Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire Gift Cards - Balances Can Be Stolen, With No Recourse

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2018 11:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14958 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
hvwozq wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 2:07 am
:lol: Yeah, this guy is complaining about the wrong part.
"Canadian Tire is not responsible for replacing the value on this card if it is lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without your knowledge or consent."

No company is going to replace your gift card if it is used without your knowledge or consent. They tell you to treat gift cards like cash. The real problem is apparently Canadian Tire won't give you a replacement if the card is lost/destroyed/damaged even if it still has a balance. Other companies would cancel the card and give you a replacement.
If your card has been used fraudulently, which you can prove (your original receipt helps), many members (including myself) have never had an issue getting a replacement card.

With those terms on the Canadian Tire gift card, I can't say the same for when it happens on their card.
RedFlagDeals addict
Jr. Member
Oct 13, 2014
155 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto, ON
how can people use the stolen numbers without the physical cards?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11463 posts
1764 upvotes
Markham
egoignaxio wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:51 am
how can people use the stolen numbers without the physical cards?
Just assuming here ...But maybe enter the # online once they know the card is active?
Jr. Member
Oct 13, 2014
155 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RolandCouch wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:53 am
Just assuming here ...But maybe enter the # online once they know the card is active?
there is no way to enter gift card #online, just tested it out
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14958 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
We don't need to speculate on how the crime is committed and debate that. It's being done on a daily basis.

There's lots of theories as to HOW.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15130 posts
5410 upvotes
I think you are being unfair with your criticism of Canadian Tire not taking responsibility for lost balances. This is standard among many gift cards. Amazon.ca has the following line, essentially declaring the same thing:
We are not responsible if any Gift Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, or your Amazon.ca Balance or any Gift Card is used without your permission.

Now, your issue with being able to take down the gift card number because it is visible is a whole different story. But again, that is not limited to Canadian Tire in the slightest.


Further, I even googled Shoppers Drug Mart's T&C's which state the same thing as CT:
. Lost, stolen or unauthorized use cards will not be replaced or replenished.


Your message is a good warning but the targeting of CT is unfair because even the retailers you claim are better have the exact same clause.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40913 posts
2226 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RolandCouch wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:53 am
Just assuming here ...But maybe enter the # online once they know the card is active?
CT cards actually cannot be checked online. It's by phone only.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11463 posts
1764 upvotes
Markham
Jon Lai wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 4:46 pm
CT cards actually cannot be checked online. It's by phone only.
I meant to make a purchase, not check a balance
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4706 upvotes
egoignaxio wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 11:51 am
how can people use the stolen numbers without the physical cards?
Assuming CT uses the magstripe to process payment off the cards, it's trivially easy to modify the magstripe data.
Assuming that the number on the back has any relation to the value of the card it's stupidly easy to clone the card.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2127 posts
327 upvotes
I'm not a lawyer or English major but it seems to me that "Canadian Tire is not responsible for replacing the value on this card if it is lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without your knowledge or consent." seems to be referring to the actual card and not the value on the card because the value can't be lost or destroyed or damaged. They can't be referring to either option of value or the physical card because they used the words "if it is" as opposed to "if the value or the card is". Therefore, wouldn't you be entitled to a balance refund because the card was never lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without knowledge or consent?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3934 posts
615 upvotes
Richmond
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 2:40 pm
I think you are being unfair with your criticism of Canadian Tire not taking responsibility for lost balances. This is standard among many gift cards. Amazon.ca has the following line, essentially declaring the same thing:
We are not responsible if any Gift Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, or your Amazon.ca Balance or any Gift Card is used without your permission.

Now, your issue with being able to take down the gift card number because it is visible is a whole different story. But again, that is not limited to Canadian Tire in the slightest.


Further, I even googled Shoppers Drug Mart's T&C's which state the same thing as CT:
. Lost, stolen or unauthorized use cards will not be replaced or replenished.


Your message is a good warning but the targeting of CT is unfair because even the retailers you claim are better have the exact same clause.
amazon has their gcs properly taped up. and you have to peel back a paper thing prior to purchasing the card. Usually the cashier does the peeling part. ct doesn't
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 28, 2007
2680 posts
641 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 2:40 pm
I think you are being unfair with your criticism of Canadian Tire not taking responsibility for lost balances. This is standard among many gift cards. Amazon.ca has the following line, essentially declaring the same thing:
We are not responsible if any Gift Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, or your Amazon.ca Balance or any Gift Card is used without your permission.

Now, your issue with being able to take down the gift card number because it is visible is a whole different story. But again, that is not limited to Canadian Tire in the slightest.


Further, I even googled Shoppers Drug Mart's T&C's which state the same thing as CT:
. Lost, stolen or unauthorized use cards will not be replaced or replenished.


Your message is a good warning but the targeting of CT is unfair because even the retailers you claim are better have the exact same clause.
OP is targeting Canadian Tire because they are on sale this week at 10% discount and in the other thread here, posters are drooling over hoarding 100s of dollars of them.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11463 posts
1764 upvotes
Markham
Yesterday I happened to be at SDM to buy a different gift card and it was impossible not to notice that the CT Gift Cards were the only ones on the rack that looked liked they'd entirely been rooted through. Perhaps just a coincidence but you would not have had to pull them all out to find each denomination.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3417 posts
2371 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 2:40 pm
I think you are being unfair with your criticism of Canadian Tire not taking responsibility for lost balances. This is standard among many gift cards. Amazon.ca has the following line, essentially declaring the same thing:
We are not responsible if any Gift Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, or your Amazon.ca Balance or any Gift Card is used without your permission.

Now, your issue with being able to take down the gift card number because it is visible is a whole different story. But again, that is not limited to Canadian Tire in the slightest.


Further, I even googled Shoppers Drug Mart's T&C's which state the same thing as CT:
. Lost, stolen or unauthorized use cards will not be replaced or replenished.


Your message is a good warning but the targeting of CT is unfair because even the retailers you claim are better have the exact same clause.
Jon Lai wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 4:45 pm
^Exactly, every GC has that in their terms and conditions - that shouldn't be a reason for not buying them.

It sounds like an excellent reason to stop buying gift cards all together though.

Top