• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2009 5:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1342 posts
2 upvotes
sorry to hear that something had happened to you as a consumer ..
there's a lot of ways for you to look @ this ..

but what really the bottom line is, would it make all sense to sue them? to make a fuzz about this? of course it is, but i'm sure this is not the end of this.

if I was in your shoes, i'd be p*ss'd off and definitely would not go back there to shop @ all. Bottom line, they pretty much lost a customer with a big deal to them. All in all, they're pretty much digger their own hole regarding customer service.

I'll just make a mental note to not to go there at all.
PERSONAL FINANCE for Canadians FOR DUMMIES
EDUCATION is your best defense.

Got questions about your existing MORTGAGE INSURANCE?
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/in_denial/
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
27 upvotes
I'm a little surprised to find a thread about negative experiences at CT here, only because I figured supposedly shrewed consumers wouldn't be buying there in the first place.

Canadian Tire is the picture of arrogant self-content mediocrity that to some extent characterizes other large Canadian corporations.

I haven't actually made a purchase there in over 6 years, and only about 5 or 6 purchases since the early 90's. However I do vist every couple of months just to remind myself why, and to marvel at all the rubes shopping there.

You look at their "specials" in the bins at the front - some of their "specials" cost literally twice as much as they do in WalMart or Zellers! The household products cost more than they do at 24hr Shopper's stores and supermarkets. Common automotive products are more expensive than WalMart. Hardware is prices not competitive with WalMart or even Home Depot.

Their Store Brand (Fram) Air Filter for my car is $5 more than the same Fram at WalMart. Why do I need to pay that? For .65c of CT money? To help underwrite their financial services division? To pay some security outfit $20 hr to follow a guy all day over a $3.95 lightbulb?

Certainly not to help the community - I've kept up with the Job ads for years and their starting wages are consistently lower than what other discount chains and mass merchandisers pay.

Amazing how many people you can fool just by sticking a green maple leaf on your logo. :confused:
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1199 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
leung_jai wrote:
Jan 13th, 2008 3:51 am
When you said you were stopped by "officers" who had guns, were they real police officers or just guards ?? You mentioned they had guns but security guard cant carry guns at all....
Bingo. I call BS on the OP's story. LP officers cannot carry guns, therefore he's exaggerating... at which point the story loses credibility.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2006
1011 posts
247 upvotes
slim_shady wrote:
Jan 27th, 2008 8:54 am
Bingo. I call BS on the OP's story. LP officers cannot carry guns, therefore he's exaggerating... at which point the story loses credibility.
I remember that, on a few occasions, there were actual police officers standing by the exit at Canadian Tire. What they were actually doing was collecting Canadian Tire money for charity. The fact that their hands were on their holsters is either made-up or just a funny coincidence.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7270 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
maybe op got confused, and the lp officiers were actually carrying glue guns.

That or else markham and 14 is such a dangerous place that ct allows lp to carry mandatory guns
Jan 28, 2009
1 posts
I think you guys have your info a little messed up. Since the only person here who worked lp did it a little while ago I thought I would reply. I work LP for a company that sends investigators to Canadian Tire stores, I've been doing it for 4 years now and I've worked a ton of Canadian Tires, not the one at Markham and 14th, but a few very close to there.

The problem here lies with the person himself. When you work LP you are trained to observe individuals in the act of stealing an item. In order to make an arrest for shoplifting you need 4 things.

1. Selection: You need to see the individual select the item from the shelf, this prevents the possibility of arresting someone for something they brought into the store.

2. Concealment: You need to observe the individual conceal the item. So if he takes a light bulb off the shelf and lets say sticks it into his pocket or a backpack. You need to see that happen too.

3. Maintain Continuity: You need to follow the individual while they move around the store after the item has been concealed, and make sure they don't steal anything else or ditch the product you saw them steal.

4. I.D and Arrest: You need to follow the individual and once they have passed the final point of payment and EXITED the store you must Identify yourself by showing your Ontario security licence and notify them that they are under arrest. You are allowed to make an arrest in the vestibule just before the outside of the store if you have a valid reason to fear for your safety or if the subject is a known shoplifter ect.

What happened with this story is obvious, the investigator who saw you with the lightbulb sucks at his job and he decided that instead of following someone who actually stole something, he would follow you and make up a fake report about someone who stole a bulb and left before he could make the arrest. He probably walked in on you AFTER rule #1. But he decided to ASSUME that you took the item from the store. You are never allowed to assume, you can only base an arrest on things you SEE HAPPEN. He recorded your licence plate so he would have something for his fake report. This guy is a moron and NOT ALLOWED to do that.

What you or anybody can do is when the individual approaches you outside, ask for their security licence #. Anyone who is doing their job properly will gladly show you their licence and give you the number. It is also a rule that when on duty in full uniform or oustide the store a security professional MUST SHOW YOU THEIR LICENCE if you ask them to. Anyone can ask, you don't have to be a cop. That brings me to my other point, the Toronto or York Regional Police have NOTHING to do with security guard regulations. It is all done through the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, under the supervision of the O.P.P. If it ever happens again just walk up to them and ask for the licence and record the number. You can't do it while in the store if you're being followed because that is the only exception to the rule. If you're doing nothing wrong then don't worry about the person following you, they will stop soon enough. If you get outside the store and there is a problem then ask for the licence. If they refuse tell them that you are going to make a complaint to the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services. At that point the person will know that you have an idea about what he's doing wrong and you know the right people to talk to about it.

More fault is on the store Manager/Owner or whoever you tried to contact. They should have taken the time to speak with you. Isn't that their job? But I know for a fact it can get frustrating because 90% of the people we arrest for theft try to call the store and complain to the owner because they're "innocent". I've even had a lady tell me she was gonna put me on the news, and she wrote a letter to canadian tire's head office about it. What happened? Nothing. I saw her in court a month later and she was convicted of the $40 dollars worth of crap she stole from the store.

The bottom line is that retail investigation is a lot more complicated than people who don't do the job think it is. You don't just sit in a store and follow teens or people who dress bad. I've been doing it for a while and I've arrested EVERYONE, all ages, sizes, races. I arrested a guy once for stealing $12 of stuff and he had $1500 cash in his wallet. I've chased a homeless guy out of a No Frills with $150 worth of beef in his jacket. People don't always steal because they're good for nothing teens or crack heads, they do it because they think "meh, it's only 20 bucks what does canadian tire care?" and they think nobody is watching. But trust me, people are. Physical security, people watching cameras, and loss prevention investigators.

By the way Loss prevention officers don't make minimum wage, it's pretty rude of anyone to take a bad experience and resort to insulting other people in the profession who actually do their job properly. When I started I was making $15/hr, that's nothing close to minimum wage. Long gone are the days where even normal security guards make 9 bucks and hr, let alone plain clothes retail investigators.

Canadian tire stores are franchised, so the owner of the store hires the company to do the security work. Every store is different, my company does about 30 canadian tire stores but we don't do them all because some owners hire other companies to do it for them. The problem here lies with the investigator as an individual, not canadian tire, and not people who work security in general.

Also security guards in Ontario can't carry guns. Armoured car drivers do but they are not considered "security guards" by the ministry.

I hope I cleared up some of the mis-conceptions about plainclothes loss prevention officers