sold at Shoppers Drug Mart).

Edit: Razrez talks a bit about the gift card technology in another post, a good read if you're really interested in this stuff.

Update: New Gift Cards Out!
20171116_175214.jpg
Canadian Tire Gift Card 2.jpg
Images
  • 007.JPG
  • 008.JPG
Last edited by DaVibe on Mar 31st, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
60 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
8038 posts
809 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thx good to know.

there is no pin!! can this be used online or physical card in store only? wondering how it can happen..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14708 posts
1709 upvotes
Toronto
wlee wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 12:27 pm
thx good to know.

there is no pin!! can this be used online or physical card in store only? wondering how it can happen..
Whether there's a pin or not really isn't important. It's even worse that this card doesn't have a pin.

I'll give you an example. Esso gift cards have pins, however when you use the card, you don't need the pin. Even when you check the balance of many cards, you often don't need a pin.

This not having a pin is just another step to why it's so easy to gain the balance off this card. The thieves copy the numbers in-store or use swiping devices to obtain the numbers. They wait for you to activate the card (can tell by phoning the automated telephone line) and go ahead and use the card, before you do. Unfortunately, it's that simple.

Gift cards need to come in closed sleeves or have covered digits to be scratched off after purchase to be safe. At least safe from this crime. These gift cards are definitely NOT safe and by purchasing them, you are putting yourself at risk.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23778 posts
1222 upvotes
Markham, ON
umm....isnt this applicable to all gift cards???
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11252 posts
1607 upvotes
Markham
Worthy thread OP

Hope CT makes a change
Jan 26, 2017
293 posts
201 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 12:32 pm
I'll give you an example. Esso gift cards have pins, however when you use the card, you don't need the pin. Even when you check the balance of many cards, you often don't need a pin.
Are you sure?!
Let me get this straight....the people at Esso made their gift cards with a PIN yet you are saying no where on their website or during phone in they will ask/require the PIN?! So then why they heck did they put a PIN on it? Doesn't make sense that they'll create it but never require you to use it
Oct 26, 2010
883 posts
1159 upvotes
Was considering the 10% off deal at shoppers, now I'm not going to bother!
Thanks OP :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14708 posts
1709 upvotes
Toronto
Bebo123 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 1:59 pm
Are you sure?!
Let me get this straight....the people at Esso made their gift cards with a PIN yet you are saying no where on their website or during phone in they will ask/require the PIN?! So then why they heck did they put a PIN on it? Doesn't make sense that they'll create it but never require you to use it
The pins are irrelevant. I'll explain:

So Groupon sells a gift card with exposed numbers and a PIN to scratch off. Since with Groupon, you deposit the cash online, it takes the time to ask you for the PIN. So even with exposed numbers, that's a lot of possibilities for a PIN.
The PINS on these retail gift cards however, have no weight to them. When you use the card (once activated), you are never prompted for your PIN. The cashier simply asks you to "Swipe your card" and you are off.
It would be nice if the gift cards were treated like debit cards and required a PIN, which could be found on the physical card - what a simple solution!

But instead, the PIN is good for nothing. SOME electronic phone systems ask for the PIN when you check the balance by phone, but not all of them. Regardless, they want to use your balance, not just check the balance by phone lol

I've had my balance stolen from Esso gift cards about 5-10 times now, which is a gift card with a covered PIN. I certainly did not give anyone my PIN, yet they had no problem taking my balance.
Last edited by DaVibe on Mar 31st, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1342 posts
552 upvotes
Oakville, ON
This... pins don't matter once activated activated you don't enter pin passwords at checkout great point... never had a problem though and crossing my fingers never have to
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8572 posts
1853 upvotes
London
DaVibe wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 12:03 pm

What's even more concerning is the terms you agree to by purchasing Canadian Tire's gift card. Unlike other retailers, who will work with you if your balance is stolen (Shoppers Drug Mart, Esso), Canadian Tire will not, and has written those terms on the gift card.
The scary line is;

Until either
A) Canadian Tire gift cards change and include blocked out numbers for no one to see
or
B) Canadian Tire removes this line from the gift card terms,

I would STRONGLY encourage you to NOT purchase Canadian Tire gift cards, until this problem is solved. If your balance is stolen, Canadian Tire doesn't have to do anything for you.

The cards I am talking about, look like the ones I have included photos of (mine was sold at Shoppers Drug Mart).
Did CT refuse to help you....?
Jan 26, 2017
293 posts
201 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 4:53 pm
The pins are irrelevant. I'll explain:

So Groupon sells a gift card with exposed numbers and a PIN to scratch off. Since with Groupon, you deposit the cash online, it takes the time to ask you for the PIN. So even with exposed numbers, that's a lot of possibilities for a PIN.
The PINS on these retail gift cards however, have no weight to them. When you use the card (once activated), you are never prompted for your PIN. The cashier simply asks you to "Swipe your card" and you are off.
It would be nice if the gift cards were treated like debit cards and required a PIN, which could be found on the physical card - what a simple solution!

But instead, the PIN is good for nothing. SOME electronic phone systems ask for the PIN when you check the balance by phone, but not all of them. Regardless, they want to use your balance, not just check the balance by phone lol

I've had my balance stolen from Esso gift cards about 5-10 times now, which is a gift card with a covered PIN. I certainly did not give anyone my PIN, yet they had no problem taking my balance.

Ok fine, but
1) if now you are saying PINS don't matter then why are you keep telling everyone in many threads that Canadian Tire needs to include a PIN on their gift cards for this fraudulent activity to stop?!
2) if your beef is that the Canadian Tire gift card has their gift card number exposed then doesn't this really apply to every single gift card that is being sold out there?!

I still don't get why you are specifically are warning us to "Not Purchase Canadian Tire Gift Cards - Balances Can Be Stolen". Why are Roots or GAP gift card bought at Shoppers more safe to buy then a Canadian Tire gift card? You just said the PIN is irrelevant...so what makes Canadian Tire more risky then GAP? ((confused))
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14708 posts
1709 upvotes
Toronto
The warning is specifically about Canadian Tire because they are the only ones who have written themselves an out!

No other company does this!

I've had balance issues many times before (unfortunately) but never have I seen anyone throw up their hands and go, "Oh well!"

This is RFD. The warning is now here.

Buy some gift cards are Nymark Plaza or Fairview Mall, see what happens. I don't really care!
(FYI those are stores I have been defrauded at)
Last edited by DaVibe on Apr 1st, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4703 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 11:37 pm
if your beef is that the Canadian Tire gift card has their gift card number exposed then doesn't this really apply to every single gift card that is being sold out there?!

I still don't get why you are specifically are warning us to "Not Purchase Canadian Tire Gift Cards - Balances Can Be Stolen". Why are Roots or GAP gift card bought at Shoppers more safe to buy then a Canadian Tire gift card? You just said the PIN is irrelevant...so what makes Canadian Tire more risky then GAP? ((confused))
Some to most other gift cards are obfuscated so they can't be stolen unless tampered with.
I can't speak specifically about Roots or GAP but a good gift card should never be readable without evidently tampering with the card (or with specialized equipment like a mag reader)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14708 posts
1709 upvotes
Toronto
Bebo123 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 11:37 pm
Ok fine, but
1) if now you are saying PINS don't matter then why are you keep telling everyone in many threads that Canadian Tire needs to include a PIN on their gift cards for this fraudulent activity to stop?!
2) if your beef is that the Canadian Tire gift card has their gift card number exposed then doesn't this really apply to every single gift card that is being sold out there?!

You must be referring to another member, because I have never once cared about the PINS on gift cards. As I have already explained, they mean absolutely nothing most of the time.

Many gift cards use this same technology. Many however are improving and don't. For now, the consumer, we are all stuck in this in between stage, where scammers are taking advantage of consumers and the retail companies are trying to handle it quietly.

Quite frankly, I think scammers don't care about your Laura Secord gift card or Cineplex, because they aren't valuable on the market and aren't sold in large quantities, like gas and major electronics retailers are on a regular basis.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
4621 posts
2135 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 12:48 pm
umm....isnt this applicable to all gift cards???
:lol: Yeah, this guy is complaining about the wrong part.
"Canadian Tire is not responsible for replacing the value on this card if it is lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without your knowledge or consent."

No company is going to replace your gift card if it is used without your knowledge or consent. They tell you to treat gift cards like cash. The real problem is apparently Canadian Tire won't give you a replacement if the card is lost/destroyed/damaged even if it still has a balance. Other companies would cancel the card and give you a replacement.