Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire gift cards no longer accepted at gas bar?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2016 10:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2241 posts
1364 upvotes
Prince George

Canadian Tire gift cards no longer accepted at gas bar?

I went to use a gift card at the CT gas bar today as I have been doing for many months from the 10% SDM promos. The pump rejected it with a message about the card only being valid inside. Inside, the cashier said they had recently changed their policy to not accept gift cards for gas. She did accept my gift card for this one transaction but said it was not the policy going forward. It's a sad day for me.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Last edited by cheaper_than_cheap on Nov 4th, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Jun 5, 2016
394 posts
398 upvotes
Can gift cards be returned?
Gift Cards are not eligible for returns or refunds. They are only redeemable for merchandise and service at any Canadian Tire retail store or gas bar, and may not be redeemed for cash or applied as payment on any Canadian Tire credit account.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/customer- ... cards.html

Still says you can on the website
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1172 posts
775 upvotes
Belleville
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/gift-cards.html

"Canadian Tire's Gift Cards are the perfect gift for everyone. With no fees and no expiry date, buy a gift card online and give someone the gift of choice. Whether it's for a special occasion or just because, choose from $10, $25, $50, and $100 gift card denominations. Canadian Tire Gift Cards are redeemable at over 460 stores, 400 service centres and over 250 gas bars across Canada. For more information please visit our Gift Card Customer Service page."

Maybe that Gas Bar is no longer accepting them.

Got me scared for a second. I have over $2000 in gift cards picking them at at 10% off
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8470 posts
2844 upvotes
Toronto
Also got me scared for a second. The gas bars in Toronto, and surrounding areas have been accepting them.

CT will cause a riot if they stopped accepting their GCs at their gas bars, after many people buying them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2241 posts
1364 upvotes
Prince George
Web sites aren't always updated instantaneously when policies change. It's a fact that my gift card did not work at the pump yesterday when that same card did in the same pump last week. It's also a fact that the cashier told me they had changed the policy. Hopefully the cashier is full of it but I'd like to hear of any recent success (last day or two).
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2128 posts
330 upvotes
cheaper_than_cheap wrote:
Nov 4th, 2016 1:50 pm
Web sites aren't always updated instantaneously when policies change. It's a fact that my gift card did not work at the pump yesterday when that same card did in the same pump last week. It's also a fact that the cashier told me they had changed the policy. Hopefully the cashier is full of it but I'd like to hear of any recent success (last day or two).
I paid for gas with gift card on November the second.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8878 posts
2332 upvotes
London
Bought gas with a GC at a CT in London today, no problems.

I suspect the OP must have stumbled into a location that has GC fraud in the past, and the owner is clamping down. .....What are the chances that CT franchise will decide to make their own rules and go against corporate policy....?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7624 posts
1396 upvotes
CT GCs lack security features like a pin code.

I had a GC emptied by these crooks and CT compensated me back with a new one after I reported it. Took about 5 weeks to imvestigate.

Guess where the 'stolen' GC was used? At the gas bar at Keele and 401.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3046 posts
1315 upvotes
Waterloo
The Canadian Tire gas station that I always go to and use gift cards at just told me they no longer accept them at the machines outside but I can still use them to pay inside. That sucks...I don't want to have to go inside to pay...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8878 posts
2332 upvotes
London
crystallight wrote:
Nov 9th, 2016 6:08 pm
The Canadian Tire gas station that I always go to and use gift cards at just told me they no longer accept them at the machines outside but I can still use them to pay inside. That sucks...I don't want to have to go inside to pay...
Considering the amount of fraud with these cards, this explanation makes the most sense to me. The OP stumbled onto a gas bar that didn't understand the new policy.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16507 posts
3609 upvotes
Toronto
Don't scare me. What's the location of your gas bar?
Maybe YMMV at your specific location? Specific employee?

I just used one a few days ago so I'd say yes, they are still accepted.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3046 posts
1315 upvotes
Waterloo
Ottomaddox wrote:
Nov 10th, 2016 11:09 am
Considering the amount of fraud with these cards, this explanation makes the most sense to me. The OP stumbled onto a gas bar that didn't understand the new policy.
Just curious as I'm not familiar with how gift card fraud works, how would the new change in policy help with this issue?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2128 posts
330 upvotes
crystallight wrote:
Nov 10th, 2016 12:13 pm
Just curious as I'm not familiar with how gift card fraud works, how would the new change in policy help with this issue?
The way I understand it is that someone at the store that sells the gift cards or pretty much anyone who has access to them (including a customer) records the numbers on the back of the gift card (or takes a picture etc.) and then takes a dummy card and loads the numbers onto the magnetic strip. Then, they keep checking balances online until money shows up on the card. Once it does, they use the dummy card to buy stuff and drain the balance. By forcing the customer to pay in store, the store might have a better chance to stop fraud because the dummy card would have to be presented to the cashier and thus be cloned in appearance along with the info on the magnetic strip. At the pump, the card could be any old card from anywhere but just have the correct info on the magnetic strip.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16507 posts
3609 upvotes
Toronto
Big problem in Esso-land (at least with SDM Esso gift cards).

In-store might be a good solution.
RedFlagDeals addict