[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2770 posts
425 upvotes

Canadian Tire - Home delivery and online dollars ending Jan. 29, 2009

FYI, rjust received this email:

"Dear Valued Customer,

Over the past few years, [rfdlink=1]canadiantire.ca[/rfdlink] has experienced exceptional growth in traffic, making it one of the busiest e-commerce sites in the country. Our research indicates that the overwhelming majority of the traffic to the site is focused on products that are heavily researched, but not necessarily suitable for home delivery (patio sets, tires, etc). This, coupled with the fact that we have an extensive store network with 473 stores located within a 10-15 minute drive of 90% of the Canadian population, led us to the decision to discontinue direct home delivery and to deploy our resources to development of capabilities and features that will significantly enhance the online experience for the millions of customers that visit [rfdlink=1]canadiantire.ca[/rfdlink] every month.

To continue to deliver on our commitment to provide customers with the best retail site experience, we will continue to invest resources to dramatically enhance the site. In addition to re-launching the site with a brand new look, new navigational functionality and even more 'how-to' information for our customers, we will also be testing in-store pick-up of online orders in a couple of test markets later this spring.

Effective January 29th, 2009 online sales of product (excluding gift cards) from [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire's[/rfdlink] website, www.canadiantire.ca, will be suspended. All orders placed before this time will be processed until delivered. The eFlyer program will continue without interruption.

Our records indicate that as a "My CT" account holder (username: mangoman), you currently have a balance of $XX.XX in online [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] "Money". Your [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] "Money" can be used for online purchases of all available products until January 29th, 2009. After this date and until June 1st, 2009, all unspent [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] "Money" will be valid towards the online purchase of gift cards only (available in denominations of $10, $25, $50 and $100). If by June 1st , 2009 you have not used your remaining [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] "Money" balance, please contact Customer Service at 1-866-746-7287 and arrangements will be made to mail the equivalent in paper [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] "Money" to your home.

You may also choose to donate your online balance to [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] JumpStart , a charity that helps kids in financial need participate in organized sport and recreation. An electronic tax receipt will be issued for any donation over $20.

To access your "My CT" account and make a purchase, please visit click here and login with your username and password.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter and apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause. Should you have any questions or concerns, please call 1-866-746-7287.

We look forward to serving you in 2009,

[rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] Online Team
1-866-746-7287
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
I got the email as well.

With a CDN Tire about 6 minutes drive away and me too "frugal" to pay for shipping when I drive by the place about 10 times a week ....

perhaps CDN Tire was finding their shipping service under utilized (or over priced .. shipping in CDN is expensive).

Strong implication in their email that they might be moving to an order online and order pickup at the store. That will be even better for me that post (and for many who live within close proximity of a store), not that good for those who dont.
Sep 19, 2005
199 posts
1 upvote
UGH if Canadian tire discontinued online shopping and home delivery why the heck is there still a "what's in your cart" icon at the top?