[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14626 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
hvwozq wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 2:07 am
:lol: Yeah, this guy is complaining about the wrong part.
"Canadian Tire is not responsible for replacing the value on this card if it is lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without your knowledge or consent."

No company is going to replace your gift card if it is used without your knowledge or consent. They tell you to treat gift cards like cash. The real problem is apparently Canadian Tire won't give you a replacement if the card is lost/destroyed/damaged even if it still has a balance. Other companies would cancel the card and give you a replacement.
If your card has been used fraudulently, which you can prove (your original receipt helps), many members (including myself) have never had an issue getting a replacement card.

With those terms on the Canadian Tire gift card, I can't say the same for when it happens on their card.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Oct 13, 2014
155 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto, ON
how can people use the stolen numbers without the physical cards?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11138 posts
1488 upvotes
Markham
egoignaxio wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:51 am
Just assuming here ...But maybe enter the # online once they know the card is active?
Oct 13, 2014
155 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RolandCouch wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:53 am
Just assuming here ...But maybe enter the # online once they know the card is active?
there is no way to enter gift card #online, just tested it out
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14626 posts
1636 upvotes
Toronto
We don't need to speculate on how the crime is committed and debate that. It's being done on a daily basis.

There's lots of theories as to HOW.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14981 posts
5259 upvotes
I think you are being unfair with your criticism of Canadian Tire not taking responsibility for lost balances. This is standard among many gift cards. Amazon.ca has the following line, essentially declaring the same thing:
We are not responsible if any Gift Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, or your Amazon.ca Balance or any Gift Card is used without your permission.

Now, your issue with being able to take down the gift card number because it is visible is a whole different story. But again, that is not limited to Canadian Tire in the slightest.

Further, I even googled Shoppers Drug Mart's T&C's which state the same thing as CT:
. Lost, stolen or unauthorized use cards will not be replaced or replenished.

Your message is a good warning but the targeting of CT is unfair because even the retailers you claim are better have the exact same clause.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11138 posts
1488 upvotes
Markham
Jon Lai wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 4:46 pm
CT cards actually cannot be checked online. It's by phone only.
I meant to make a purchase, not check a balance
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4702 upvotes
egoignaxio wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:51 am
Assuming CT uses the magstripe to process payment off the cards, it's trivially easy to modify the magstripe data.
Assuming that the number on the back has any relation to the value of the card it's stupidly easy to clone the card.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2127 posts
327 upvotes
I'm not a lawyer or English major but it seems to me that "Canadian Tire is not responsible for replacing the value on this card if it is lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without your knowledge or consent." seems to be referring to the actual card and not the value on the card because the value can't be lost or destroyed or damaged. They can't be referring to either option of value or the physical card because they used the words "if it is" as opposed to "if the value or the card is". Therefore, wouldn't you be entitled to a balance refund because the card was never lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without knowledge or consent?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3906 posts
591 upvotes
Richmond
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 2:40 pm
I think you are being unfair with your criticism of Canadian Tire not taking responsibility for lost balances. This is standard among many gift cards. Amazon.ca has the following line, essentially declaring the same thing:
We are not responsible if any Gift Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, or your Amazon.ca Balance or any Gift Card is used without your permission.

Now, your issue with being able to take down the gift card number because it is visible is a whole different story. But again, that is not limited to Canadian Tire in the slightest.

Further, I even googled Shoppers Drug Mart's T&C's which state the same thing as CT:

Your message is a good warning but the targeting of CT is unfair because even the retailers you claim are better have the exact same clause.
amazon has their gcs properly taped up. and you have to peel back a paper thing prior to purchasing the card. Usually the cashier does the peeling part. ct doesn't
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2651 posts
639 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
TrevorK wrote:

OP is targeting Canadian Tire because they are on sale this week at 10% discount and in the other thread here, posters are drooling over hoarding 100s of dollars of them.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11138 posts
1488 upvotes
Markham
Yesterday I happened to be at SDM to buy a different gift card and it was impossible not to notice that the CT Gift Cards were the only ones on the rack that looked liked they'd entirely been rooted through. Perhaps just a coincidence but you would not have had to pull them all out to find each denomination.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3179 posts
2114 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:

Jon Lai wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 4:45 pm
^Exactly, every GC has that in their terms and conditions - that shouldn't be a reason for not buying them.

It sounds like an excellent reason to stop buying gift cards all together though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)