Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Mastercraft-20v Cordless Impact Wrench ½ inch $129.99 Reg $249.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2019 11:47 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1981 posts
1662 upvotes
LOL at people suggesting using first a breaker bar (to loosen the bolts/nuts) AND then using this (or other) impact wrench to simply unscrew the loosened bolts. At that stage there is no need for an IMPACT wrench, any $29 drill with a $2 adapter can simply unscrew the loosened bolts...
Mar 14, 2003
628 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
ahoroba wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 4:00 pm
LOL at people suggesting using first a breaker bar (to loosen the bolts/nuts) AND then using this (or other) impact wrench to simply unscrew the loosened bolts. At that stage there is no need for an IMPACT wrench, any $29 drill with a $2 adapter can simply unscrew the loosened bolts...
agreed, this impact wrench is pretty useless -- get something better
Penalty Box
Sep 25, 2007
140 posts
24 upvotes
Niagara Falls
beachlover wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 12:40 pm
I always use a breaker bar to loosen, and final tighten lug nuts. Using these type of impact wrenches only for the tedious spinning on and off.
That's what I do also. I feel more comfortable cracking them by hand while the tires are on the ground. In the air the impact wrench is super quick at taking the lugnuts off. I bought a bunch of torque sticks which makes putting them back on quick and easy. The first time I used them I checked the torgue with a torque wrench and it was pretty good. Not perfect but I didn' need to re-torque any of them.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2016
62 posts
29 upvotes
ahoroba wrote:
Exactly why I still have my 18v DeWalt combo that's very old but still does the trick. I would like to get a drill one day that can break my lug nuts free if this thing really has 150 lbs of torque it would take F150 nuts off if they are torqued to the proper 120-140. I don't need a crazy drill but won't throw away $130 on something that is junk just this thing seemed to have some really great reviews.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14345 posts
3671 upvotes
London
matssundin15 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 7:26 pm
Exactly why I still have my 18v DeWalt combo that's very old but still does the trick. I would like to get a drill one day that can break my lug nuts free if this thing really has 150 lbs of torque it would take F150 nuts off if they are torqued to the proper 120-140. I don't need a crazy drill but won't throw away $130 on something that is junk just this thing seemed to have some really great reviews.
150 ft-lbs is the dynamic torque, as in the nut is moving already
The torque needed to break the nut loose and start it moving ( static torque) is going higher. It could be as high as 300-400 ft-lbs

This is the $149 HD deal that the other posters were discussing. Gun + battery + charger , 450 ftlb
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/home-de ... h-2268767/
beachlover wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 12:40 pm
I always use a breaker bar to loosen, and final tighten lug nuts. Using these type of impact wrenches only for the tedious spinning on and off.
ahoroba wrote:
You guys realise that once the nut is loose, an X / cross wrench can spin off lug nuts almost as fast? It costs like $15, needs no battery and can be carried in the car all the time
A lot of the time, the X wrench can even break the nut loose too

Fast forward to 7:20 in this video

Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1856 posts
1216 upvotes
Montreal, QC
matssundin15 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 7:26 pm
If they are properly torqued to 120-140, there is no way this thing will break them free after the season is done. Ideal world, it may be the case, but in real world, after the season is done, they are stuck from rust, seizing, and friction is increased, etc.. So breaking force is significantly higher. Sometimes even the well respected IR231 classic pneumatic impact could have an issue with those bolts at the end of a season, which is why I went to the Aircat 1150 (pneumatic).

For electric cordless, the Milwaukee units are king (for now at least). None even come close. Not even the overpriced Snap-On CT8850G. And then there multiple 450 ft lbs units by dewalt, ridgid, and even ryobi which would get most jobs done. Obviously with the right battery. Be careful with the lower Ah batteries, because many of them also have a lower max discharge rate. I noticed that with a ryobi set and a Makita set. On the Ryobi, I used the small batteries on a circular saw, and even though it lasts, it would constantly jam. With the high capacity battery (which I took from my weed trimmer), there is no way to hold it back. And on a makita set, I had a hand blower, and with the smaller battery pack, it barely gets enough airflow and it is tedious. Using the larger packs, not only does it last longer, but the quantity of air was huge compared to using the smaller packs. So the smaller packs don't only last less, but often have a lower max discharge rate, so you can't get the max power out of your tools.

For the average home user, who will be using this mostly for tire changes, just get the mastercraft electric unit..
This one is on sale this week for $79. At that price, even if it dies after it's 3 yr warranty, you will at least have saved more than that in tire changes. So the investment easily pays for itself.
Also get a set of impact sockets... This large kit is on sale this week. Or get some smaller sets with the sizes you need when they regularly go on sale. I think this set goes on sale for $20 quite regularly (choose either metric or SAE - or pick up one of each Smiling Face With Sunglasses )...

Keep in mind, that if you plan to use that LONG (50ft or 100ft) orange/yellow 18AWG extension you use in the garden, you will be disappointed. The voltage drops over that length will make the impact feel sluggish and underpowered. Use a decent extension cord (14AWG at least, or 16AWG at the very least).
Sep 15, 2015
315 posts
200 upvotes
Mooooonnn
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 12:45 pm
Show a Milwaukee or Ridgid impact kit for $130
I got the Ridgid x5 one 2 weeks ago from Home Depot for $149
One punch, ouch man
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2371 posts
926 upvotes
Burnaby
spend more, buy the Ridgid kit if you can find one. $189 or even down to $99 in some places.

even the Mastercraft electric is junk and weighs a ton. I consider mine $ wasted. my Ridgid wrench is like a feather compared to a corded one.

impact wrench for removing nuts, torque wrench for tightening.

as far as carrying the manual x wrench in the car...i can walk to work for free and i guess easily but i bough a car for that. same with washing dishes, got a dishwasher.