• Apr 29th, 2018 11:25 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2537 posts
1047 upvotes
Waterloo
DaVibe wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 9:50 am
Edit 2: BTW, I'm a heavy gift card purchaser, not just with Canadian Tire, so there is no blind hatred. Instead, it's in MY best interest to try and stay ahead of these scam artists stealing our balances.
I'm sorry if you feel any other way about my position but that's the truth. If no one talks about these issues, they won't get fixed. Public exposure is a great way to get things changed.
Just curious, but why do you purchase so many gift cards? Is it when gift cards are on sale (such as CT being 10% off fairly regularly) or some other reason?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14447 posts
1523 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 12:19 am
Just curious, but why do you purchase so many gift cards? Is it when gift cards are on sale (such as CT being 10% off fairly regularly) or some other reason?
Sale price, yes.
Also, I'm usually participating in a number of minimum-spend offers from credit cards, so purchasing gift cards is a simple solution to reach these totals.
I also have a card that gets me a bonus for purchasing gift cards, as opposed to outright, so I'm earning some additional cashback as well.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7015 posts
5255 upvotes
Oakville
DaVibe wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 9:22 am
Sale price, yes.
Also, I'm usually participating in a number of minimum-spend offers from credit cards, so purchasing gift cards is a simple solution to reach these totals.
I also have a card that gets me a bonus for purchasing gift cards, as opposed to outright, so I'm earning some additional cashback as well.
Is this still currently an issue with CT cards? Also, what CC gives you bonus for GCs?
thx
Jul 5, 2015
50 posts
7 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I am a living testament that this scam is alive and well. Was given $100 gift card for christmas. Took the card off the card board and removed the glue and went to the store last Friday. Was told there was no balance. Called my nephew and he had purchased this card at Sobey's store in Waterloo. Was told it look like it was activated properly. They called Canadian Tire and was told it was used at a gas bar in Oakville Jan.13. Going to try and find out if they know what time it was purchased as I work from 5am to 3pm with proof. Other point is my car is a tiny car so could only take $35 to fill from empty. I live in Guelph. Haven't been told officially to go and pound salt but it isn't looking good. I guess they get that number and make there own card and not sure but can probably check online for a balance and spend it in one shot. Just a guess. Really woke me up to gift cards and had no idea about the clause on the fine print on the ct cards. Must be a real problem if they have to make a special clause. Waiting to see what officially happens. Thanks for the heads up but a little too late for me. Be aware.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14719 posts
5032 upvotes
Dakota680 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 6:35 pm
Really woke me up to gift cards and had no idea about the clause on the fine print on the ct cards. Must be a real problem if they have to make a special clause. Waiting to see what officially happens. Thanks for the heads up but a little too late for me. Be aware.
Most gift cards will have a similar clause - Amazon for example also has the same thing.

Companies cannot afford to open themselves up to the liability of each gift card being worth twice as much ($100 for the thief, $100 for the customer). Imagine the RFD scams - people who buy gas, call in stolen, and get another gift card. While you or I may not do that, it's definitely not out of the realm for people here based on previous posts.
Jul 5, 2015
50 posts
7 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Just an update as my nephew has been told that he will be getting a new gift card after he filed a claim with Canadian Tire. Haven't heard from him that he got it but don't see why he wouldn't. Figured I would have gotten a call from them since I had the card on my dinning room table but will see.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14447 posts
1523 upvotes
Toronto
Dakota680 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 2:45 pm
Just an update as my nephew has been told that he will be getting a new gift card after he filed a claim with Canadian Tire. Haven't heard from him that he got it but don't see why he wouldn't. Figured I would have gotten a call from them since I had the card on my dinning room table but will see.
That's good news.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1030 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON
I still have Canadian tire money sitting at home. I am not sure if they have been phased out so I don't even bother using them. It's hard to use that one cent Canadian tire money, eh?
Nov 21, 2009
229 posts
109 upvotes
Moncton
Just received a $100 gift card from my father for my birthday; checked the balance and it's intact. For now. Too bad Canadian Tire doesn't allow us to take the cards into a local store and have the balance loaded onto our CT Money accounts.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4419 posts
2374 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:41 am
I still have Canadian tire money sitting at home. I am not sure if they have been phased out so I don't even bother using them. It's hard to use that one cent Canadian tire money, eh?
I “think” you can bring the paper CT Money into Customer Service and have the amount loaded onto your plastic My Cdn Tire Money Account

According to the Cdn Tire Website... Paper Cdn Tire Money is still in circulation, given out in some circumstances (like Gas Stations) where someone doesn’t have an E Account / Plastic Card ... but the earn rate is lower cause you don’t get any Bonus Coupons / Offers like with the E Account / Plastic Card that Customers load for crazy Points multipliers
QUESTION - What about paper Canadian Tire Money?

ANSWER - Paper Canadian Tire Money can be earned at Canadian Tire stores and Gas+ locations only when paying by cash, debit or gift card. Paper Canadian Tire Money will not be issued and cannot be redeemed at Mark’s/L’Équipeur, SportChek or Atmosphere stores. Bonus Canadian Tire Money is only available digitally when using the My Canadian Tire Money card, key fob, CT Mobile App or when paying with an Options MasterCard.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14719 posts
5032 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:41 am
I just cashed all mine in a weekend ago - I switched to the CT Rewards app on my phone and figured I would just bring in my pile. No problems whatsoever.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14719 posts
5032 upvotes
XOMTOR wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 9:06 am
Just received a $100 gift card from my father for my birthday; checked the balance and it's intact. For now. Too bad Canadian Tire doesn't allow us to take the cards into a local store and have the balance loaded onto our CT Money accounts.
You may want to try consolidating gift cards. Ask them if you can purchase a gift card and have the funds from your "gifted" gift card loaded on to it. I used to do this in the past during the popular "At home" program (where you got discount gift cards and cash back for doing things). We would get a bunch of small ($25) gift cards and to save hassle I would consolidate them onto one - just to make it more convenient.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1230 posts
6 upvotes
Did anyone ever contact Loblaws? Since this is where these cards are typically sold at discount.
I had a new style card not working today and when I called it said the balance is 0 and they (CT) were closed for the evening.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14447 posts
1523 upvotes
Toronto
Raven_007 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 8:18 pm
Did anyone ever contact Loblaws? Since this is where these cards are typically sold at discount.
I had a new style card not working today and when I called it said the balance is 0 and they (CT) were closed for the evening.
A new card like the one I loaded a photo of? Oh boy ...

It's those numbers, they should not be exposed!

Can you just confirm the type of card? I was hoping these newer ones would be safe from swiping but I guess some just copy it the old fashioned way.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10677 posts
1206 upvotes
Markham
DaVibe wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 9:16 pm
A new card like the one I loaded a photo of? Oh boy ...

It's those numbers, they should not be exposed!

Can you just confirm the type of card? I was hoping these newer ones would be safe from swiping but I guess some just copy it the old fashioned way.
Agree. Gonna check my new cards this week