• Sep 11th, 2017 11:03 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2074 posts
1160 upvotes
Toronto

[Canadian Tire] Good price on Cooper A/TW tires at Canadian Tire

I've been planning on getting a set of the Cooper A/TW tires for my GMC Canyon to run at least in the winters if not year-round. They are a highly rated tire that is designed for all-season use but are rated excellent in the snow and are 'extreme winter' certified for mountain pass use etc. They have the snowflake/mountain symbol on them etc.

Anyhow - if you're looking for Cooper A/TW tires for your light truck, they're 25% off at Canadian Tire. I stopped in yesterday afternoon just to confirm pricing and found them to be on sale. Then on my way to the checkout with 4 massive tires piled on my cart (I'll have them installed soon - need to lift the truck 2" to fit the size I wanted) the ubiquitous CT credit-card guy ran up to me and con(vinc)ed me into singing up for a new CT card to get 14% off.

No fees etc. and I've already paid it off. 14% ($92 for me) on the card as 'CT money' so I can go into the store and buy whatever I want with it. Will use it to pay for the tire install at $25 each.

My $220 tires were marked down to $165. With the tire fees my out the door price was $760 or so for the 4 tires and then $92 in CT money, so call it $670 for the 4 tires.
Last edited by torontotim on Aug 27th, 2017 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
37 replies
May 19, 2009
64 posts
22 upvotes
You're going to love them. I did a ton of research last fall and bought them for my F150 to run year round. They were awesome in the snow, look good and run quiet on the highway.
Mar 21, 2009
241 posts
174 upvotes
Hamilton
OP, What size did you get? (I just lifted my truck 2 inches with Bilsteins)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2074 posts
1160 upvotes
Toronto
zapperman wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 10:57 am
You're going to love them. I did a ton of research last fall and bought them for my F150 to run year round. They were awesome in the snow, look good and run quiet on the highway.
Good to hear. The stock 18" rims and tires on my 2015 Canyon only have 37000km on them but I didn't have winters for it (got the truck a few weeks ago) and didn't want to store a 2nd set of wheels for it ideally.

So I got a set of new take-off 17" rims for $500 w pressure sensors and 265/70R17 Coopers. Need to put a leveling kit up front - maybe Zone spacers or perhaps Bilstein RHA shocks instead - to fit the slightly larger tires.

Looking forward to a slightly better ride over 18" wheels and the confidence in the winter heading up to the cottage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2074 posts
1160 upvotes
Toronto
EK75 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 11:25 am
265/70R17 which should fit yours no problem with your lift. A few GTA locations show inventory. I got the only 4 from Stockyards.

Did you do your lift yourself? I rebuild motorcycles but don't have a level place to work or jackstands etc. and would just as soon pay someone to install the lift.

I'd prefer RHA shocks over a spacer kit and don't mind paying the extra money.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2074 posts
1160 upvotes
Toronto
EK75 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 11:25 am
In my reply I assumed you have a Canyon/Colorado when I mentioned the size I got should fit yours.
Feb 22, 2013
574 posts
427 upvotes
Op. Did the Canadian Tire rep try to upsell you on an alignment? My location tried that without looking at my vehicle or tires and I thought that was really inappropriate. What does everyone else think?
Jul 11, 2017
481 posts
554 upvotes
I have these tires on my silverado, they are extremely noisy, and are in no way a substitute for winter tires! OK in snow, but as soon as there's some ice it's like having summer tires on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2074 posts
1160 upvotes
Toronto
sparkaction wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 12:15 pm
Op. Did the Canadian Tire rep try to upsell you on an alignment? My location tried that without looking at my vehicle or tires and I thought that was really inappropriate. What does everyone else think?
No up-sell, but I didn't have them installed either so perhaps there would have been some pressure. When I do my 2" front end lift I'll be doing an alignment. I'd never think to do an alignment simply because I was swapping tires or wheels.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2074 posts
1160 upvotes
Toronto
Bella125 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 12:20 pm
I have these tires on my silverado, they are extremely noisy, and are in no way a substitute for winter tires! OK in snow, but as soon as there's some ice it's like having summer tires on.
Thanks for the feedback - they're for sure the A/TW's?

Everything I've read suggests the opposite. That they're very solid on ice and snow. Perhaps not as good as a dedicated winter (I run Michelin xice on my other cars and love them), but miles beyond an all-season or traditional AT tire such as a BFG KO2.
Jan 2, 2016
149 posts
75 upvotes
Kirkland, QC
Bella125 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 12:20 pm
I bought the Goodyear LT Duratracs for my Ram because they have the snowflake we need here in Quebec. Good off road but not fantastic on ice. I ran with studded tires previously.
Mar 21, 2009
241 posts
174 upvotes
Hamilton
torontotim wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 11:29 am
265/70R17 which should fit yours no problem with your lift. A few GTA locations show inventory. I got the only 4 from Stockyards.

Did you do your lift yourself? I rebuild motorcycles but don't have a level place to work or jackstands etc. and would just as soon pay someone to install the lift.

I'd prefer RHA shocks over a spacer kit and don't mind paying the extra money.
I have the RHA shocks installed by a local shop But when I did so I ended up replacing the shock mounts and found a broken spring. If I were to do it again, I would buy the rancho quick lift 2.0 system. You don't have to worry about spring compressors or any of that stuff. Just remove the shock assembly and replace. Everything in the assembly is brand new.
Oct 7, 2016
89 posts
91 upvotes
Only dedicated winters with a softer compound will be good on ice. You can't run them all year though. The Duratracs are the better choice for winter in an actual A/T tire. BFG A/T KO2 if you're not running them in the winter.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2074 posts
1160 upvotes
Toronto
HausPoor wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 12:55 pm
Only dedicated winters with a softer compound will be good on ice. You can't run them all year though. The Duratracs are the better choice for winter in an actual A/T tire. BFG A/T KO2 if you're not running them in the winter.
The Cooper A/TW is not simply an AT tire. Effectively it is their A/T3 tread with siping and extra silica. I haven't read any negative reviews and the comparisons with true winter tires have been very favourable.

They come with a 50K mile tread wear warranty and are intended for year-round use.

I've read loads of reviews and discussions on the Cooper A/TW, the BFG KO2 and others for year-round use and the Cooper has been highly recommended for snow and ice along with summer use.

If I was in a much snowier climate, I'd likely run studded dedicated winters. But I'm in Toronto. 90% of our winter is spent on dry or wet bare pavement, with one or two trips up to the cottage along the 401/Hwy 7 and then 4KM of plowed gravel road.

I've driven it in a MINI Cooper and a VW Golf in the winter, so I'm not overly concerned about the Canyon 4x4 getting in there even if it were wearing flip-flops for tires. The comfort of knowing we have good traction in snow and ice for the inevitable winter storm on the highway is what I'm after along with the convenience of not storing a rather large heavy set of wheels year-round in my small garage.
Apr 9, 2008
469 posts
181 upvotes
Bby
I ran these on my 4Runner. I was happy with their performance in all conditions . I would make two suggestions to anyone who is putting these on a truck:

1. Buy an LT rated size, not P-Metric.
2. Purchase the extra warranty on the tires. Manufacturers warranty is prorated after the first 2% treadwear. Any defect will still cost you money.

I drive my vehicle on dirt roads a lot. Sometimes I tow a light(<1000#) trailer. I got lots of flats, and delaminated tread on two different occasions. Both occasions required replacement of at least one tire. The second time required a whole set due to treadwear differences. The P-Metric tires are not built for anything but highway use. My set of tires was at 40% tread and absolutely destroyed after 25000-30000 km.

That said, I would still recommend them based on their traction across all conditions, and price.