Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Globe Smart Plug - $9.99 (April 5th - 11th)

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2019 12:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1707 posts
1735 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
engineered wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 10:20 pm
Anyone get their TECKIN smart plugs yet? Delivery was supposed to arrive on the 8th, but it's the 10th and it's still not here.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CZFDLXC

Yup, I returned my 2 globe plugs and got the 2pack lightning deal on the Teckin. I like them better, they were easier to pair out of the box and you can actually connect 2 stacked on one outlet.
Apr 22, 2014
438 posts
175 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 11:02 pm
Still wondering what people actually use these for? Not judging, genuinely don't know.
For me I really only needed (wanted) one. I have a lamp in my living room in my apartment that is in a corner but isn't controlled via a light switch. Instead of having to reach over a side table and what not, I got it so my lazy ass can just tell Google to turn it on.
Koodo Mobile: 12GB @ 55$
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10310 posts
9484 upvotes
Oakville
Sihotab wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 10:26 pm
I received my today via Canada Post.
WTF amazon. What am I paying for Prime for?
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 11:02 pm
Still wondering what people actually use these for? Not judging, genuinely don't know.
I have one I use to remind me when the espresso machine has been on too long.
Another I'm using to monitor power usage on a PC.
Another I use on a battery charger to turn it off after a certain amount of time.
My wife wants one so she can turn on a light in the baby's room early in the morning when she doesn't want to get up.
I might also put one on the garage door opener, so I can monitor when it's used but also turn it on/off remotely when we go away for extended trips.
Nov 13, 2014
173 posts
77 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I thought it was 9.99 until today, but on the website the price went up to 19,99. Neutral Face Shame, I wanted to buy 2 today. I'll wait for another special.
Nov 20, 2017
596 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder are these strong enough to work with a 5000btu window air con unit. I picked up two.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2752 upvotes
EananC641158 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 8:54 am
I wonder are these strong enough to work with a 5000btu window air con unit. I picked up two.
The standard breakers in your house are 15 amps, so likely no appliance would draw more than 15 amps from a 110v outlet. Throughout most of the house a wall outlet with 2 sockets would be on one shared 15 amp breaker, but in the kitchen they are often wired with one 15-amp breaker per socket because kitchen appliances like coffee makers, mini-ovens and blenders can draw up to 15 amps each.

These Globe switches are rated at 15 amps, so they should handle anything that a standard 110v outlet handles.
Dec 16, 2015
133 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Good deal,

But at what point do these become a free network roadmap for the manufacturers to resell?
Jul 11, 2007
368 posts
63 upvotes
GTA
theXshape wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 8:43 am
I thought it was 9.99 until today, but on the website the price went up to 19,99. Neutral Face Shame, I wanted to buy 2 today. I'll wait for another special.
it still available in Ontario for 9.99. I just order 2 to pickup in store.
Oct 22, 2005
503 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
theXshape wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 8:43 am
Depends where in the country you are...I'm in NL right now and the price also has gone up to $19.99 for the smart plug and to $14.99 for the smart bulb...they were both $9.99...I know in the Ontario flyer it says sale ends April 12 but in the my flyer here in NL it says sale ends on the 11th... also the next weeks flyer for me begins today the 11th ...whereas my friend told me the new Ontario flyer he has shows the new flyer week for him starting on Friday (tomorrow)

I picked whatever else I needed last night before the sale ended for me... I now have 14 bulbs and 10 plugs :)

Getting them at $9.99 was to me quite a deal considering the source has the exact same plugs going for $24.99 and the same bulbs are more expensive...also the prices were cheaper then some of the comparable brands from amazon/ebay
Jan 18, 2018
68 posts
14 upvotes
longwangwl wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 8:00 pm
Still failed to find the device.

Used iPad with the app installed. 2.4G wireless network. When it is fast flashing, click “confirm “ in the app. Then input network password, it showing “searching”. When it showing 10%, the smart plug flashing changed to solid light on. Till searching showing 100%, pop up saying “failed to add device”. Tried lots of time, same result. What is the problem?

Thanks.
I had no luck with 2.4G network.
When I did it with AP mode, it worked on the first try.
pendragon wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 1:00 am
I linked my Globe Suite app with the Google Assistant app on my phone and it work perfectly...I was under the impression I would require the physical Google Home speaker or need to get an Amazon Echo to control by voice.... but the phone only assistant works perfect... pretty impressed thus far...yay for no additional expenses!

cheers
How?
I loaded google home app, I tried to add something "already set up" device (since I paired it using globe suite).
When I did that, I picked globe suite and put in user/pass and it seemed successful. But then nothing shows up in my google home (well, just my Shield which was already there).

What did you do to get it added?

Edit:
(nevermind, got it to work)
Oct 22, 2005
503 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
a2younis wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 12:50 pm
I had no luck with 2.4G network.
When I did it with AP mode, it worked on the first try.

How?
I loaded google home app, I tried to add something "already set up" device (since I paired it using globe suite).
When I did that, I picked globe suite and put in user/pass and it seemed successful. But then nothing shows up in my google home (well, just my Shield which was already there).

What did you do to get it added?

Edit:
(nevermind, got it to work)
good stuff...for me it would show linked but would never show in my assistant...after various troubleshooting myself...with no help from google who just kept telling me you need a google home device...I figured it out by accident..in my case I only had internet edge on my device as the main browser...well apparently unless you have chrome installed on the phone it would not complete the linking completely... it would say linked but would not take me to the next screen in the google assistant app....and then when I would back to the google assistant app... it would not show any devices...... after installing chrome...the setup completed and then I removed chrome as I prefer the other browser.

also don't forget to say "hey google sync my devices" anytime you add/rename a plug or bulb in the globe suite app...so the assistant can see the new add-ons.

works great :)
Feb 24, 2019
65 posts
50 upvotes
EananC641158 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 8:54 am

that's what I use mine for.

turn off AC in middle of the night and turns on during day if outside temp reaches 25+