Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Globe Smart Plug - $9.99 (April 5th - 11th)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2019 8:18 am
Apr 1, 2007
381 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
Sihotab wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 3:00 pm
Check again. I've added to cart
Thanks, ordered from Amazon
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16510 posts
4503 upvotes
JimU wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 3:14 pm
just checked. CE smart plug is indeed labelled 1250 W & 10 A rating
I might need the higher rating for a HEPA filter air cleaner for the house. I don't need a timer per se, just have to be able to switch it on and off. The Globe is 125 VAC - 60Hz; 15A max. - 1875W. That SHOULD be enough for me...
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5288 posts
1137 upvotes
bizstudent wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 5:02 pm
Same
What the heck. Ordered another 2. Maybe will just return once I get it and return on an older order as I already have 2 at home which I bought at a more expensive price.
Nov 28, 2018
18 posts
25 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 12:43 pm
It does not.

There are a few models that do, such as the TP-Link HS110. In fact all of the TP-Link smart switches support on-time recording, so if you know the average power consumption of the device connected to the switch, you can easily calculate the total power consumption by power x time. But these Globe switches don't even seem to have on-time recording.
Hi There,

Thank you for clarifying, however regarding this function, we are currently in the beta testing stages of this function. Once development is finished, we will update the plug’s cloud firmware. - So no need to buy a new plug.

Please see the attached screenshot for reference
Images
  • C07585B1-7013-4C57-BC2D-04C497371F54.png
Nov 5, 2013
11 posts
4 upvotes
MARKHAM
DougO wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 4:54 pm
I might need the higher rating for a HEPA filter air cleaner for the house. I don't need a timer per se, just have to be able to switch it on and off. The Globe is 125 VAC - 60Hz; 15A max. - 1875W. That SHOULD be enough for me...
Images
  • image.jpg
Jun 6, 2008
9 posts
Calgary
Still failed to find the device.

Used iPad with the app installed. 2.4G wireless network. When it is fast flashing, click “confirm “ in the app. Then input network password, it showing “searching”. When it showing 10%, the smart plug flashing changed to solid light on. Till searching showing 100%, pop up saying “failed to add device”. Tried lots of time, same result. What is the problem?

Thanks.
Jul 27, 2010
960 posts
683 upvotes
Victoria, BC
After buying a couple of these and liking them, I thought I'd go back and buy another pack of the Costco CE smartplugs... but I ran into the dreaded 5ghz bug where it refuses to pair if your phone isn't also on 2.4ghz WiFi. It's a major pain that's well documented in the ce thread. So I'm returning the Costco ones and picked up some more of the Globe brand, now that I know to hold, count to 5 then let go to get it to pair, it's much smoother, with no "you're not on 2.4ghz" malarkey.

Here's a size comparison to show the Globe plug and the CE Costco plug:

Oct 22, 2005
603 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
1_blue_pixel wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 8:02 pm
After buying a couple of these and liking them, I thought I'd go back and buy another pack of the Costco CE smartplugs... but I ran into the dreaded 5ghz bug where it refuses to pair if your phone isn't also on 2.4ghz WiFi. It's a major pain that's well documented in the ce thread. So I'm returning the Costco ones and picked up some more of the Globe brand, now that I know to hold, count to 5 then let go to get it to pair, it's much smoother, with no "you're not on 2.4ghz" malarkey.

Here's a size comparison to show the Globe plug and the CE Costco plug:

good stuff.. I first had picked up two globe wi-fi bulbs (also on sale for $9.99)...then the next day I went and picked up 3 globe plugs and 3 more bulbs...and today after work I went and picked up 5 more bulbs and 3 more plugs... I think I'm all set now!

I have not had any issues what so ever in pairing of these smart wi-fi plugs/bulbs using the Globe app... work great and love the schedule features... these are my first smart home products.

On a side note I also sideloaded the Globe app apk on my Amazon Fire HD 10 deal from 2 weeks ago...works great on the tablet too!

cheers!
Dec 24, 2010
63 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
1_blue_pixel wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 8:02 pm
... but I ran into the dreaded 5ghz bug where it refuses to pair if your phone isn't also on 2.4ghz WiFi. It's a major pain that's well documented in the ce thread. So I'm returning the Costco ones and picked up some more of the Globe brand, now that I know to hold, count to 5 then let go to get it to pair, it's much smoother, with no "you're not on 2.4ghz" malarkey.
Weird, my globe one required me to be on 2.4ghz to pair
Oct 22, 2005
603 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
crosby86 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 12:09 am
Weird, my globe one required me to be on 2.4ghz to pair
Not sure...I also set mine up by clicking on my 2.4ghz network on my phone..once all the setup was done...I disconnected from the 2.4ghz network and put my phone back on the 5ghz network and it works totally fine controlling the bulbs from on house or when I'm out on LTE.

cheers
Oct 22, 2005
603 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
I linked my Globe Suite app with the Google Assistant app on my phone and it work perfectly...I was under the impression I would require the physical Google Home speaker or need to get an Amazon Echo to control by voice.... but the phone only assistant works perfect... pretty impressed thus far...yay for no additional expenses!

cheers
Oct 22, 2005
603 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
Flyingkeyboard wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 10:03 pm
Does anyone know of this is compatible with iphones
Should be.... the Globe Suite app is available on iOS per the Globe Electrics website.

cheers
Nov 28, 2018
18 posts
25 upvotes
Hi There, to connect please ensure the following:
-Your Smart Plug is in pairing mode (flashing rapidly)
-You have entered the correct Wi-Fi password

If you are unable to connect, please try using AP Mode where you will have to connect to the device’s hotspot.

To connect using AP Mode, please tap “AP Mode” on the top right hand corner.

Feel free to contact us at 1-888-543-1388 or smartsupport@globe-electric.com for any further questions you may have.

Thank you,
Images
  • 49DDF19E-8D8C-4486-B80C-A7C959A8FEB7.png