Credit Cards

Canadian Tire MasterCard - Had enough, CANCELLED!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2018 11:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 4, 2013
35 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

Canadian Tire MasterCard - Had enough, CANCELLED!

[rant on]
I've had a CC with another financial institution for 30+ years and have never had an issue. I decided to get a CT MasterCard last year to take advantage of their CT money rates but I can't say I've been impressed.

First off - you can't use it as a CT money card unless you're charging something to it. Pretty much useless for me given that I prefer to deal with cash.
Now - I get lots of spam calls on my cell so I don't answer them unless they have caller ID and I deal with them, or they leave a message and identify themselves as such. I've been getting a few of these in weird patterns recently so I answered one today I was advised that I missed a payment in Dec and that my credit score is being affected. What!?! To make matters worse, it's a _trivial_ amount.

Canadian Tire, if you want to stand out from the hordes of telemarketers out there then please IDENTIFY YOURSELVES when trying to contact your clients. If you're going to behave like telemarketers then you're going be treated like them. You've lost my business.

CT's MasterCard wasn't worth the hassle, at least for me. CANCELLED!
[/rant off]
23 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
3481 posts
2095 upvotes
Where am I? That is …
1. If you prefer to deal with cash, why get the credit card to begin with?
2. I don’t remember getting a call from ANY telemarketer in my life that clearly states on the display, exactly who they are.
3. If you missed a payment on the card, who’s fault is that?
Perhaps all the calls you’ve been ignoring has been them kindly reminding you that you may have forgotten your payment, and had you answered the call instead of being a paranoid call screener, you could have prevented damage to your credit rating?

Don’t see where any of this is is the fault of CTFS.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2871 posts
1671 upvotes
ENT463 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:25 pm
[rant on]
I've had a CC with another financial institution for 30+ years and have never had an issue. I decided to get a CT MasterCard last year to take advantage of their CT money rates but I can't say I've been impressed.

First off - you can't use it as a CT money card unless you're charging something to it. Pretty much useless for me given that I prefer to deal with cash.
Now - I get lots of spam calls on my cell so I don't answer them unless they have caller ID and I deal with them, or they leave a message and identify themselves as such. I've been getting a few of these in weird patterns recently so I answered one today I was advised that I missed a payment in Dec and that my credit score is being affected. What!?! To make matters worse, it's a _trivial_ amount.

Canadian Tire, if you want to stand out from the hordes of telemarketers out there then please IDENTIFY YOURSELVES when trying to contact your clients. If you're going to behave like telemarketers then you're going be treated like them. You've lost my business.

CT's MasterCard wasn't worth the hassle, at least for me. CANCELLED!
[/rant off]
Entirely your fault for not answering calls or checking your statement. Who forgets to pay their credit card?? Especially if it's a _trivial_ amount.

Why the heck did you apply for a credit card if you prefer paying cash?? Makes no sense, of course you won't get any extra points/CT$ unless you actually use the card... Same goes for every other credit card out there.

Finally, CT is an awful store full of awful sales... Not sure why you'd be enticed to buy anything there, let alone sign up for their credit card...
Sep 4, 2017
202 posts
55 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 7:37 am
Entirely your fault for not answering calls or checking your statement. Who forgets to pay their credit card?? Especially if it's a _trivial_ amount.

Why the heck did you apply for a credit card if you prefer paying cash?? Makes no sense, of course you won't get any extra points/CT$ unless you actually use the card... Same goes for every other credit card out there.

Finally, CT is an awful store full of awful sales... Not sure why you'd be enticed to buy anything there, let alone sign up for their credit card...
Well I did get some good Kitchen Aid Cast Iron frypans about two years ago. But you are right there is a reason why it is called “crappy tire”.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2013
35 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
coolintheshade wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:11 pm
1. If you prefer to deal with cash, why get the credit card to begin with?
My first reaction was "I don't need another card" but I was in for some tires and they hit me up with a decent one time deal if I signed up for the card. I was also (naively) expecting that I would also be able to use the card to accumulate CT money for cash purchases. FWIW, I remember when they used to give out 5% CT money on cash purchases - now it's down to a tenth of that and they're granting ~2% for credit purchases. Funny how times have changed.
coolintheshade wrote:
2. I don’t remember getting a call from ANY telemarketer in my life that clearly states on the display, exactly who they are.
I'm not sure you understand my complaint on this, and it's the crux of the issue - they called looking like a telemarketer. My complaint is that, in this day and age, they should have done something different to identify themselves. They should expect people to ignore their calls if they don't.
coolintheshade wrote:
3. If you missed a payment on the card, who’s fault is that?
Perhaps all the calls you’ve been ignoring has been them kindly reminding you that you may have forgotten your payment, and had you answered the call instead of being a paranoid call screener, you could have prevented damage to your credit rating?
Fair enough. Perhaps it's all in the delivery. In my mind, they should have called from a caller id based line or left a voicemail message. I would have certainly appreciated the reminder and this could have been dealt with immediately.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2013
35 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
lola99 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 7:46 am
Well I did get some good Kitchen Aid Cast Iron frypans about two years ago. But you are right there is a reason why it is called “crappy tire”.
I've been a loyal CT customer for decades but after this experience, I finally agree with "crappy tire".
Jan 5, 2018
198 posts
93 upvotes
ENT463 wrote:
[rant on]
lol how are you supposed to even earn the CT money in the first place if you don't use the card?
ENT463 wrote:
I've been getting a few of these in weird patterns recently so I answered one today I was advised that I missed a payment in Dec and that my credit score is being affected. What!?! To make matters worse, it's a _trivial_ amount.
Why are you so surprised? You missed a payment and as a result, your credit score is affected. 1+1=2. Doesn't matter what amount it is.

I don't know man...all in all, none of what you mentioned seem to be actual problems. Mostly they're a creation of your own mistakes and spending habits. As an aside, why do you prefer to deal with cash anyway? It's more of a hassle and most importantly for an RFDer, you lose out on potential rewards!
Jul 8, 2009
597 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
ENT463 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:01 am
I was also (naively) expecting that I would also be able to use the card to accumulate CT money for cash purchases.
This is the only part of the story where I can sort of understand you. I had the Best Buy Reward Zone Visa and the card itself acted as the RZ ID. It was the wrong assumption, but I can see how you can make it.

Everything else in your story is your own fault. You didn't pay the bill. They called to remind you. You didn't want to hear it.

No, this card is not for you. Cancel it, live your life, be happy dealing in cash. But there's no point in coming here and whining about it. CT did nothing wrong.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
3481 posts
2095 upvotes
Where am I? That is …
Mercury048 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:50 am
This is the only part of the story where I can sort of understand you. I had the Best Buy Reward Zone Visa and the card itself acted as the RZ ID. It was the wrong assumption, but I can see how you can make it.

Everything else in your story is your own fault. You didn't pay the bill. They called to remind you. You didn't want to hear it.

No, this card is not for you. Cancel it, live your life, be happy dealing in cash. But there's no point in coming here and whining about it. CT did nothing wrong.
With the CT card, I think I recall receiving the credit card in one envelope, followed by the points card (for cash purchases) in another envelope, explaining that the points card had to be used when paying cash.
In any case, it makes no logical sense to me to pay cash for 0.4% return , when you have the credit card that will give you 4% return.
And if you only pay in cash (or prefer to), it makes no sense to get the credit card to begin with.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
18945 posts
6514 upvotes
Ottawa
coolintheshade wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:02 am
With the CT card, I think I recall receiving the credit card in one envelope, followed by the points card (for cash purchases) in another envelope, explaining that the points card had to be used when paying cash.
In any case, it makes no logical sense to me to pay cash for 0.4% return , when you have the credit card that will give you 4% return.
And if you only pay in cash (or prefer to), it makes no sense to get the credit card to begin with.
Not a true RFDer...as he still uses cash.
Dec 25, 2015
71 posts
24 upvotes
Brighton, ON
You can get a Canadian Tire Money card, if you just like dealing with cash.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
18945 posts
6514 upvotes
Ottawa
willowberry wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:47 pm
You can get a Canadian Tire Money card, if you just like dealing with cash.
That card comes with the CT Option MC.
He expected to use the Option MC as a Money Card, so he doesn't need to carry both cards.
Dec 21, 2007
464 posts
93 upvotes
Scarborough
I have the CT Mastercard, but prior to that I had picked up the CT Money card in store (had it, and also had it on my phone). When I got the MC, I had them use the same CT Money number. Yes I can't use the MC as just a point card, but I can use the other one, or the app if I really want to pay in cash. Not sure why you would though, as why not get the 'points', plus 4% back assuming it is a CT Options MC by putting it on credit.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Dec 25, 2015
71 posts
24 upvotes
Brighton, ON
I never got a CT Money Card when I got the Options MC