Canadian Tire Gift Cards - Balances Can Be Stolen, With No Recourse

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2018 11:25 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1517 posts
1014 upvotes
Alberta
There was a big discussion about how to burn dups of these cards (CT, Esso,Petrol Can) on the darkweb a while ago. Lots wannabe criminals prefers these type of victim less crime since they know the retailer will eat it at the end of the day....You might go through some hoops to get your money back but you will eventually. Cops don't care about these also since they got more serious stuff to care about and taking stacks of empty GCs out of the store is not illegal...It is relatively low risk for the entry level waanabes.

Anyone with a cc reader or even a handheld skimmer can go through these cards within minutes and dup them later.
Mar 19, 2009
167 posts
20 upvotes
Chookman wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 10:32 pm
I'm not a lawyer or English major but it seems to me that "Canadian Tire is not responsible for replacing the value on this card if it is lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without your knowledge or consent." seems to be referring to the actual card and not the value on the card because the value can't be lost or destroyed or damaged. They can't be referring to either option of value or the physical card because they used the words "if it is" as opposed to "if the value or the card is". Therefore, wouldn't you be entitled to a balance refund because the card was never lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without knowledge or consent?
I am no lawyer or English major, but sounds to me "used without your knowledge or consent" covers CT's butt for not refunding you the money. I highly question CT's security as my credit card was used without my consent after I forgot to take my card from the POS machine and went back to get it from the parking lot (maybe 2 mins of losing the card in the store).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14962 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
HZH wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 11:20 pm
I am no lawyer or English major, but sounds to me "used without your knowledge or consent" covers CT's butt for not refunding you the money. I highly question CT's security as my credit card was used without my consent after I forgot to take my card from the POS machine and went back to get it from the parking lot (maybe 2 mins of losing the card in the store).
You're absolutely correct. That line is SPECIFICALLY for us gift-card-complainers, who will phone in and say, "My gift card balance was stolen, it was used without my knowledge!"
Canadian Tire: "Sorry, we don't cover that, it's in our terms"

Like I said in my original post, it's a very slimey and scary line for a retailer to put on their gift cards. I haven't run into any other retailer with it, especially one who actually HAS balances stolen off their gift cards!

My favourite cards right now - Amazon. Come in an enclosed package, which the cashier (or purchaser) needs to rip the package to reveal a unique UPC to activate the card. Probably the best card on the market, at least of the ones I've seen in Ontario.

Edit: Kinda re-read the whole thread, just wanted to say:
This whole post is to shed some light on Canadian Tire, RFD style and to hopefully have them fix this problem, before more people find their balance stolen. Every Canadian Tire gift card sale that comes up, this issue comes to mind.
And FYI, Esso (with Shoppers Drug Mart) has LOTS of threads up about it on RFD, so this is not "targeting" Canadian Tire. It's informing the public before they get into gift cards, hundreds of dollars deep (or more). They are at risk and they need to be aware of those risks.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15138 posts
5415 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 11:26 pm
Like I said in my original post, it's a very slimey and scary line for a retailer to put on their gift cards. I haven't run into any other retailer with it, especially one who actually HAS balances stolen off their gift cards!
Have you looked at the terms and conditions of other gift cards
?
Amazon.ca: The risk of loss and title for Gift Cards pass to the purchaser upon our electronic transmission of the Gift Card to the purchaser or designated recipient, or our delivery to the carrier, whichever is applicable. We are not responsible if any Gift Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, or your Amazon.ca Balance or any Gift Card is used without your permission. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... Id=1060392
Aritzia: Lost Gift Card — Gift Cards are not replaceable if lost, stolen, or damaged. https://www.aritzia.com/on/demandware.s ... d-terms-ca
LCBO: Lost or stolen Gift Cards will not be replaced. http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/cat ... tions.html
H&M: H&M cannot be held liable for H&M Gift Cards or H&M Merchandise Cards once activated, which subsequently are lost, stolen, inactivated or damaged. Treat your H&M Gift Cards and H&M Merchandise Cards as cash.
http://www2.hm.com/en_ca/customer-servi ... tions.html
HBC: The value on this card will not be replaced if lost, stolen or used without permission. http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... /gift-card

I would suspect that most gift cards will not protect the balance unless they are the type that are registered. And even then, most of the time the protection is only granted after you notify them of the card being lost of stolen.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14962 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 10:09 pm
I would suspect that most gift cards will not protect the balance unless they are the type that are registered. And even then, most of the time the protection is only granted after you notify them of the card being lost of stolen.
This stems from RFD users saying that their balances have been stolen. We aren't getting those complaints on people's Aritizia cards (for example) because it doesn't have the turn over that a gas card or Canadian Tire card has.

Like I said, people are purchasing big amounts and they should know what's happening behind the scenes.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: Yes, lost and stolen is the common terminology, it's the "used without your consent" line that I don't like. I don't like a retailer giving themselves an out, when the user is left stranded by someone who's stolen the balance. Generally, the balance is stolen, the retailer has replaced the balance (gas cards), just with a line like that however, Canadian Tire doesn't have to.

This is a knowledge thread. Many people aren't even aware of this crime.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15138 posts
5415 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 4:20 am
This stems from RFD users saying that their balances have been stolen. We aren't getting those complaints on people's Aritizia cards (for example) because it doesn't have the turn over that a gas card or Canadian Tire card has.

Like I said, people are purchasing big amounts and they should know what's happening behind the scenes.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: Yes, lost and stolen is the common terminology, it's the "used without your consent" line that I don't like. I don't like a retailer giving themselves an out, when the user is left stranded by someone who's stolen the balance. Generally, the balance is stolen, the retailer has replaced the balance (gas cards), just with a line like that however, Canadian Tire doesn't have to.

This is a knowledge thread. Many people aren't even aware of this crime.
As you mention you currently have positive feelings for the Amazon gift cards, does your opinion of the Amazon gift cards change now that you know they have the exact same line?
We are not responsible if any Gift Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, or your Amazon.ca Balance or any Gift Card is used without your permission.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14962 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 10:46 pm
As you mention you currently have positive feelings for the Amazon gift cards, does your opinion of the Amazon gift cards change now that you know they have the exact same line?
We are not responsible if any Gift Card is lost, stolen or destroyed, or your Amazon.ca Balance or any Gift Card is used without your permission.
But no one is claiming that their balance has been stolen from Amazon, because their card is so good. For just the point you mentioned, sure, you can also give that critical eye, but frankly I'm not worried about my Amazon gift cards (I have quite a few). I am worried about my Canadian Tire gift cards (have quite a few) and have had my balances stolen multiple times from Esso, who at least is willing to help replace them.

I'd like Canadian Tire to either A) Remove the line or B) Get better cards.

Otherwise, as consumers, we don't have much to stand on if this happens to us.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2406 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
Despite that showing on the terms, I was able to get my Canadian Tire GC reimbursed with a new one last year. I had to scan the receipt, the card and the activation receipt to them. 2 weeks in they came back and asked me when I last used it (if I did) and then hew as able to see where the balance was emptied. For my particilar situation, it was used at the gas bar @ Keele and 401. He took my info and mailed me a new GC.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14962 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 4:02 pm
Despite that showing on the terms, I was able to get my Canadian Tire GC reimbursed with a new one last year. I had to scan the receipt, the card and the activation receipt to them. 2 weeks in they came back and asked me when I last used it (if I did) and then hew as able to see where the balance was emptied. For my particilar situation, it was used at the gas bar @ Keele and 401. He took my info and mailed me a new GC.
That's good to hear, that's promising at least.
RedFlagDeals addict
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14962 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
Update: New Gift Cards available!
20171116_175214.jpg
Canadian Tire Gift Card 2.jpg

I was planning to make a new thread to give Canadian Tire a break but while creating it, I slowly realized, nothing has changed.

The style of the gift card has changed. It's very smart. The electronic swipe on the card has been raised to the middle of the card, making it no longer accessible by machine (those who copy cards). This is great news.
However, the entire card number (appears to be the number for the card you are purchasing) is still exposed to the public, which makes it vulnerable to those wanting to copy the number down and duplicate the card, off-site. (The exposed numbers at the bottom of the card are also the same numbers printed on the upper portion, which is the actual gift card for the customer).
The "is not responsible for replacing the value on this card ..." terms are still there, which again is very scary to read from a retailer. They are simply throwing their hands up and saying, sorry you're out of luck.

These cards are much, much better, but far from perfect. These numbers should not be exposed. It's a good first-attempt.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15138 posts
5415 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 7:45 pm
The "is not responsible for replacing the value on this card ..." terms are still there, which again is very scary to read from a retailer. They are simply throwing their hands up and saying, sorry you're out of luck.
Have you checked all the other gift cards you purchase to see if they have removed these terms from their terms & conditions? This is very common language so I'm a little surprised you seem shocked it is still there and wonder if it's part of some sort of blind hatred against CT that causes you to over look this.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14962 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 9:46 pm
Have you checked all the other gift cards you purchase to see if they have removed these terms from their terms & conditions? This is very common language so I'm a little surprised you seem shocked it is still there and wonder if it's part of some sort of blind hatred against CT that causes you to over look this.
That's not it, at all, because I have a post about Esso gift cards as well (the technology).

If the technology wasn't so poor and wasn't being copied, I really wouldn't care what the terms said at all. But because RFD members are regularly purchasing gift cards and RFD members have claimed their balances have been stolen, it's important to note both parts - 1. The technology is poor and can be duplicated (unlike other retailers) and 2. That the terms they have written don't give us a leg to stand out.

My only thing "against" Canadian Tire is I want them to make the cards better.

The fact that they made a change at all is a sign to me that, they are concerned and they are listening to threads like these.

Edit: Furthermore, I am going to change the title of this thread, just for you, because you somehow feel I'm being too harsh on one retailer.
When our balances are safe, this thread will not need to exist!

Edit 2: BTW, I'm a heavy gift card purchaser, not just with Canadian Tire, so there is no blind hatred. Instead, it's in MY best interest to try and stay ahead of these scam artists stealing our balances.
I'm sorry if you feel any other way about my position but that's the truth. If no one talks about these issues, they won't get fixed. Public exposure is a great way to get things changed.
Last edited by DaVibe on Dec 15th, 2017 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
RedFlagDeals addict
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14962 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 4:02 pm
That's good to hear, glad you had the supporting documentation so you could prove it was your card and get a replacement one.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15138 posts
5415 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 9:50 am
If the technology wasn't so poor and wasn't being copied, I really wouldn't care what the terms said at all. But because RFD members are regularly purchasing gift cards and RFD members have claimed their balances have been stolen, it's important to note both parts - 1. The technology is poor and can be duplicated (unlike other retailers) and 2. That the terms they have written don't give us a leg to stand out.
This is a problem with many, many gift cards. Further even retailers like Amazon tell you that you are out of luck if your gift card is stolen.

Yet you insist on picking on CT for some unknown reason. Why you have this blind hatred is unknown, but it's clear you are picking on a single company and ignoring all the other companies that act the same.
Dec 11, 2017
71 posts
83 upvotes
Last year I bought 3 $100 Canadian Tire GCs from Lowblaws (when it was on 10% off sale). When I went to use it for the first time a month later at a CT gas station, it showed 0 balance. I got home checked the balance on the other two cards and they showed 0 balance as well. I called Canadian Tire GC line and they were very helpful and replaced all the 3 cards. I had to send them my original receipt from Lowblaws and image of the cards. So, keep your receipts (of the GC purchase) until you use it up completely.