Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Globe Smart Plug - $9.99 (April 5th - 11th)

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 10:54 am
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1401 posts
572 upvotes
Cambridge
Both of mine paired with zero issues. Make sure your phone is connected to 2.4ghz before pairing and not 5ghz.
Jul 11, 2009
355 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
pendragon wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 12:40 pm
Hardly think this is any less quality then the ones at Costco.... even the source has this exact same plug for $24.99 and reviews are pretty positive...
i assumed it was the exact same thing, and wasn't doubting the quality. costco return policy just gives alittle piece of mind.

anyways, was just doin the weekend shopping and saw the CE smarthome plugs at Costco now $ 19 for 2 plugs, so alittle cheaper. as I already had a couple of these, i just decided to stick with what i know and get a couple more.
Images
  • _DSC0541.JPG
Dec 9, 2018
27 posts
11 upvotes
Paired one this morning using app. Now app doesn't work. Reinstalled but still not showing my setup. Anyone else having the same issue.
Oct 22, 2005
578 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
I paired three of them this morning and all are working fine...absolutely no issues... Makes sure when initially pairing your connected to a 2.4ghz wifi network...as the pairing has to be done that way through the application... After pairing was done... I switched my phone back onto my 5ghz Wi-Fi network... Everything works great...plugs respond perfectly... I also added in 4 smart bulbs...no issues...
Dec 9, 2018
27 posts
11 upvotes
I had no problem pairing the device. Its when I opened the app later in the day to setup another plug and was adding another room it got all screwed up. Now my original plug I set up doesn't show and the app keeps giving error messages
Jan 14, 2010
226 posts
37 upvotes
GTA
amiratish wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 3:10 pm
I had the Costco ones, one of them worked and second one I could not set it up at all, returned it. is this the same crap?

First one set up fine... Second one doesn't even turn on. Sigh
Dec 11, 2007
241 posts
78 upvotes
Maaaan. I think this smart plug broke my air purifier. I connected my air purifier to it and turned it on manually. Then I turned off the plug using the globe app. Then when I turned on the plug using the globe app my air purifier wouldn't turn on. So I thought the problem may be with the smart plug so I connected my air purifier to a normal plug and it wouldn't turn on still. 15min later it still won't turn on. It is an old Sharp air purifier (about 10 years) but I never had any issues with it before util I plugged it into the smart plug. :(
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2760 upvotes
narmak wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 10:36 am
Maaaan. I think this smart plug broke my air purifier. I connected my air purifier to it and turned it on manually. Then I turned off the plug using the globe app. Then when I turned on the plug using the globe app my air purifier wouldn't turn on. So I thought the problem may be with the smart plug so I connected my air purifier to a normal plug and it wouldn't turn on still. 15min later it still won't turn on. It is an old Sharp air purifier (about 10 years) but I never had any issues with it before util I plugged it into the smart plug. :(
The smart plug uses a simple mechanical switching relay. It's extremely unlikely that it broke your Sharp air purifier. You should check the smart switch to make sure it is working correctly, but as far as the air purifier goes, you should follow the normal diagnostic procedures that you would use if it failed to turn on at any time - i.e., check that the remote control batteries for the air purifier aren't dead (most likely problem), check the power cord, check the internal fuse etc.

As it happens, I have one of those old Sharp air purifiers, so I plugged it into the Globe switch to test. Turns on and off just fine. Not a very useful thing to plug into a WiFi smart switch though - it won't turn on automatically with the power, needs a button press on the unit or the remote, and it has its own off timer. That's actually one of the most annoying problems with smart WiFi switches - so many gadgets of the last 20 years need a button press to turn them on after being plugged in, making it impossible to turn them on remotely with a WiFi switch. I had to ditch the fancy coffee maker and get out the old simple one that turns on with a mechanical switch.
May 7, 2012
756 posts
330 upvotes
JimU wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 1:36 am
i assumed it was the exact same thing, and wasn't doubting the quality. costco return policy just gives alittle piece of mind.

anyways, was just doin the weekend shopping and saw the CE smarthome plugs at Costco now $ 19 for 2 plugs, so alittle cheaper. as I already had a couple of these, i just decided to stick with what i know and get a couple more.
Which store?
Jun 29, 2017
257 posts
531 upvotes
Can anyone confirm whether the globe smart plug supports power monitoring? It seems a few people are interested (quotes below), but I haven't seen a reply yet. @SmartSupport ?

I'm hoping to use a smart plug with our sump pump. Our sump line froze up once and the pump ran continuously.

@Figman2 mentioned in another thread that in the "Smart Life app, there is the Smart->Automation feature. In there, you can set you the alert notification when the pump uses Electricity > 100W. There isn't an incremental value smaller than 100W. It goes from 0W, 100W, 200W, 300W, etc. ... A typical 1/2 or 1/3hp may take somewhere around half hour of continuous running to reach 100W. Half hour is still better than 5-6 hours as I found that the water was hot steaming after 5-6 hours. I look for a different logic to set up alert when the pump runs like 5-10 minutes but haven't found a way yet."
engineered wrote:
Apr 4th, 2019 9:31 pm

Do we know that the Globe one doesn't have power monitoring?
gameon12 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 3:39 pm

The literature and @SmartSupport seem to be silent on the matter. This would IMO be a valid marketable feature. So that's a "NO" unless someone provides evidence otherwise.
NowJoJo wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 3:51 pm
Does it show daily wattage usage? I want a smart plug to monitor how many watts my computer uses every day
Jul 11, 2009
355 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
narmak wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 10:36 am
check if the air purifier has a replacable fuse
May 7, 2012
756 posts
330 upvotes
robfun wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 11:41 am
Can anyone confirm whether the globe smart plug supports power monitoring? It seems a few people are interested (quotes below), but I haven't seen a reply yet. @SmartSupport ?

I'm hoping to use a smart plug with our sump pump. Our sump line froze up once and the pump ran continuously.

@Figman2 mentioned in another thread that in the "Smart Life app, there is the Smart->Automation feature. In there, you can set you the alert notification when the pump uses Electricity > 100W. There isn't an incremental value smaller than 100W. It goes from 0W, 100W, 200W, 300W, etc. ... A typical 1/2 or 1/3hp may take somewhere around half hour of continuous running to reach 100W. Half hour is still better than 5-6 hours as I found that the water was hot steaming after 5-6 hours. I look for a different logic to set up alert when the pump runs like 5-10 minutes but haven't found a way yet."
The Teckin on Amazon do monitor. Can that be used to setup alert? Hey they're back down to $25.49 for 2-pack https://www.amazon.ca/Compatible-TECKIN ... B07CZFDLXC

Edit: Added link description